IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Odds and Ends New Guinea

realarch

Scouting around the garden I thought I’d post some New Guinea species. 

First is Actinorhytis calapparia. Tall, relatively thin, seeds the size of golf balls, and recurve leaves.

Areca catechu. Again, tall, green trunks, and fast growing. On this island betel nut chewing is common with Pacific islanders and the fruit is fair game for poachers. I’ve not yet found anybody up a tree….so to speak.

A63266EF-3D0B-4CFB-8A58-39C22F5040E4.jpeg

E202A5B1-1A82-4BCD-A190-E54B53BAAAD1.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Areca macrocalyx. Pretty popular palm in these parts. The red crown shaft is variable and a fast grower. The color was more vibrant as a juvenile. They don’t get massive, which is nice.

Brassiophoenix drymophloides. Small plant, nice leaves, and colorful markings on the trunk. This one is still small and finding it’s legs.

Tim

88BF3924-1FD4-416B-9AAB-1CBD4B7C399B.jpeg

B5F5F6A2-883B-4C32-8F4A-C96B3098FE85.jpeg

5849AE05-95CD-4130-9BAB-05562FC7D7D8.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Calyptrocalyx hollrungii. Nice genus with mostly small palms. New leaves are usually reddish. The scale is great. 

Hydriastele pinangoides. Interesting leaves, smallish palm with skinny trunks. Mine has always been a bit of a bug magnet, seems I’m always trying to control some malady. Just can’t seem to remove it.

Tim

94E9CA65-AABF-472E-8621-831B8E40150A.jpeg

9C39D354-D7A9-4A99-BAA8-E467DBC25939.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Beautiful! I'm moving to Hilo in July! I would love to see your garden one day! 

• Like 2

I'm always up for learning new things!

Hydriastele chaunostachys. This one is still young and came from Kona side. Hydriastele is another genus with beautiful palms.

Hydriastele microspadix. A smallish clumper, nice scale, and leaves. 

Tim

790FF949-D4EB-4689-976B-5415D16492FB.jpeg

8B734C77-39E6-4EBD-BEF7-CF169E858BD1.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Ptychococcus paradoxus. Gee, I remember when these guys were cute, skinny little palms. Kind of get lost in the shuffle, I have to make a point to look at them. They have a Veitchia appearance at first glance and are very robust. 

Tim

27BCFF89-39C6-4691-94F3-EFF2953A9BBB.jpeg

856EBF35-9BC9-4EFE-8354-27311F6EB731.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Kyle, you welcome anytime. The move has got to be exciting.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

1 hour ago, realarch said:

Hydriastele pinangoides. Interesting leaves, smallish palm with skinny trunks. Mine has always been a bit of a bug magnet, seems I’m always trying to control some malady. Just can’t seem to remove it.

1 hour ago, realarch said:

9C39D354-D7A9-4A99-BAA8-E467DBC25939.jpeg

Tim all these are spectacular specimens you show.  This particular Hydriastele really stood out as novel in appearance, even among this great display of palms from New Guinea.  Thanks for sharing.  I need to try a couple of the under-story New Guinea palms even though most will be a very difficult grow here in my climate.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Very nice!!!

Thank you for posting those images!

When I was a student of Southeast Asian Studies the region of Papua/New Guinea was always like

the end of the universe for us. Still so many things left to be discovered and to be studied about in

every respect.

I am not sure if I will ever put a foot step in there so I definitely enjoy reading articles or postings

about its flora!

Tim, thanks again!

best regards

Lars

• Like 1

These hydrostele have done great for me and had to plant a few around the yard

1B3E0099-A267-4FE1-8785-CF009CAEDA5C.jpeg

• Like 2

Tracy, I’m usually so locked in on the general health of some of these palms that I just have to slow down and admire their habit and concentrate on how unique some of them are. Honestly, I had to look up how many species from New Guinea I actually had. 

The direction  the climate is going, you may have a shot of growing some of these New Guinea palms in the near future. 

Lars, mahalo! I would think many of these PNG palms would thrive in your climate. 

Tim

Mahalo to you too John!

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

6 hours ago, realarch said:

Lars, mahalo! I would think many of these PNG palms would thrive in your climate. 

Tim,

thank you!

The "PNG-seed" is already planted...

004.thumb.jpg.67932b567ed77525eef7d38950fdffc3.jpg

Calyptrocalyx leptostachys...

005.thumb.jpg.e37f142040a082d5eb47c55fd9f7dc8b.jpg

...and Calyptrocalyx caudiculatus:D 

Sprouted a few weeks ago, taking their time but doing well so far.

best regards -

Lars

• Upvote 1

Tim thanks for sharing some garden pics. Your garden is so beautiful I love all the different kind of palms you have. I feel that I was lucky enough to get to see it in person. Feel free to share more pictures of your palms anytime.

• Upvote 1

Tim, those Ptychococcus are really impressive. I'm surprised that I haven't noticed this genus. Perhaps they aren't often planted. If you need to get rid of some of those seeds, I can help.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Hey Kevin, thanks! Stop on by when you’re on island.

Mike, have at it……..bring a BIG bag. Give me a heads up if you want to come by.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I am really bad with what region things come from so I am cheating because I seen the previous post

5FF7B543-8912-4616-99DA-BA88C93C800D.jpeg

image.jpg