IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ptychosperma lovers

Walter John

Yes indeed, I love this genus. Today I bought a Ptychosperma schefferi. A nice addition to these I have already:

P.macarthurii

P.elegans

P.salomonense

P.microcarpum

P.robustum

P.lineare

P.ambiguum

P.propinquum

Very easy to grow palms, mix in well for that jungle look, hardy, cool leaflets, what more can I say ?

So what Ptychospermas do others have ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Some of the nicest looking ones seem not to have a name yet:

P. "Wotoboho"

P. "Bobuba"

I had a favorite Ptychosperma but it went Drymophloeus on me....(hentyi)

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I'm growing the following.

P.elegans

P.furcatum

P.salomonense

P.pullenii

P caryotoides

P.sp. Wotoboho

P. lauterbachii

P. propinquum

P. ambiguum

P. macarthurii

P. burretianum

P. ledermannianum

P. lineare

P. microcarpum

P. sanderanum

P. waitianum

P. vestitum

P. cuneatum

P. schefferi

As you can see, I love this group. Very tropical.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

>>> ... went Drymophloeus on me <<<

That's wonderful, CF!   First time I've laughed in the last two days ....

--the old sourpuss

• Upvote 1

Oh I forgot, I do have a small P. burretianum.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, I too love this genus, and not fully discovered over our way I reckon.

I have P ambiguum, P burretianum, P bleeseri, P caryotoides, P elegans, P microcarpum, P propinquum, P waiteanum, and P macarthurii.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Bob, I'll be here all week.  :P

I am growing:

elegans

macarthurii

schafferi

"PNG Solitary"

vestitum

solomonense

"Narrow leaf"

cuneatum

caryotoides

burretianum

waitianum

"nicolai" - supposedly a variation of burretianum

microcarpum

"kakambona"

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I don't have any yet, but hope to get a macarthurii some time, having read on PACSOA's site that they stay very small when grown in shade.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

P. burretianum

P. schefferi

P. lineare

P. microcarpum

P. macarthurii

P. elegans

P. sp. (solitary PNG)

P. sp. (clumping)

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Im not a huge Ptychosperma fan (as they are similar enough in appearance to some other palms which grow far faster), but I have a few of the common ones in the ground of decent size (a couple of elegans and 4 macarthurii), along with a small unnamed one that Ray gave me a few weeks ago.

My largest elegans is now seeding, so perhaps there will be some viable seeds later this year.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I like Ptychosperma sps...but my winters are too cold for most...I do have P. elegans that doing fine...

Are they any other species that are at least as hardy as elegans??

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

I'm growing:

P. elegans (double in ground w/ a foot or so of trunk).  It's adjusting to life in full sun.

P. macarthurii

P. caryotoides

p. solomonense

The last three I recently got from Christian.  They are just babies.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Here is a photo of mine I was told it was the clumping form of P. schefferi. It is in my screened pool enclosure and that it the only protection it gets.

100_1036.jpg

100_1035.jpg

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

P. schefferi it is and a beauty.

There is only a clumping form of this palm though.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

pacsoa.org states that it can be single stem or clumping. Is this still so or has this changed?

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

(tikitiki @ Aug. 08 2006,07:06)

pacsoa.org states that it can be single stem or clumping. Is this still so or has this changed?

Sorry, I did not know that, thanks for the heads up. I would love to see/have a single version.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Maybe the Bishocks can post a photo of Ptychsoperma "Paddleleaf" for all to see.  An amazing looking plant for sure.

Ray

• Like 1

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Aw, gee, I hate to be left out of the fun.

I've gut a bunch of P. elegans, including a Home Despot Special, about a million plants in a pot, in the ground now, getting ready to take over the world.

And, caryotifolia.

Love the genus.  Wish I could grow more of it, and kill fewer.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My future macarthurii should be on it's way soon, hopefully I'll have it some time next week, so I'll post a pic when I get it, although it's likely to be somewhat diminutive in comparison to everyone else's.  I'm looking forward to my introduction to the genus.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(Ray, Tampa @ Aug. 07 2006,21:42)

Maybe the Bishocks can post a photo of Ptychsoperma "Paddleleaf" for all to see.  An amazing looking plant for sure.

Ray

I've saved this picture from the old Forum. Lovely leaning trunk Ptychos indeed...I wish they can get seeds from it soon.

post-157-1155044412_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

What the ???

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I've managed to germinate Ptychosperma seeds of all the species available lately at the international dealers websites,

and also collected seedlings and small plants found in nurseries locally. These are easy growing palms for my climate,

but not so visually appealing plants IMO, except the solitary tall species like salomonensis,

when correctly employed in landscape,

resulting in a dramatic effect. I liked this small clump of P. burretianum though, belonging to a friend. The leaves arrangement is quite unique:

post-157-1155045176_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

just picked up a p.pullenii at phil's last sale.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Paul, I just looked up the P. pullenii on PACSOA.....really nice looking palm.  Are we able to grow this?  Anyone with experience here in So Cal?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(Gileno Machado @ Aug. 08 2006,23:52)

I've managed to germinate Ptychosperma seeds of all the species available lately at the international dealers websites, and also collected seedlings and small plants found in nurseries locally. These are easy growing palms for my climate, but not so visually appealing plants IMO, except the solitary tall species like salomonensis, when correctly employed in landscape, resulting in a dramatic effect. I liked this small clump of P. burretianum though, belonging to a friend. The leaves arrangement is quite unique:

They are a real combo palm I think. Plant them with other species and you get a neat mini jungle effect.

That planting of Carpenatarias and Macarthurs at Daryl's place is fabulous. I think there is a pic in the archives. You got a photo Daryl ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I got a cute little sanderianum seedling last October.  It's actually alive! and growing steadily.  It actually survived!   Needless to say, I'm very happy with it.

I had my eye on a bodacious elegans at Dolins (St. Pete), but the price is kind of steep.  

Who knows, maybe I'll find one at the next S. FL palm sale - always love a good excuse to buy palms from my favorite events down there :D

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Ptychosperma elegans is a very common palm here, and often used in landscaping. Here are three of ours.

post-22-1155102751_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(MattyB @ Aug. 08 2006,14:19)

Paul, I just looked up the P. pullenii on PACSOA.....really nice looking palm.  Are we able to grow this?  Anyone with experience here in So Cal?

matt-- i'm certainly going to try!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Well, this USED to be a Ptychosperma: P. ledermannianum. Now it's Ponapea ledermanniana.

post-22-1155105951_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And Ptychosperma bleeseri. This palm is about 18 ft tall, so what you see is just the bottom 5 ft or so!

post-22-1155106029_thumb.jpg

And finally, a little bit of a mystery. I lost the tag for this one, but I think it's a Ptychosperma. Any ideas? Two photos.

First a full view (and not that great, I'm afraid).

post-22-1155106142_thumb.jpg

And a close-up of a new frond that just opened up a few days ago.

post-22-1155106190_thumb.jpg

Bo, I'm not sure if that is a Ptychosperma, do the leaflets have blunt, jagged ends?  It looks like they come to a point.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Tim,

you're correct, they don't have blunt, jagged edges so I had doubts myself....I'm open for suggestions!

Bo-Göran

These grow like crazy.... My p. elegans that I planted has already put out 4 new fronds since May..... It's growing like crazy.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Bo,

Your last two photographs strongly remind me of a very similar palm at Ho`omaluhia, tucked out of the way and off the well-worn pathways.  It has small, thin thrunks and a red opening leaf.  It was impossible to get a good photo due to its secluded and crowded location.  

But I retrieved ripe fruit, processed the seed, and planted out a handfull.  I found that the seed had the folded characteristic of all Ptychospermas.  That's as far as I have gone with the ID.  The leaflets did not bear the usual chopped off look.   If you nail down the species, please advise.  Thanks.

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Famous kite surfing beach

Norm,

Very interesting! And if I find out anything, I'll certainly let you know.

Bo-Göran

Bo, Any chance that's Dransfieldia?

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Dean,

Wow, you're good (I think!! :) ). Actually, that's a strong possibility. I was trying to educate myself on exactly what happened with this species, so I checked the Kew site, which shows Heterospathe micrantha as the current name, and Ptychosperma micranthum as the old name. Is this the one that is now the new genus Dransfielda? And is that the correct spelling? The Kew site shows NOTHING under that name, nor for Dransfieldia or Dransfieldii.

It so happens that I planted two Heterospathe micrantha in this area. But I have "lost track of them" in the sense that I don't know exactly where I planted them. Have to see if I can find the second one. Both came from Floribunda.

Bo-Göran