IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix reclinata

BeyondTheGarden

Does anyone know where to get ahold of small P reclinatas?  While on vacation in florida I fell in love with these (along with just about every other "tropical" plant I laid eyes on).  And I couldn't help but notice that they seem to naturalize quite easily there, seedlings are easy to find under reclinata clumps/groves.  These are hard to find online yet it seems like they should be readily available considering how easily they self-propagate. 

Thank you. 

• 1 month later...

Did you ever find one?

I do have some roebellini x reclinata seedlings available if you'd like to try this out.

On 6/22/2021 at 9:23 AM, Scott W said:

Did you ever find one?

I do have some roebellini x reclinata seedlings available if you'd like to try this out.

I don't mean to hijack this post but I wouldn't mind trying a couple of the roebellini x reclinata seedlings if you still have some.

• 2 weeks later...

@Jesse PNW I checked on the Phoenix reclinata seeds around here earlier and they are still green.  If you're still looking, let me know and I'll try to grab you some in a month or two when they turn orange.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I germinated some Phoenix reclinata this past spring from seeds that I harvested from trees at the Santa Barbara Courthouse.  I just checked the baggie, and there are three new germinated seeds pushing up new strap leaves.  I already potted up what I wanted from this batch, so you can have these if you like.

image.thumb.png.d6be1f2ebfb5282bf1384acc003b834d.png

Source:

image.thumb.png.06e9c4a3b2f161b174d6792dfdc2bfcf.png

• Like 4

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

@GoatLockerGuns is a great guy.  He likes to spread palm happiness by giving away free palm seeds/sprouts.  He sent me a few seeds and they have all sprouted.

Apparently I have a worm/bug that likes to eat my seedlings.  20210708_154452.thumb.jpg.fa0e3b6e98300477aa4a2ff0ff65bb70.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I have a few germinated seed trays as well as some separated and planted in 1g pots. Let me know if interested. (239) 318-0460

thanks,

shelby 

On 6/22/2021 at 9:23 AM, Scott W said:

Did you ever find one?

Here are pictures of the seedlings after being delivered late by the postal service as usual.  Thanks.

20210713_130134.jpg

20210713_130139.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Here are pictures of the seedlings after being delivered late by the postal service as usual.  Thanks.

They look good for taking nearly three weeks to get from Jacksonville FL to Mercedes TX!

Glad you got them!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1