IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Iriartea deltoidea

realarch

Took about ten years to finally flower, found that big horn shaped spathe on the ground this morning. 

Handsome, robust, and fast growing palm. The whitish trunk stands out amount all the brown and green. 

Abundant Central and South American palm. 

Tim

C89A7968-B719-48E9-865A-B73DC4A7CCF7.jpeg

AA40D0CB-8802-4BB6-88B8-B7BA3A0673A7.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tall, straight as an arrow, with cool leaflets.

Tim

21D21551-6D7C-4996-8069-DA30125E282B.jpeg

D488704E-E32F-40EC-99EE-DE43592B1AA5.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim, that is one cool looking, unusual palm. Never seen that one before, thanks for posting! 

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I would put these everywhere if I had more land. I love the look and how fast they grow and the seed sprout really fast 

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

That is indeed a spectacular looking palm! 

Thank you for posting!

Lars

Ha John, you just can’t help yourself germinating seed. Welcome to the club!

Tim 

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Perfect growing, Tim! Awesome specimens!

2 out of 3 survived volcanic eruption disruption in my garden, and continue to improve. Blue sky this morning demanded photos. 
EDACD073-BFCB-4D17-A70A-44DA4FCC5171.thumb.jpeg.3beab41340ffcf69c2b7678c2f7464c3.jpeg

F8B91601-A397-4C1E-BDD5-A4BD05232080.thumb.jpeg.5e406b83a67e3c247c7a49d58297c906.jpegWe 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• 5 months later...

For those familiar with both, what is your opinion of Socratea species and which do you prefer, Socratea or Iriartea?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Jerry, even though the two are closely related, they are such different palms. Both are special plants to me, especially after seeing them in habit.. Socratea is more diminutive in every respect, with exaggerated stilt roots. Iriartea is robust, beefy, tall, and a much smaller cone of stilt roots. Even the shape and color of the leaves are different. So, to answer your question, I don’t have a preference. :)

Tim 

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 1 month later...

Couldn’t help myself, the horn shaped spathe finally fell off…….a fountain of flowers. It’s good to look up once in awhile.

Tim

8F1AE401-35A7-4657-8D36-707379256FFB.jpeg

6851D5E2-D619-4CC0-A55D-45DF6919391E.jpeg

078FAE66-207B-4C12-A8C4-A49519D4BD2C.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

These photos reinforce my desire to plant a few more Iriartea.

Socratea is also beautiful, but a little more difficult to get to mature size - just my very limited experience. The "curly" stilt roots don't hold the palm in a super stable manner when young. Mine toppled quickly and maybe I ought to have staked it? Perhaps I should try again.

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Aloha Kim! A spectacular palm for sure with an interesting habit. 

My first Socratea, which came from Bo’s nursery, had one main stilt root in a one gallon pot supporting it. When it was young, stability wasn’t a problem, but new root tips would always dry out and terminate before they could reach the ground. I wrapped the root cone with shade cloth which seemed to help, but only a temporary solution. Eventually it exploded, growth wise,  and finally seemed to establish itself. As it grew taller I noticed it would really hula in strong wind events, so I ended up staking it with guy wires. A pain in the okole to put it nicely. Then one of those hurricane type storms took it out. I was actually kind of glad. Whew…….long winded and I’m not done yet.

A seed from the mother plant came up on it’s own and it’s root cone was well developed even as a seedling. So, what I’m trying to say is plant one out as a seedling, the younger the better might have a better chance long term. I’ll post a pic one of these days. 

When are you back on island? 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 12/29/2021 at 9:55 AM, realarch said:

When are you back on island? 

Tim

Sent you a PM

Kim Cyr