IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal palmetto PNW growth

ShadyDan

Just wanted to share some springtime growth on my S. palmetto planted on Vancouver Island. Two days ago, I marked across the active spear to and older leaf with a sharpie to track its growth. Much to my surprise, it moved quite a bit in just two days. While the weather has been nice here (daytime highs 18-22C, lows 10-12C), its by no means been Florida hot. I’m looking forward to see what kind of growth I’ll get once the real summer weather arrives here! Luckily, I’m still young so I might actually see a trunk on this before I die! 

I know it’s probably not exciting for some of you folks in the SE, but for me and my comparably heat-starved climate I’m going to chalk this up as a win. 

E60A7BBF-C0EE-4F13-8614-F4C86177F462.jpeg

• Like 6

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

4 hours ago, ShadyDan said:

Just wanted to share some springtime growth on my S. palmetto planted on Vancouver Island. Two days ago, I marked across the active spear to and older leaf with a sharpie to track its growth. Much to my surprise, it moved quite a bit in just two days. While the weather has been nice here (daytime highs 18-22C, lows 10-12C), its by no means been Florida hot. I’m looking forward to see what kind of growth I’ll get once the real summer weather arrives here! Luckily, I’m still young so I might actually see a trunk on this before I die! 

I know it’s probably not exciting for some of you folks in the SE, but for me and my comparably heat-starved climate I’m going to chalk this up as a win. 

E60A7BBF-C0EE-4F13-8614-F4C86177F462.jpeg

Looking good! Just curious what temps you see high in summer, low in winter? I’m just a plant nerd, would be cool to see the growth rate over the years

27 minutes ago, teddytn said:

Looking good! Just curious what temps you see high in summer, low in winter? I’m just a plant nerd, would be cool to see the growth rate over the years

Pretty mild all around, but my average July high/lows are 24C/13C.  January high/lows are 7C/2C. We usually get few night below 0 in the winter and very few days that fail to rise above 0. Our average yearly low usually bottoms out at around -5C. Summers are generally dry and sunny with winters being wet and cloudy. On top of a plant nerd, I'm a big weather nerd too haha.

• Like 2

Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

@ShadyDanI’m giving it a go with palmettos as well. The temps at my house are farther into the extremes both ways than yours. Max high around 35c for the year and max low around -15c. We’ll see how they handle that cold this coming winter.

Edited by teddytn
Addressed to
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShadyDan said:

Pretty mild all around, but my average July high/lows are 24C/13C.  January high/lows are 7C/2C. We usually get few night below 0 in the winter and very few days that fail to rise above 0. Our average yearly low usually bottoms out at around -5C. Summers are generally dry and sunny with winters being wet and cloudy. On top of a plant nerd, I'm a big weather nerd too haha.

That's very similar to where I live, but you have slightly warmer and dryer summers.  I'm also really interested in climate, even took it on as a study subject and internship in uni.  I hope the Sabal does well for you.  The warmer summers alone I think give you a better chance than I would have (I'm not even going to try).  One positive here at least is we never see a day that fails to get above 0C - it did happen 2 or 3 times in 2010 but that was the all time historic record cold (much like Texas just had).  Average annual low here is similarly a solid USDA 9a - every winter since 2010 has been a zone 9a/b, except one 10.  So I might be able to keep a Sabal alive, but it would never thrive :(

• Like 1

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

@teddytn you probably have a better shot than me with your hot humid summers. Even if the palm gets damaged, it will have a better shot at recovery. If mine ever gets winter damage it will be a long recovery with my lack of heat. 

@Ryland yea I’ve been to your part of the UK, I was there for 3 weeks in June when I was 17. I distinctly remember the days being pleasant, but having to wear a jacket most days haha. I think you definitely have milder winters though. I would say my part of the Island in 8b max. No harm in giving a Sabal a shot though if you can find an especially warm area to plant it. And hey, climate change IS a thing and folks like us with temperate maritime climates have been experiencing warmer, sunnier summers. 

• Like 1

Looking good Dan, that is some respectable growth.

• Like 1