IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis basilonga

realarch

Boy, talk about attractive palms for a garden, any garden, if you can grow them in your climate. Size, color, growth, and ease of care, just cannot be any better. Personally I think they look their best in a grouping of three or four. They have a pinkish blush that shows through the chalky white indument. The drooping basal leaflets, much like Dypsis saintelucei, make them even more appealing. These have been in the ground for a few years from small 1 gallon pots. A few photos.

Tim

E1C0D815-FC95-4BC4-BB18-6929BAD0A6E5.jpeg

1506197D-DE83-4D98-BE8C-228711462308.jpeg

26BD7700-D8D9-4030-A6EC-D487C35F27CF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Hard time getting that to grow.  Gets set back during winter.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I have two in the ground for a few years that have barely budged. Methinks they like a more tropical climate, but man, I love seeing pictures of this species. Nice work, Tim!

Have to agree with the above comments little on the slow side here but my little one is moving along. There are some seeding ones around San Diego County so I have hope 20210515_181504.thumb.jpg.96cf2e0d14ddcac5631496da7f7b13a1.jpg

20210515_181225.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Joe, Matt, and Adam, good on you guys for pushing the envelope! If I still lived in San Diego, I’m sure I’d be having a similar experience with D. basilonga. Part of the experience and knowledge base. On the other hand, I’ve got a date palm happily growing in a pot, but slowly.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim,

This is definitely one of my favorites. I'm very surprised how fast it is (1 gallon pot to a 10 ft tree in three years at my place). Its full beauty in the garden is difficult to capture in photos, so mainland growers are really missing out. I agree that they look very similar to Dypsis saintelucei in both crownshaft color and the drooping leaflets. I'd guess that they were very closely related, but Dransfield places them in different groups in Palms of Madagascar. How can that be? Are the flowers wildly different?

While not a speed demon for me, it is a consistent grower and a very attractive palm.  I have it on the north side of my house, where it gets shaded all winter by the house and has some taller palms and plants to it's north in my neighbor's yard, and to the west and east along the side of my house.  It gets mostly filtered light during the summer months when the sun is in it's more east west arc overhead.

20210124-BH3I2404.jpg

20210308-BH3I2992.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Rick, I. Guess mine are still to young and there has been no indication of flowers. I don’t have POM, but was also curious about D. saintelucei and D. basilonga. I need to take a photo of my flowering saintelucei and compare…..whenever that might be.

Tracy, wow that’s looking fantastic, honestly.  Looks like the right spot…..which can make all the difference in some cases.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 8 months later...

Dypsis basilonga is proving to be a faster grower than I expected when I planted it.  It seems to be competing directly with the growth of the Chambeyronia houailou.  I might not have planted it between the Chambeyronia and a Pritchardia had I realized it was going to be growing at similar speed.  The objective was to have it a little lower and create a more terraced look with the others growing as canopy above it.  Due to the narrow space, I can really only get photos with super wide angle lenses like the fisheye used below.  It's popping open a new leaf here in mid-winter, so its also a year round grower in this climate.  A great looking palm to try if you haven't already.

20220128-BH3I6698.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

Dypsis basilonga is proving to be a faster grower than I expected when I planted it.  It seems to be competing directly with the growth of the Chambeyronia houailou.  I might not have planted it between the Chambeyronia and a Pritchardia had I realized it was going to be growing at similar speed.  The objective was to have it a little lower and create a more terraced look with the others growing as canopy above it.  Due to the narrow space, I can really only get photos with super wide angle lenses like the fisheye used below.  It's popping open a new leaf here in mid-winter, so its also a year round grower in this climate.  A great looking palm to try if you haven't already.

20220128-BH3I6698.jpg

@Tracy Approx how far between the Pritchardia and Chambeyronia is your Basilonga? It’s difficult to tell with the lense. I still have yet to plant my Basilonga and like joe said above, it doesn’t do well in winter for us. I think it’s too small of a specimen to blast thru winter just yet. 
Btw…..your Houailou is looking awesome. Those are one of the prettiest trees out there in my opinion. 

-dale

On 1/29/2022 at 5:30 PM, Billeb said:

Approx how far between the Pritchardia and Chambeyronia is your Basilonga?

The Pritchardia and Chambeyronia houailou are about 10' apart with the Dypsis basilonga pretty much half way between both.

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

The Pritchardia and Chambeyronia houailou are about 10' apart with the Dypsis basilonga pretty much half way between both.

Tracy are you Zone 10b?

previously known as ego

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

It appears that different sources list my area as either 10a  ( https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/  )

or 10b ( https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-california-usda-plant-zone-hardiness-map.php  )

Lucky you. I'm between 9b and 10a although after this snowstorm we had it feels like 8a.

previously known as ego