IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Freshly dug Sabal Minor. Need opinions/Advice on proper transplanting for survival.

CoconutGambler352

Howdy everyone. ( I absolutely love this forum and The people that come with it ) 

Anyways, I was out and about today with my neighbor. While out riding around, we had went to a part of the county where Sabal Minors are everywhere but anywhere else in the county are few and far . Well I literally can spot out Sabal Minors in the woods, As we're driving by . 

Long story short, I got myself one that I personally dug out. For as long as I can remember, Sabal Minor has been on the top of my Must Have Palm Tree lists.

So, here I am, Asking for Advice/Help with the best proper transplanting for said Palm. Basically I do not want this to die. 

Removing the fronds, would be a good idea? Let the water trickle on it every night until dawn, for how many weeks? 

Here's the Sabal Minor that I have dug out. Like to get y'all's opinion. 

Thank you!! Oh and Yes It's currently in my Pond for the protection of the roots,  So that the roots will not dry out/up resulting in a confirmation for dying. 

20210514_115414_HDR.jpg

20210514_115337_HDR.jpg

20210514_115318_HDR.jpg

20210514_115331_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's been my experience that smaller "dug" sabals have little to no chance of survival.They don't die outright, but can remain in suspended animation for years with no new growth. Better success to grow them from seed,or buy one raised in a pot it's whole life,so roots don't get disturbed. Cut roots never heal on sabals. Give us an update if it actually grows a new frond.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

So how is it doing now? So I tried this last year with 4 of them and 3 died. The smallest one that I got was only 3 little strap leaves and he made it.  Trippled in size now! So from my experience I would try for the smallest if this one doesn't work.  Also they do have some in pots you can get. There's a place here in Lake Charles called landscape management that had 5 gallon ones for $18. Let me know if you don't have luck. Maybe I could send ya one.  I wish ya the best of luck!

@CoconutGambler352 The last time I was in Florida I dug 5 sabal palmetto volunteers and brought them home. This was in January, they were growing in 100% pure sand. All hope is not lost, all 5 survived and are pushing growth. 3 were strap leaf plants all 3 had 2 oldest leaves dry up and then they stalled for 2-1/2 months. The bigger 2 had palmate leaves each had 5, they were smaller than the plant you dug though maybe 3 gallon plants. They both started losing fronds maybe 1 every other week. One ended up with 2 leaves and spear. The other I thought was a goner got down to just a closed spear and stalled. After 2-1/2 months all of them started moving very slowly except the one with only a spear, I put them outside at the end of April and finally the one with just a spear is opening up. If I had to make a recommendation from this- Be very careful with the roots, keep it potted up with the soil very moist and out of direct sunlight. Maybe even in a garage or somewhere that is cool instead of hot since it’s going to be recovering and not growing at first. No fertilizer, and just be super patient. Really I feel like all of mine could have died very easily and definitely had a good amount of luck involved that I didn’t lose any of them. Really patience is key though, it may be 2-3 months before you see any thing happen, and that’s if it lives. 

Agree with @aztropic. Transplanting a large Sabal minor will almost certainly kill it because even if you try to dig carefully, you will almost certainly fatally damage the underground growing point. Better off to find one that has been pot grown.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

You didn't show us the roots. I think that's the key.  I'd guess (as others have said) that trying to move one that mature is unlikely to succeed.  Some have done it.  If it's young enough that you were able to dig the ball-shaped underground trunk then you have some chance. Definitely cut off all leaves except one and get it out of the fish pond.  Well-drained soil kept moist the first year.  

• Like 1

I've dug & transplanted quite a few & never had a lose. Cut everything off except the top few fronds & keep it well watered & it should produce new growth in a few months.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/30/2021 at 12:40 PM, teddytn said:

I’m very curious now, any update on the sabal minor?

I will post a photo of it's current state tomorrow morning. But the heart is still Green as ever, The heart and the surrounding cut off frond branches are very well intact, Not a sign of heart rot. 

I'm pretty confident that we have a survivor y'all!

On 5/30/2021 at 12:50 PM, Laaz said:

I've dug & transplanted quite a few & never had a lose. Cut everything off except the top few fronds & keep it well watered & it should produce new growth in a few months.

Yes sirrrr! 

Upon transplanting I removed every leaf, The heart is Green as Can be. I've kept the ground very saturated. From 17+ years dealing with Palms, I'm going to say this is a survivor. 

For anyone who is interested in purchasing one, please send me a PM. I will remove Sabal Minors of this size upon request.  No removal of the Sabal Minors until I receive the payment. 

For each sale, I will more than happy to send you a photo of myself,  Personal piece of mail, and photo Identify ( certain things will be marked off, for the safety of my personal info, ( driver license number, my SSN ) I'm sure y'all can understand my point...Incase my ID photo is downloaded by someone other than who it's originally for. ) 

Let me know everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

New growth will be the proof of a survivor. I experimented digging a few 5 gallon size sabal volunteers around my yard,knowing that they probably wouldn't transplant successfully. Still have a couple in the pots 3 years later. Still green - absolutely ZERO growth in 3 years.:wacko:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

16230781055684076800318286176435.jpg

1623078143672579396559361013835.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

On 6/7/2021 at 11:06 AM, aztropic said:

New growth will be the proof of a survivor. I experimented digging a few 5 gallon size sabal volunteers around my yard,knowing that they probably wouldn't transplant successfully. Still have a couple in the pots 3 years later. Still green - absolutely ZERO growth in 3 years.:wacko:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

HOLY F....Three years and not ANY growth...? WTF is keeping them alive and not growing, I wonder...? That's absolutely amazing

• Like 1

This is the Sabal Minor guys.

No signs of spear pull, or any surrounding. 
I've got high hopes for this Minor. From the many years of experience with Palm Trees, This has a very very high rate of success. 
The new shoot is actually beginning to "Prematurely" Open up.
Plus I've been watering it more than anything else...Some nights the hose is trickling on it all night and into the day.

20210608_002721.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So the big question... Did it grow a new frond yet? Mine are still alive,but still haven't budged a mm. Absolutely stuck in time.:wacko:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

14 hours ago, aztropic said:

So the big question... Did it grow a new frond yet? Mine are still alive,but still haven't budged a mm. Absolutely stuck in time.:wacko:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I had an in-ground Sabal 'Riverside' that I grew from seed suffer some kind of internal damage.  It started a new growing point and pushed 2 spears before stalling.  It sat for about 10 months without moving before I started seeing existing older leaves die off.  Sometimes they just take awhile to die... :(

Jon Sunder

On 6/7/2021 at 10:06 AM, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

That’s wild, clearly not dead, but also not growing….zombie palm! Lol. Have you pulled one out of their pots and checked the roots? 

Nope. Haven't checked any roots. Just sitting in their pots right beside everything else I grow so they get the exact same water,fertilizer,sun,etc. None have died,but no new growth on any of them. It's a sabal thing...

I would be very surprised if @coconutgambler352 got any growth out of his transplant either.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

I planted this beautiful transplanted Sabal and unfortunately it failed after a month 

5EFE7879-61DC-4964-AA29-8E83DE8C6DD7.thumb.jpeg.2616625e92ef17405b7bc38d9d19b6cf.jpeg

After that I planted this Sabal from a pot 

3AF42259-D054-4045-BD88-5AE50A64DB99.thumb.jpeg.61827424b5d52a85c2e5e86c20bcdd50.jpeg

and after 5 months it starts to open the second spear 

9A03B9DA-C66B-4709-9B0E-4CE9FE2934FE.thumb.jpeg.57c62dac37c9d648af47aa9eaf24c5fe.jpeg

It is slow but at least moving 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/10/2021 at 12:23 AM, aztropic said:

So the big question... Did it grow a new frond yet? 

YES I did!!!

10 hours ago, aztropic said:

I would be very surprised if @coconutgambler352 got any growth out of his transplant either.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Be surprised.... Brother! Haha

20210803_141931.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Husain said:

I planted this beautiful transplanted Sabal and unfortunately it failed after a month 

5EFE7879-61DC-4964-AA29-8E83DE8C6DD7.thumb.jpeg.2616625e92ef17405b7bc38d9d19b6cf.jpeg

3AF42259-D054-4045-BD88-5AE50A64DB99.thumb.jpeg.61827424b5d52a85c2e5e86c20bcdd50.jpeg

9A03B9DA-C66B-4709-9B0E-4CE9FE2934FE.thumb.jpeg.57c62dac37c9d648af47aa9eaf24c5fe.jpeg

Hey Bud!

That looks to be a Sabal Mexicana??? 

You Transplanted THAT Sabal from a pot??? 

That's actually a very beautiful Palm! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoconutGambler352 said:

Hey Bud!

That looks to be a Sabal Mexicana??? 

You Transplanted THAT Sabal from a pot??? 

That's actually a very beautiful Palm! 

First one (in the first picture) is a dug Sabal which is failed (the root ball was in a bag when it was in the nursery  and it starts to decline as soon as it goes in the ground)

Second one (the other two pictures) from a pot and it is opening the second spear now after 5 months 

I am not sure about the species of both BTW, really difficult to distinguish 

5 hours ago, CoconutGambler352 said:

What is y'all's opinion on the Sabal Minor, Now???? 

20210803_141924.jpg

Love it! This species is known to be notoriously hard to reestablish after a dig without trunk.:shaka-2:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

5 hours ago, CoconutGambler352 said:

20210803_141924.jpg

Looking at all the leaflets growing from that midrib…doesn’t look to be a minor, might have a palmetto or etonia. Awesome regardless, even more so really. 

13 hours ago, Husain said:

Beautiful palms, gorgeous there as well!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CoconutGambler352 said:

20210803_141924.jpg

Looking good so far. Its good that it opened a new frond.  I'm still a skeptic until it puts out another frond or two.  If you get that, then I think its golden and will be fine.    

• 1 month later...

Had a small miracle of my own...  I have several 5 gallon size sabal volunteers I dug out of my yard and potted up,just to see if any would reestablish. After 3 years of suspended animation,zero growth,zero death,one FINALLY started growing. Couple others next to it are still sleeping. Occasionally,miracles really DO happen.:lol2:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

IMG_20210911_135202106.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona