IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wodyetia Bifurcata trouble

Philly J

Necrotic looking, soft.  In a medium of coir/perlite/orchid bark.  Black started a few days ago and by tomorrow, I cut off about 20 leaves in that time to try and stave off in vain whatever was happening.  By tomorrow I will have lost the entire frond to black.  Went outside today for the first time this season as we are so far North I couldn’t do it before today.  When I pulled it out to check the roots there was some rot but not the level I was expecting and I have seen palms make it through way worse root rot.  The spear is still growing and the damage has been limited to this entire frond and to one set of bifurcated leaves on another frond (the ones closest to the trunk).  Please help, I feel like I’m gonna lose it in a matter of days here that’s how quickly the decline has happened.

E49BE17A-F2FF-4FAD-9D8D-81B62FF5A39D.jpeg

F9466053-8C91-4394-B6D3-D817EC9A6910.jpeg

7B0AD29F-779E-400F-8032-63766447C28B.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Lost the whole frond.  Now I wait to see if it moves to the other fronds.  I’m sick with worry.

That looks like sunburn more than anything.  That's what happens when you have It indoors all winter long and then you out It outside in full sun.  You need to acclimate it to full sun.

Edited by Reyes Vargas

@Philly J any good news? I think you should get a medal for growing tropical stuff in the land of polar bears. 

6 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

That looks like sunburn more than anything.  That's what happens when you have It indoors all winter long and then you out It outside in full sun.  You need to acclimate it to full sun.

All of the significant damage happened indoors and it was moved outside to full sun out of desperation after 70% of the frond had died.  There is minor sunburn damage on the other frond and it was of course typically crispy and fried.  This is soft black rotting necrotic tissue that spreads across entire leaves in 24 hours before moving to nearby completely green leaves to rot them.   Help me Reyes.

Edited by Philly J

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

@Philly J any good news? I think you should get a medal for growing tropical stuff in the land of polar bears. 

Not great John, I lost the entire frond.  The spear continues to push.  The damage hasn’t started on the other fronds yet but maybe it’s just dormant waiting to happen.  My morale is low.

Fungicide and h2o2? 

Good vibes my Canadian homey. 

12 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Fungicide and h2o2? 

Good vibes my Canadian homey. 

Today is the hydrogen bath, thanks for vibes my man.  Next is gonna be that copper fungicide.  

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

This is what foxtail sunburn looks like on a palm similar to yours !

430CE57B-BC95-40E1-9D3F-FFF7A8D08CEA.jpeg

Thanks Rick, it does look similar for sure!  It happened in low light indoors before I could get it outside for the winter though.  Started on two leaves, large black soft tissue.  Next day the two leaves were completely black and it had spread to other parts of the frond.  Within 5 days, indoors, the entire frond was lost.  That was a month ago now almost and so far the remaining two fronds and spear haven’t been affected, and the spear is pushing an inch a day now that I can have it outside in Saskatchewan