realarch

Boy, talk about attractive palms for a garden, any garden, if you can grow them in your climate. Size, color, growth, and ease of care, just cannot be any better. Personally I think they look their best in a grouping of three or four. They have a pinkish blush that shows through the chalky white indument. The drooping basal leaflets, much like Dypsis saintelucei, make them even more appealing. These have been in the ground for a few years from small 1 gallon pots. A few photos.

Tim

E1C0D815-FC95-4BC4-BB18-6929BAD0A6E5.jpeg

1506197D-DE83-4D98-BE8C-228711462308.jpeg

26BD7700-D8D9-4030-A6EC-D487C35F27CF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

realarch

A couple more…..

Tim

0750E10F-B151-4872-A600-9B005D69706E.jpeg

68B0FD70-B9B4-414F-89DC-F5A765E8D8EB.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

joe_OC

Hard time getting that to grow.  Gets set back during winter.

Matt in OC

I have two in the ground for a few years that have barely budged. Methinks they like a more tropical climate, but man, I love seeing pictures of this species. Nice work, Tim!

akamu

Have to agree with the above comments little on the slow side here but my little one is moving along. There are some seeding ones around San Diego County so I have hope 20210515_181504.thumb.jpg.96cf2e0d14ddcac5631496da7f7b13a1.jpg

20210515_181225.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

realarch

Joe, Matt, and Adam, good on you guys for pushing the envelope! If I still lived in San Diego, I’m sure I’d be having a similar experience with D. basilonga. Part of the experience and knowledge base. On the other hand, I’ve got a date palm happily growing in a pot, but slowly.

Tim

• Like 1

Rick Kelley

Tim,

This is definitely one of my favorites. I'm very surprised how fast it is (1 gallon pot to a 10 ft tree in three years at my place). Its full beauty in the garden is difficult to capture in photos, so mainland growers are really missing out. I agree that they look very similar to Dypsis saintelucei in both crownshaft color and the drooping leaflets. I'd guess that they were very closely related, but Dransfield places them in different groups in Palms of Madagascar. How can that be? Are the flowers wildly different?

Tracy

While not a speed demon for me, it is a consistent grower and a very attractive palm.  I have it on the north side of my house, where it gets shaded all winter by the house and has some taller palms and plants to it's north in my neighbor's yard, and to the west and east along the side of my house.  It gets mostly filtered light during the summer months when the sun is in it's more east west arc overhead.

20210124-BH3I2404.jpg

20210308-BH3I2992.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

realarch

Rick, I. Guess mine are still to young and there has been no indication of flowers. I don’t have POM, but was also curious about D. saintelucei and D. basilonga. I need to take a photo of my flowering saintelucei and compare…..whenever that might be.

Tracy, wow that’s looking fantastic, honestly.  Looks like the right spot…..which can make all the difference in some cases.

Tim

Matt in OC

@Tracy impressive! I’ll have to go check and mine and get a few snaps.