joe_OC

Dypsis onilahensis (upright form)

joe_OC

This palm performs so well through winter.  It is an offspring from Louie Hooper’s tree.

I have several seedlings from my own tree coming up with more seeds coming.

Palmpedia has this palm going down to 25 degrees.  From my research, it is one of the most cold hardy Dypsis.

Please show yours’!

BA07F63D-D917-4618-8805-3601859F5231.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

Beautiful. I tried growing one, couldn't

joe_OC
13 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Beautiful. I tried growing one, couldn't

Probably just a dud.  I would try again, Meg.

OC2Texaspalmlvr
2 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Palmpedia has this palm going down to 25 degrees.  From my research, it is one of the most cold hardy Dypsis.

I love the sound of this , let me know when you have seed available or seedlings =) 

T J 

joe_OC
1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I love the sound of this , let me know when you have seed available or seedlings =) 

T J 

There are three inflos on the palms right now.  I have a few dozen two leaf seedlings. Wasn’t planning on selling them as anytime soon.

richnorm

Yep, easy grower compared to the droopy form.

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Phoenikakias
1 hour ago, richnorm said:

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

Is that Richard?

• Like 1

joe_OC
6 hours ago, richnorm said:

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

Thanks, Rich.  What an amazing specimen!  That thing is HUGE!  

James B

Nice! I find the upright form to be a much more attractive palm than the weeping form.

• Like 2

JubaeaMan138
33 minutes ago, James B said:

Nice! I find the upright form to be a much more attractive palm than the weeping form.

Agree. Way easier grow as well  :greenthumb: 

Frond-friend42

I find even the seedlings to be quite attractive, dark green leaflets. Very elegant.  Thanks to ellidro.

20210515_130249.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Darold Petty

Can anyone distinguish upright or weepy form as small, 2- gallon plants ?  I would like to know which form I have.  If so, I can post the image, thanks.

( Joe, your palm looks great !)  :greenthumb:

OC2Texaspalmlvr
On 5/14/2021 at 9:09 PM, joe_OC said:

There are three inflos on the palms right now.  I have a few dozen two leaf seedlings. Wasn’t planning on selling them as anytime soon.

If seeds become available keep me in mind =) 

Billeb
On 5/14/2021 at 3:12 PM, joe_OC said:

BA07F63D-D917-4618-8805-3601859F5231.jpeg

@joe_OC about how old is your upright form again and from what size? I’ve got two (one 5G and one measly 1G) that I’m gonna throw in the ground shortly. One of the many plants you have that is extremely happy in our area :shaka-2:

joe_OC
3 hours ago, Billeb said:

@joe_OC about how old is your upright form again and from what size? I’ve got two (one 5G and one measly 1G) that I’m gonna throw in the ground shortly. One of the many plants you have that is extremely happy in our area :shaka-2:

That was a one gal plant about 12 years ago.  

joe_OC
On 5/15/2021 at 6:50 AM, James B said:

A mature, multi-trunked weeping form is a very pretty palm too.  They seem to be more petite in size.

• Like 1

mike in kurtistown

Wow, those palms are large compared to my four uprights, and mine have been in the ground for 10 years. Mine have produced many inflors and seeds, but none as huge as that bunch shown above. Also, most of mine are multiple-stemmed, one has seven stems in fact. My two weepies are growing well, flowering but no seeds yet. One of them also has seven stems. I consider both forms to be quite attractive.

• Like 1

Billeb
5 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

Wow, those palms are large compared to my four uprights, and mine have been in the ground for 10 years. Mine have produced many inflors and seeds, but none as huge as that bunch shown above. Also, most of mine are multiple-stemmed, one has seven stems in fact. My two weepies are growing well, flowering but no seeds yet. One of them also has seven stems. I consider both forms to be quite attractive.

Agreed. I don’t know which I like better. I feel like all the droopy form trees I’ve seen take up more room width wise and the upright are just that….upright.  A larger droopy form is quite impressive tho just due to the different look of anything else.