IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmgain fertilizer from DoMyOwn?

Dartolution

I received a 50lb bag from domyown today. It’s the first time I’ve purchased from them for palmgain. Typically I get the 10lb bags from HD.

Is it just me or was the formula changed? I don’t remember this many blue balls in the fertilizer!

FFF50418-68EF-45AC-80CA-CBEEE27DBBC2.thumb.jpeg.12d9bf0f1e0ae4a583fa7b2262d809c1.jpeg
499FC45C-BE66-4D8B-A981-68C9D837D752.thumb.jpeg.b5d5aa8502d4072145a82659866410b6.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks bluer than mine, but I wonder if the pellets may settle out according to density in the bag. I noticed certain grains, seem to accumulate at the bottom (the little black ones).  Maybe the bag just needs a good mixing.  

@Looking Glass I thought that too but I gave it a pretty good toss when fedex dropped it at my door just in case. 

The last 10lb bag I got from HD didn't have near as much blue pellets in it, and instead had a few small blue crystals. 

Batch inconsistency maybe? 

I hope you guys don't mind me asking hijacking the thread.  A lot of people on here recommend palmgain.  My question is, is palmgain organic?

My first time ordering palmgain was last year. The little balls were green. This year from Home Depot they were blue. I have a 50lb bag from domyown coming very soon too. I’m guessing they’ll be blue

• Like 1

Hey @Reyes Vargas good question. No its not an organic product. 

I typically use all organic soil amendments, and insecticides (neem, spinosad, insecticidal soap, and pyrethrin). 

Palmgain however I make an exception for. I haven't found a better fertilizer. 

I use it every other month during our growing season, and in combination with other organic gardening methods it doesnt seem to do any harm - you cant throw a rock in my backyard without hitting 10 earthworms. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dusty CBAD said:

My first time ordering palmgain was last year. The little balls were green. This year from Home Depot they were blue. I have a 50lb bag from domyown coming very soon too. I’m guessing they’ll be blue

At this point I am assuming that the blue/green is the polymer coating used and is inconsequential. Can anyone verify this?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dartolution said:

I received a 50lb bag from domyown today. It’s the first time I’ve purchased from them for palmgain. Typically I get the 10lb bags from HD.

Is it just me or was the formula changed? I don’t remember this many blue balls in the fertilizer!

FFF50418-68EF-45AC-80CA-CBEEE27DBBC2.thumb.jpeg.12d9bf0f1e0ae4a583fa7b2262d809c1.jpeg
499FC45C-BE66-4D8B-A981-68C9D837D752.thumb.jpeg.b5d5aa8502d4072145a82659866410b6.jpeg

Do you mind taking a picture of the formulation? I cannot read the list of nutrients. 

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

I definitely remember my last bag of palmgain being real sparse with the blue grains. I have a 50lb bag arriving next Tuesday and will report back.....

• Like 1

@Collectorpalms here is the image you requested. 

This is just a standard 8x11 copy paper printed and stuck into an insert in the bag. 

This stuff also doesnt even smell the same as the palmgain I've been using... If you know you know. 

PalmGain.thumb.jpg.735fc74506515ecb436c59496d96e9af.jpg

• Like 1

I've also sent BGI customer support an email inquiring about this and included the images and information here. 

I'll let everyone know what they say. 

• Like 2

the blue(or green) color is likely a dye, not a nutrient.  Since they formulate different NPK and micros the different colors will probably have different nutrient contents, the color provides a visual quality check to verify its well mixed in all micros.   If different prills settled out, you would have deficiencies in some applied fertilizer.  I think the color is for visual ID of the prill type.  If you look at that bag you can do a good quality check on how well mixed the nutrients are even though they are mostly whitish or yellowish as salts, the color coding of prills is by design.  Its pretty much standard practice today to formulate prills based on the water solubility of the micros so the more soluble micros like K dont wash away as they are put in a prill that doesnt dissolve readily.   Less soluble nutrients and possibly N,P,K may to get their own prills.     Most fertilizer companies will use a tougher less soluble binder in K prills so they dont break down so fast.  Florikan uses a smaller pore size in the osmotic membrane for K prills in florokote to ensure long lasting delivery.  Mg, Ca are probably delivered together in a prill and Fe will likely have a separate prill with Mn etc.  

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

They may not manufacture their own different fertilizer prills but source them from other manufacturers so they are at the mercy of those manufacturers in what color of coating they use 

• Like 2

Thank you both thats helpful. The stark difference between what I have been getting over the last 3 years and this one was a bit alarming. 

On 5/14/2021 at 12:45 PM, Dartolution said:

@Collectorpalms here is the image you requested. 

This is just a standard 8x11 copy paper printed and stuck into an insert in the bag. 

This stuff also doesnt even smell the same as the palmgain I've been using... If you know you know. 

PalmGain.thumb.jpg.735fc74506515ecb436c59496d96e9af.jpg

This is what I was looking for, for whatever reason palmgain doesn’t print their ingredients online. But I can’t read it in yours. ( forms of nitrate and micronutrients ) I may have found it after all. Nevertheless, I prefer water soluble fertilizer because it either never rains or it just pours down raining and runs off in my soil. However, I did go ahead and buy the Dry palm fertilizer sold at Lowe’s to mix into my potted plan mix in case I get lazy. It was about $1/pound.

160DEE1A-D5CB-4A5A-99B4-EFA4B1CFE8D4.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

For anyone interested:

I heard back from BGI.

The change in appearance is due to a change in blending company that source differently from their other blending company. 

The lack of 10lb bags is due to a shortage of supplies from the bag manufacturing company due to COVID. 

I was assured that the product I received was indeed palmgain. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

i think Palmgain is good if you dont want buy fert individually but its better doing so individually, like buying potassium, manganese, epson salts mg, and a triple 15 fert is better for me, i do half organic and half mineral/ chemical , i used sulfate amoniac  N, the stuff who blew up the port of beyrout, and some sulfur to lower my ph.

buying each bag individually will not be more espensive than buying one already done mixed on long term but first yes its a little more to buy.

i use triple 15 too, and i mix with organics, pellets manure or animal manure. i love giving each fert indiviudually, i feel i am doing the thing right, but at lower rates, well spraying the fert around the trunk or 10 inches away.  and once you use mineral chemical fert you need to realise down on the road that you can screw your soil, water retention, burn the soil etc and that you need to add organic manure to balance it. 

Edited by manuel2021

On 5/13/2021 at 4:40 PM, Dartolution said:

I don’t remember this many blue balls in the fertilizer!

For all newcomers; this is a perfect example of why you should always preview your post.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

palm gain doesn't make their own prills apparently.  It costs as much as florikan controlled release 8-2-12, and palmgain isn't controlled release, and they dont even have quality control over the manufacturing process, they depend on a supplier ti make their prills.  I cant think of a single objective reason to buy palm gain when florikan is not in short supply and costs the same.  Palms gain should cost about $15-20 less per 50 lb bag and its within $2.  Somebody is raising prices due to short supply.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tom Blank

14 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

palm gain doesn't make their own prills apparently.  It costs as much as florikan controlled release 8-2-12, and palmgain isn't controlled release, and they dont even have quality control over the manufacturing process, they depend on a supplier ti make their prills.  I cant think of a single objective reason to buy palm gain when florikan is not in short supply and costs the same.  Palms gain should cost about $15-20 less per 50 lb bag and its within $2.  Somebody is raising prices due to short supply.  

Where do you get your Florikan from?  I do love me some Palmgain, and I experiment with all kinds of fertilizers and components, but I’d love to give it a try, after reading one of the threads on here referring to the University of Florida recommendations and reading some of their stuff online.  

9 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

Where do you get your Florikan from?  I do love me some Palmgain, and I experiment with all kinds of fertilizers and components, but I’d love to give it a try, after reading one of the threads on here referring to the University of Florida recommendations and reading some of their stuff online.  

https://bigearthsupply.com/

For some palms like bismarckia -that are not nutrient sensitive-  you wont see much of a difference.  But for potassium deficiency, easily the most common deficiency in florida, big difference on kentiopsis O, phoenix rupicola, copernicia hospita, baileyana, and fallaense.  Royals are adapted to our soils, any palm fertilizer will do as they seem to not need much potassium.  It depends on the palm species and my opinion is based on my success in controlling K deficiency after it became evident that some palms did not like slow release.  I only know about florikan osmotic delivery because I was introduced to it by Ken Johnson who supplied by copernicias and kentiopsis palms.   I dont re-invent the wheel in research its already been done by the pros who have the AG backgrounds and do this for a living.  My own experinces over 10 years just validated what I was told by those pros.  The best advice will come from those expericed and successful in your climate.  There are some very experienced members of IPS that aren't frequently on here.  Experiments can be fun, but less fun when you find out its already known and you could have saved some time.  I think trying to formulate a better fertilizer than has been developed in 30-40 years experience with AG professionals has some long odds.  We have low Phos fertilizer here since florida soils are loaded with phosphate, and we also have K>N in our formulations since the K washes away much more quickly here in our wet growing season and sandy loam soils than elsewhere in the US.  Here is a good artice on fertilizer types.  

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdf/HS/HS124700.pdf

• Like 2

Tom Blank

47 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

https://bigearthsupply.com/

For some palms like bismarckia -that are not nutrient sensitive-  you wont see much of a difference.  But for potassium deficiency, easily the most common deficiency in florida, big difference on kentiopsis O, phoenix rupicola, copernicia hospita, baileyana, and fallaense.  Royals are adapted to our soils, any palm fertilizer will do as they seem to not need much potassium.  It depends on the palm species and my opinion is based on my success in controlling K deficiency after it became evident that some palms did not like slow release.  I only know about florikan osmotic delivery because I was introduced to it by Ken Johnson who supplied by copernicias and kentiopsis palms.   I dont re-invent the wheel in research its already been done by the pros who have the AG backgrounds and do this for a living.  My own experinces over 10 years just validated what I was told by those pros.  The best advice will come from those expericed and successful in your climate.  There are some very experienced members of IPS that aren't frequently on here.  Experiments can be fun, but less fun when you find out its already known and you could have saved some time.  I think trying to formulate a better fertilizer than has been developed in 30-40 years experience with AG professionals has some long odds.  We have low Phos fertilizer here since florida soils are loaded with phosphate, and we also have K>N in our formulations since the K washes away much more quickly here in our wet growing season and sandy loam soils than elsewhere in the US.  Here is a good artice on fertilizer types.  

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdf/HS/HS124700.pdf

Ahh yes, Big Earth was what I was looking at online for Florikan.   

I don’t mean I was trying to invent a better mousetrap, just that I’ve noticed certain palms need individual tweaking in the yard sometimes (especially Mg, K).  As does the lawn itself.  Experimenting with who does better with more of what.  It sounds like you do that too.  

I’ve got a double Chinese Fan out front.  One of the doubles has potassium deficiency, the other doesn’t.  It has benefited greatly in the past year from extra K in the area.   Yellow spotting now on only the final ring of leaves that predate my arrival here.  

I noticed digging holes last week how different the soil is 10 feet away in spots.  One Satakentia went into a hole with 2 feet of rich black dirt, after that it was coarse gravel and some sand.  The other 9 feet away went into a hole with 6 inches of black dirt and then fine powder beach sand beyond that.   I amended both holes, but I can’t help but think these will, grow differently as the roots spread out.  

I’ve seen other projects from the builder who renovated this place a few years back, and they have 6 foot piles of powdery mix sitting on the ground outside that probably has a pH of 10, and I’m sure the leftovers got buried and sodded over.  

Sometimes I dig up giant chunk areas of powdery while plaster looking stuff, long buried from a concrete or stucco project.  Some areas in the yard are rich and wet, others are dry and sandy as a desert.      70 years of construction projects and a total house and yard redo years ago has left a heterogenous mix of conditions just below the surface.  

I’ve got one Roebellini double that grew 3 feet in a year, deep green.  Another 30 feet away grew 3 inches and is always Mg deficient with thin leaves and a ring of yellow at the bottom, both treated the same way.   One needs a boatload of extra help, the other doesn’t.  

I want that long acting Florikan for certain palms at certain times, others I know will need some additional juicing.  The Leptocheilos will be getting extra K for sure.   And if B fenesteralis ever hits the ground, I’ll be feeding it differently than the Sabal.  

I use sulpomag when I get a K or Mg deficiency on a sensitive palm.  Construction debris can sometimes not be ammended, you have my sympathy there.  I also have clayish areas and sandy ones, more clay hnear the house and the street.  I dont find that significant to controlled release fertilizer application since the high drainage difference does not impact osmotic delivery as greatly as dissolving nutrients.  I do find some palms need more fertilizers/nutrient availability than others.  Bismarckia is remarkable in that way, I didnt fertilize mine for years, it did very well presumably with runoff. from other palms (~30' tall in ten years, nice and waxy leaves).  I also noticed beccariophoenix alfredii is not fertilizer sensitive, I have a few handfuls a year on a 25'+ palm and its cranking out leaves faster than ever.  Yes the drainage pathway in your yard is good to know when locating specific palms and also the soil drainage in those runoff paths can be important as lower trainage may not dry cycle in summer so palms like bismarckia and phoenix sylvestris should be in those sites.  One of the nice things about florikan is putting down a little extra in the growing season there is less risk of it washing away, and coming up short i amount wont lead to as much in K, Mg deficiencies as others Ive tried.  Its more persistent than the sulfur/poly membrane used by the suppliers of palmgain.  Also nowdays, about 15-20% of florikan is fast delivery so when I put it down I know its delivering right away as well as in the future.  Get me palmgain for $10-15 less for a 50lb bag and I might try it as a springtime fert(little or no rain).  In the rainy summer, Ill use florikan untill some AG test shows a competitor with the same delivery consistency in rainy weather. 

• Like 1

Tom Blank

Mine finally arrived today. Thursday = Tuesday to Fedex? I'd say the smell is pretty spot on with the old stuff. But yeah, color is different. 

More blue balls.  Doesn't seem like an improvement....

E

IMG_0533.jpg

If yours has the same smell as the old stuff thats news to me. 

Mine did not. Much less stinky. Looks the same as the picture you provided though. 

Either way - BGI is assuring that it is the same formula. 

On 5/16/2021 at 9:18 AM, Collectorpalms said:

This is what I was looking for, for whatever reason palmgain doesn’t print their ingredients online. But I can’t read it in yours. ( forms of nitrate and micronutrients ) I may have found it after all. Nevertheless, I prefer water soluble fertilizer because it either never rains or it just pours down raining and runs off in my soil. However, I did go ahead and buy the Dry palm fertilizer sold at Lowe’s to mix into my potted plan mix in case I get lazy. It was about $1/pound.

160DEE1A-D5CB-4A5A-99B4-EFA4B1CFE8D4.jpeg

Bump...? Still would like to compare before buying. Can someone take a clear picture of the nutrient type and levels on palmgain?

Edited by Collectorpalms

On 5/19/2021 at 4:18 AM, Gonzer said:

For all newcomers; this is a perfect example of why you should always preview your post.

I giggled. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 6:35 PM, Dartolution said:

Hey @Reyes Vargas good question. No its not an organic product. 

I typically use all organic soil amendments,

The problem with the organics is that you can't just apply them directly on the soil and walk away.  It's best to compost them first.  :floor:   This is from "Do-do my Own".

20210607-BH3I4212.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

• 5 months later...
On 5/19/2021 at 7:54 AM, sonoranfans said:

Some of us aren't lucky enough to live near big earth supply or any other supplier that stocks florikan 8-2-12.  Palmgain is wonderfully priced if you by online at domyown.com.  $64 for a 50# bag with free shipping blows big earth supply out of the water when they're charging $40+ for shipping.....just saying.  

On 5/20/2021 at 7:10 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Bump...? Still would like to compare before buying. Can someone take a clear picture of the nutrient type and levels on palmgain?

Maybe this works better?

321E4A90-E5C4-41CF-BD17-66DA863F6C2E.jpeg

• Like 1