IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis onilahensis (upright form)

joe_OC

This palm performs so well through winter.  It is an offspring from Louie Hooper’s tree.

I have several seedlings from my own tree coming up with more seeds coming.

Palmpedia has this palm going down to 25 degrees.  From my research, it is one of the most cold hardy Dypsis.

Please show yours’!

BA07F63D-D917-4618-8805-3601859F5231.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 3

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Beautiful. I tried growing one, couldn't

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

13 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Probably just a dud.  I would try again, Meg.

• Like 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

2 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Palmpedia has this palm going down to 25 degrees.  From my research, it is one of the most cold hardy Dypsis.

I love the sound of this , let me know when you have seed available or seedlings =) 

T J 

T J 

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I love the sound of this , let me know when you have seed available or seedlings =) 

T J 

There are three inflos on the palms right now.  I have a few dozen two leaf seedlings. Wasn’t planning on selling them as anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

1 hour ago, richnorm said:

Yep, easy grower compared to the droopy form.

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

Is that Richard?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richnorm said:

Yep, easy grower compared to the droopy form.

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

Thanks, Rich.  What an amazing specimen!  That thing is HUGE!  

• Upvote 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Nice! I find the upright form to be a much more attractive palm than the weeping form.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, James B said:

Nice! I find the upright form to be a much more attractive palm than the weeping form.

Agree. Way easier grow as well  :greenthumb: 

• Upvote 1

I find even the seedlings to be quite attractive, dark green leaflets. Very elegant.  Thanks to ellidro.

20210515_130249.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Can anyone distinguish upright or weepy form as small, 2- gallon plants ?  I would like to know which form I have.  If so, I can post the image, thanks.

( Joe, your palm looks great !)  :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

On 5/14/2021 at 9:09 PM, joe_OC said:

There are three inflos on the palms right now.  I have a few dozen two leaf seedlings. Wasn’t planning on selling them as anytime soon.

If seeds become available keep me in mind =) 

T J 

On 5/14/2021 at 3:12 PM, joe_OC said:

@joe_OC about how old is your upright form again and from what size? I’ve got two (one 5G and one measly 1G) that I’m gonna throw in the ground shortly. One of the many plants you have that is extremely happy in our area :shaka-2:

3 hours ago, Billeb said:

@joe_OC about how old is your upright form again and from what size? I’ve got two (one 5G and one measly 1G) that I’m gonna throw in the ground shortly. One of the many plants you have that is extremely happy in our area :shaka-2:

That was a one gal plant about 12 years ago.  

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

On 5/15/2021 at 6:50 AM, James B said:

A mature, multi-trunked weeping form is a very pretty palm too.  They seem to be more petite in size.

• Like 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Wow, those palms are large compared to my four uprights, and mine have been in the ground for 10 years. Mine have produced many inflors and seeds, but none as huge as that bunch shown above. Also, most of mine are multiple-stemmed, one has seven stems in fact. My two weepies are growing well, flowering but no seeds yet. One of them also has seven stems. I consider both forms to be quite attractive.

• Like 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

5 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

Wow, those palms are large compared to my four uprights, and mine have been in the ground for 10 years. Mine have produced many inflors and seeds, but none as huge as that bunch shown above. Also, most of mine are multiple-stemmed, one has seven stems in fact. My two weepies are growing well, flowering but no seeds yet. One of them also has seven stems. I consider both forms to be quite attractive.

Agreed. I don’t know which I like better. I feel like all the droopy form trees I’ve seen take up more room width wise and the upright are just that….upright.  A larger droopy form is quite impressive tho just due to the different look of anything else. 

• 1 month later...

my Dypsis Onilahensis is not doing well....

it was fine and saw no growth for 2 months in the spring. Now that summer has hit it doesn't seem to like the heat waves we are getting as the lower leaves are turning reddish brown. 

Should i be worried? Does it need a shade cloth to get through the summer? it was a 3 gallon palm when i purchased it. Im in zone 9b. Any advise is appreciated. 

2 hours ago, EJ;) said:

my Dypsis Onilahensis is not doing well....

it was fine and saw no growth for 2 months in the spring. Now that summer has hit it doesn't seem to like the heat waves we are getting as the lower leaves are turning reddish brown. 

Should i be worried? Does it need a shade cloth to get through the summer? it was a 3 gallon palm when i purchased it. Im in zone 9b. Any advise is appreciated. 

So a little more information would be helpful  If you just got it in the Spring and it hasn't grown since you got it or if you just planted it and then now are seeing burn, then  I would say a bit of shade cloth is in order to let it adapt.  Larger plants have more mass and root structure to handle extreme heat.  I don't know if your recent heat events have been dry or if being on the Delta you get a little more humidity.  Dry heat can zap a lot out of most palms.  So add a little more background on the plant, including if its still in a pot or in the ground, post a photo of the plant and the plant in its surroundings so its apparent how much or little direct sunlight it gets, and I'm sure you will get plenty of good advice. 

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

14 hours ago, Tracy said:

So a little more information would be helpful  If you just got it in the Spring and it hasn't grown since you got it or if you just planted it and then now are seeing burn, then  I would say a bit of shade cloth is in order to let it adapt.  Larger plants have more mass and root structure to handle extreme heat.  I don't know if your recent heat events have been dry or if being on the Delta you get a little more humidity.  Dry heat can zap a lot out of most palms.  So add a little more background on the plant, including if its still in a pot or in the ground, post a photo of the plant and the plant in its surroundings so its apparent how much or little direct sunlight it gets, and I'm sure you will get plenty of good advice. 

Purchased it from Jungle Music back in April. It is in the ground. Gets morning sun. Afternoon Shade. It has been upwards of 100 degrees here!. Pretty dry as well. I get a bit of morning fog with the delta but it burns off by the middle of the day. I can get a picture up later today if the helps. another thing worth mentioning, there are ants all over it! I recently took out a palm next to where it was planted because it was slowly declining. I noticed in the rootball was a colony of ants. could this ant colony have moved on to this palm? would that contribute to its demise? I fear the same colony is now under my Dypsis. Not sure what to do. thank you for the advise. 

16 hours ago, Tracy said:

Snapchat-2062792322.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 3:24 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

On 5/14/2021 at 3:36 PM, joe_OC said:

Probably just a dud.  I would try again, Meg.

I'd follow Joe's advice and try another. AND a droopy type, if you haven't already.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This palm performs so well through winter.  It is an offspring from Louie Hooper’s tree.

Please show yours’!

Damn, what did you feed that thing, steroids?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I'd follow Joe's advice and try another. AND a droopy type, if you haven't already.

Thanks, Dave, I might. But since my failure way back I was under the impression - I think from the Riffle, Craft 1st ed. - that this Dypsis does not deal well with hot, humid days and sweltering nights. Is that so?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 minute ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Thanks, Dave, I might. But since my failure way back I was under the impression - I think from the Riffle, Craft 1st ed. - that this Dypsis does not deal well with hot, humid days and sweltering nights. Is that so?

Good question, which I'm not qualified to answer, at least not from experience, alas.

27 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Meg, D onilahensis is growing well at Nong Nooch, so I’d suggest they have no problems with it. 

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

On 5/15/2021 at 1:25 PM, Darold Petty said:

Can anyone distinguish upright or weepy form as small, 2- gallon plants ?  I would like to know which form I have.  If so, I can post the image, thanks.

Mine are solitary upright form in case that helps.

Please show yours’!

Very nice specimens, a very robust example of the species you have.  I have one that came to me through Josh that was originally a Floribunda seedling.  It was a robust grower and looked a little different when young than the rest of the batch, so Josh thought it was a hybrid of some sort.  Its been a vigorous grower and splitter.  Flower appears a lot like a typical Dypsis onilahensis and its got a really white chalky trunk like my weeping form.  It's been much faster than the weeping forms for me, but I may have kept those in pots too long and slowed their growth that way.   Flowers first, the whole Enchilada shot next and finally a trunk shot (next to trunks of Dypsis vonitra type I acquired as crinita).

20210620-BH3I4426.jpg

20210623-BH3I4442.jpg

20210623-BH3I4448.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/15/2021 at 12:25 PM, Darold Petty said:

Darold - You should post a pic.  I can't guarantee, but will give it a shot.

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

On 5/15/2021 at 12:25 PM, Darold Petty said:

Post a picture, I'll take a stab. I've got both kinds in my garden.

On 6/23/2021 at 12:46 PM, joe_OC said:

Darold - You should post a pic.  I can't guarantee, but will give it a shot.

Here it is, thanks Joe. 

( I would presume that this is 'weepy' and that 'upright' is a more easy grower ?  Is this correct ?)

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

San Francisco, California

I would say weeping as well, based on pics.  The biggest tell is how it grows.  Fast = upright.  Slow = weeping.  

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Awesome post. I put mine in the ground a couple months ago. So far so good. It’s about to bust open a few new leaf spears. It’s split into four so far, and I’m 99% certain it’s the recurved or upright form. This is one of my favorites. Got a bigger Queen planted near it to provide some canopy protection, as frosts are a concern here. I did notice a very slight lightening of the fronds a month or so after transplanting. It hasn’t gotten any worse. I attribute this to its slow acclimation to the clay in the ground. I heavily amended the planting bed about two feet down at around 50% “clod buster” from a local landscape company designed to be used with our prevalent Bay Area adobe clay. And I amended the planting hole even more with additional red lava pebbles for aeration, and for the slow leaching iron from the lava, given iron deficiencies are common in this clay. The main issue for this palm so far seems to just be a slight sensitivity to excess water. Hopefully once established it’ll do well. It’s just been mulched heavily with shaved redwood so I think will help a lot. So far a slow grower but I assume that might change after getting well established, judging from what others are saying. I’ll take some better pics and post later.

1714BB73-B163-4FDE-88D0-6FCC3772FA5F.jpeg

CCB903B6-B228-43FC-AF52-A7041B86B74B.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 11:11 AM, Darold Petty said:

Here it is, thanks Joe. 

( I would presume that this is 'weepy' and that 'upright' is a more easy grower ?  Is this correct ?)

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

Hey Darold, I concur. Looks like the weepy form, with the somewhat sprawling reaching leaves.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 12:45 PM, Tracy said:

Very nice specimens, a very robust example of the species you have.  I have one that came to me through Josh that was originally a Floribunda seedling.  It was a robust grower and looked a little different when young than the rest of the batch, so Josh thought it was a hybrid of some sort.  Its been a vigorous grower and splitter.  Flower appears a lot like a typical Dypsis onilahensis and its got a really white chalky trunk like my weeping form.  It's been much faster than the weeping forms for me, but I may have kept those in pots too long and slowed their growth that way.   Flowers first, the whole Enchilada shot next and finally a trunk shot (next to trunks of Dypsis vonitra type I acquired as crinita).

20210620-BH3I4426.jpg

20210623-BH3I4442.jpg

20210623-BH3I4448.jpg

Wow look at that splitting. I’ve never seen one doing that before, above ground.

On 6/26/2021 at 12:02 PM, joe_OC said:

I would say weeping as well, based on pics.  The biggest tell is how it grows.  Fast = upright.  Slow = weeping.  

Interesting to see some other upright forms like yours Joe.  I always thought of my clump as upright even though the leaflets hang down some, it's not like my solitary which is clearly a weepy.  Maybe my clump is an intermediary form, with not as weepy, but definitely not the upright "V"of a lutescens or ambositrae type of leaf and leaflet.  Clumping versus solitary weepy pictured below.  Perhaps others might think both are weepy forms.

20210629-BH3I4550.jpg

20210623-BH3I4442.jpg

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

Interesting to see some other upright forms like yours Joe.  I always thought of my clump as upright even though the leaflets hang down some, it's not like my solitary which is clearly a weepy.  Maybe my clump is an intermediary form, with not as weepy, but definitely not the upright "V"of a lutescens or ambositrae type of leaf and leaflet.  Clumping versus solitary weepy pictured below.  Perhaps others might think both are weepy forms.

20210629-BH3I4550.jpg

20210623-BH3I4442.jpg

I think your clump is the recurved form, or what people here are referring to as the upright form. Although it does possess somewhat weepier leaflets than others I’ve seen. There’s probably intermediate forms either from cultivation or hybridization in the wild. Might have some weepy genetics.

Some updated pics as of yesterday. He’s just a little guy.

EFEA0CDC-8E01-41C0-8CB5-3F279243F43E.jpeg

9175E450-BE94-438A-8FDA-C7D942062628.jpeg

4128DC34-B921-42E8-9E64-9DA4E5738D2C.jpeg

3C7D6A89-4F32-4743-82FF-9032217DD90C.jpeg

C179B531-CC54-42B4-9ACB-9B6A9DD58147.jpeg

• Like 1