Walter John

Ptychosperma lovers

Dypsisdean

Bo, Yes, that palm is now known as Dransfieldia micrantha. I couldn't see the crown(s) in your pics, so I couldn't be sure. I saw those at Jeff's and it was love at first sight. I talked him in to selling me one 1 Gal. reluctantly. He wouldn't part with any more.

Check the June 2006 issue of Palms. There is a great article of the history behind this palm and the several name changes, with a great shot of JD next to one.

BTW---Jeff isn't having much luck setting seed. How about you? I would be happy to purchase several seedlings from you. :)

Jeff Searle

To Bo,and Dypsisdean,

Dypsisdean, you beat me to it. I think your dead on, that was definitely going to be my suggestion.  Dransfieldia all the way!

bgl

Dean and Jeff,

Yes, you're absolutely correct!! Thanks a lot! And I knew I had read something recently about D. micrantha, and of course it was in the June issue of Palms. I pulled it out again and glanced thru it and looked at the photos. No question - this is IT! I went outside and looked at the palm, and since I knew I had bought two of them (1G size, in AUG 99), I wanted to locate the other one as well, and I knew it had to be nearby. And no wonder I didn't see it last night when I took the two photos. The other one is 12 ft tall!! But no sign of any inflorescences yet. First, here's another shot of the small one (same as above).

Bo-Göran

post-22-1155172584_thumb.jpg

bgl

And the stems of the taller Dransfieldia micrantha.

post-22-1155172635_thumb.jpg

bgl

And looking up into the crown of the same palm. Difficult to get a good shot since it's fairly slender and there's a lot of stuff on the sides and in the background.

post-22-1155172705_thumb.jpg

bgl

And just to tie in with the night shot in Post 30: here's Ponapea ledermanniana - three individuals. Formerly Ptychosperma ledermannianum.

post-22-1155172860_thumb.jpg

bgl

In all the excitement I figured I had to get a better shot of the taller of the two (Dransfieldia micrantha), and nightpics are always great of slender palms.

post-22-1155196809_thumb.jpg

DoomsDave

Just planted a multi-trunker that I think is a MacArthuri.

dave

Walter John

My P robusta (robustum) has something fruity on the way (I hope they don't drop off)

probusta.jpg

Can you name my Ptychosperma to the left of the Veitchia joannis ? I bought them as separate plants from an old indonesian guy who claimed they were single macarthur palms. I think they are just solitaires, they look great to me whatever they are.

ptcyhosandveitchia.jpg

Walter John

Another photo of that robusta of mine..

probusta2.jpg

paulgila

wal-- terima kasih banyak untuk indah photos!

• Like 1

Walter John

(pohonkelapa @ Sep. 09 2006,07:11)

wal-- terima kasih banyak untuk indah photos!

No, I used my own camera.

???

Kris

Dear Wal  :)

fantastic palms pictures & terrefic photography.

thanks for sharing with us.

love,

Kris.

JimR

(spockvr6 @ Aug. 07 2006,12:03)

Im not a huge Ptychosperma fan (as they are similar enough in appearance to some other palms which grow far faster),

I was just wondering what palms you had in mind here.

Jim

bubba

This is one of those 2006 threads that provide a deep and a thorough tutorial…

realarch

Thanks Bubba, kinda nostalgic reading this old thread. I miss some of these folks and their posts.

Tim

• Like 3

Cape Garrett

Here's my Shefferi...a favorite.20220505_115123.thumb.jpg.675f0abb9fac19566dbf855dc347ea11.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Billeb

Wow! That looks killer. Great job. 

-dale

• Upvote 1

realarch

Garrett, that’s a stunning specimen. Heavy clumping palms like these can be shaped and culled to suit any preference and situation. 

Tim

• Like 2

Palm Tree Jim
3 hours ago, Cape Garrett said:

Here's my Shefferi...a favorite.20220505_115123.thumb.jpg.675f0abb9fac19566dbf855dc347ea11.jpg

Great job with this palm!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cape Garrett
On 5/5/2022 at 12:41 PM, realarch said:

Garrett, that’s a stunning specimen. Heavy clumping palms like these can be shaped and culled to suit any preference and situation. 

Tim

Thanks Tim.  This one I ignored for several years in a 3 gallon pot.  Planted it back in 2016 and it grew quite quickly.  Zone 10a to 10b here.  No Winter damage but a few torn tips from Winter winds.  I give this one an A+ for south Florida.  An easy grow.

• Like 1

bubba

This is a very skinny P. elegans:443FD9D9-B550-4C6C-8E49-74410312E70B.thumb.jpeg.3120773b066164a04369dd0865de2b82.jpeg