IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis onilahensis (upright form)

joe_OC

On 6/29/2021 at 3:25 PM, Tracy said:

Interesting to see some other upright forms like yours Joe.  I always thought of my clump as upright even though the leaflets hang down some, it's not like my solitary which is clearly a weepy.  Maybe my clump is an intermediary form, with not as weepy, but definitely not the upright "V"of a lutescens or ambositrae type of leaf and leaflet.  Clumping versus solitary weepy pictured below.  Perhaps others might think both are weepy forms.

20210629-BH3I4550.jpg

20210623-BH3I4442.jpg

There is a reason why they call it the "onilahensis" complex.  I have on that has similar fronds to your hybrid.  I think mine is a hybrid too.  It's right next to my weepy so you can see the difference.  The trunks look the same though.  I will take a pic tomorrow.  Just came back from business trip.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread for an update: 

Heres my Onilahensis upright form approx 18 months apart. It went into the ground about 1yr ago as a 5G.  Seems like it’s pretty good growth, I’m happy with it.  It’s not going vertical but looks like it’s working on its clumping. It had just split when I got it and now is working on 5 trunks. 👍

West facing, full mid day to afternoon sun. Doesn’t mind a bit. 

(Arch Alexandrae looks terrible but has since recovered and is flourishing.) 

-dale 

D009F867-5E09-44C9-BE9F-00B38C1DC08B.jpeg

C8558CCF-5F1D-4168-AB0D-FEC1C248E3F1.jpeg

Edited by Billeb
Spelling
  • Like 1

Wow, missed this thread, some impressive specimens growing well. 

I collected some onilahensis ‘drip tip’, ( the name the owner was calling the palm), seed a few years back and I assume they are the ‘weepy’ form shown in some of the photos previously.

I’ll snap a photo in a bit.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii