Jump to content
akamu

Bird nests in palms pics anyone?

Recommended Posts

akamu

We have some humming birds nesting in our dypsis lucabensis right now and it has been fun for my wife and I to watch them grow up. Looks like anyday they will be moving on. We also have some crows (not so cool) nesting 40ft up in our caryota urens. Anybody else have any pictures to share? 

20210428_163942.jpg

20210512_151957.jpg

20210428_163922.jpg

20210512_151945.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reyes Vargas

I had a hooded oriel build a nest on my sabal mexicana.

20200501_071440.thumb.jpg.dfa1edcc11222260bec3a6be304a8419.jpg

20200501_071402.thumb.jpg.12306249ba2879ba77d0f92e74fd8cb8.jpg

20200502_064321.thumb.jpg.c267139b0ea595e5a50c7bf258c149e1.jpg

20200508_074059.thumb.jpg.e40b749183f4a7e25589e25ad7621301.jpg

20200508_074120.thumb.jpg.a107eb33cad1939cf834f2308cea23f0.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Austinpalm
13 hours ago, akamu said:

We have some humming birds nesting in our dypsis lucabensis right now and it has been fun for my wife and I to watch them grow up. Looks like anyday they will be moving on. We also have some crows (not so cool) nesting 40ft up in our caryota urens. Anybody else have any pictures to share? 

20210428_163942.jpg

20210512_151957.jpg

20210428_163922.jpg

20210512_151945.jpg

If you don't like the crows..... just caaaall  caaaall pest control.    Sorry I just could not pass that one up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

Watched 3 sparrows grow up in our pigmy date.Nice nest!

 

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

image.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

Not wild,although they have naturalized here,I have 3 new lovebird babies.The parents build their nest by shredding palm fronds that I put into their enclosure.

 

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210513_080527.jpg

  • Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
akamu

These birds are pretty incredible Builders the wrens pull fibers off of some of the Palms to build their nests and alot of the bird species help with the insect control. 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
akamu
15 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

I had a hooded oriel build a nest on my sabal mexicana.

20200501_071440.thumb.jpg.dfa1edcc11222260bec3a6be304a8419.jpg

20200501_071402.thumb.jpg.12306249ba2879ba77d0f92e74fd8cb8.jpg

20200502_064321.thumb.jpg.c267139b0ea595e5a50c7bf258c149e1.jpg

20200508_074059.thumb.jpg.e40b749183f4a7e25589e25ad7621301.jpg

20200508_074120.thumb.jpg.a107eb33cad1939cf834f2308cea23f0.jpg

That's cool how they punched holes into the palm fronds and essentially built a suspended hammock

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reyes Vargas
1 hour ago, aztropic said:

Watched 3 sparrows grow up in our pigmy date.Nice nest!

 

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

image.jpg

That nest does look comfortable.  What did they use for nesting material?  That looks like cotton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reyes Vargas
33 minutes ago, akamu said:

That's cool how they punched holes into the palm fronds and essentially built a suspended hammock

Birds are extremely smart.  I wish I could get them on video and see how they do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

Great thread @akamu!

Here’s a Livistona australis leaf with what appears to be a weaver bird nest under it.

38BEF271-94E9-4D42-9084-F3245829B5C8.thumb.jpeg.c27f2475fe0496ad121d959ce3e25b92.jpeg

 

3C1F79F1-01B3-4FAC-98E9-E1B4CA388E31.thumb.jpeg.d632fbaf4e9c0d5a74582ff27b3b20f9.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

Look closely and you can see where the birds wove over the top of the pinnae.

 

1F10CAF8-B28E-4208-984B-7CF49D348FA8.thumb.jpeg.01dc8d966a7728a04b4305e7dfb7c6b7.jpeg

 

7EEEBC52-4B94-475F-A806-946F60F183ED.thumb.jpeg.97c195eafef9bf2a23dcd8cc2f8af30e.jpeg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracy

Our Carlsbad garden was a mecca for nesting humming birds.  We typically had 3-4 nests per year in the yard due to attractions like trees that had numerous blossoms for long periods (African tulip in late summer and through autumn as well as Bauhinia x blakeana which flowered from Autumn through until mid-spring), aloes and hibisucus.  We didn't have to put out feeders to attract them, they were content with the natural feeding grounds the yard provided.  Here is a sampling with only the photo of the parent feeding a pair of chicks which isn't a nest in a palm (African tulip tree instead).  Phoenix roebelenii and Caryota were there favored palms, but they also used the Foxy Lady I had in a pot while waiting to move to its new home here in Leucadia.

20100611-IMG_6302.jpg

20110328-IMG_0756.jpg

20120303-IMG_2309.jpg

20140612-IMG_7120.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracy
12 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Birds are extremely smart.  I wish I could get them on video and see how they do it.

Hooded orioles sometimes use my banana plants, hanging their nests on the underside of a leaf, but they like fan palms as well.  There are always some nesting in my neighbor's tall Washingtonias.  Yesterday morning one was harvesting threads from a Pritchardia off my deck to take back to its nest.  I've watched them create the nests on the Banana plants, pulling threads which they weave and only using minimal supplementary material from other plants.  Pretty interesting to watch.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

I think some of the birds consider my place "Hotel Dave" or something like it. I've had weaverbird nests on Pritchardtias, Archontophoenix, Roystonea and Livistona.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracy
9 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

I've had weaverbird nests on Pritchardtias, Archontophoenix, Roystonea and Livistona

Interesting Dave.  The fan palms make sense but the Archontophoenix and Roystonea are a bit of a surprise to me for the "weave birds", at least if we are talking about Hooded orioles which are the common ones to weave nests here in Southern California.  I assume that with the pinnate palms they are weaving together multiple leaflets to hang their nests?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracy

One of the Phoenix roebelenii was right off our kitchen window, so when the Humming bird's nested in it, it was about 18" away from the window.  Our indoor cats would climb up behind the sink to get close and watch "kitty television" as we called it.  First the view they saw looking through the window and second one of the cats engrossed watching the evening feeding show.

20111218-IMG_0093.jpg

20111217-IMG_0041.jpg

20111217-IMG_0048.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bubba

E6328EB8-08A2-4C73-881A-CF1462EC771D.thumb.jpeg.02a94abadbd6990fd6118998a4cc6c2d.jpegThis is not a bird’s nest but bird related. Unexpectedly, I caught this bird on film amongst a grove of Borassus:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim in Los Altos

I wish I had photos of some of the other birds that have nested here in the garden but here are a few including some non-nesting “visitors.”

D9946D26-E25E-4440-8152-7D5CA7D0B4F9.thumb.jpeg.350a8d85b7ce03566c6c8983d267362a.jpeg

0801DF74-EDE5-42E9-B9FB-DE251405CDA5.thumb.jpeg.afd4f93ca263f65e2140dce4ad2509d1.jpeg

DAA72509-084F-4E38-9806-D335D540909F.thumb.jpeg.0a329df782aadbcb09f36f260e0d1432.jpeg

8164C4BE-C363-41C0-A632-FF4B77C450F2.thumb.jpeg.d58be8e0db9f2005c288f4c127949cf3.jpeg

D32CF7BF-37D8-4598-AC62-C432BAAECC4B.thumb.jpeg.cb41649510c20a83c92496839199a076.jpeg

B89D5395-F387-489C-A38A-D5F796ED0E27.thumb.jpeg.d41ea8d6e451d2ed3b155edbc4e85555.jpeg

2F6659C2-4B31-40D4-A246-5EB76A844538.thumb.jpeg.883568d4c2c8bee73bef4b6da877104c.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave
6 hours ago, Tracy said:

One of the Phoenix roebelenii was right off our kitchen window, so when the Humming bird's nested in it, it was about 18" away from the window.  Our indoor cats would climb up behind the sink to get close and watch "kitty television" as we called it.  First the view they saw looking through the window and second one of the cats engrossed watching the evening feeding show.

20111218-IMG_0093.jpg

20111217-IMG_0041.jpg

20111217-IMG_0048.jpg

OMG!

So that’s where Conan ran off to! 

Jokes aside you have nice taste in kitty cats!

image.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Butch

I posted these earlier... In my dead Foxy Lady:(...

aR6lJXi.jpg

r248EJy.jpg

aMzi9G0.jpg

DZbybZQ.jpg

73rZL8s.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracy

While not in my Dypsis lutescens, it is about as close to nesting in it as can get.  This was taken yesterday evening, but I posted photos of the previous chicks before they flew the nest.  It appears that the mating pair liked the nest location so much that they returned to nest here for a second batch.  I haven't seen the chicks, but the parent roosting on the eggs or young chicks is accustom to me getting right up close.  Its some very common variety of Dove which I had narrowed down to two species last time I looked them up.

20210513-BH3I3969.jpg

20210513-BH3I3967.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
15 minutes ago, Tracy said:

While not in my Dypsis lutescens, it is about as close to nesting in it as can get.  This was taken yesterday evening, but I posted photos of the previous chicks before they flew the nest.  It appears that the mating pair liked the nest location so much that they returned to nest here for a second batch.  I haven't seen the chicks, but the parent roosting on the eggs or young chicks is accustom to me getting right up close.  Its some very common variety of Dove which I had narrowed down to two species last time I looked them up.

20210513-BH3I3969.jpg

20210513-BH3I3967.jpg

Mourning Dove,  Zenaida macroura.. Too small for Eurasian Collared or White Wing,  Too big for Incas ..or either of the ground Doves. Too plain Jane for a couple of the more exotic looking semi- established escapees seen around S. Cal/ San Diego County.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ruskinPalms

Dove in one of my Bismarckia fronds

 

257B2430-A7DD-4D62-983B-316A6D7F0154.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

A nest in the Phoenix roebelenii, but the parents weren't home.

20210514_111357.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
96720

I don’t know what bird builds this nest but they are always building them in my Bismarckia’s

C537BBDA-0609-4EED-90E6-47D8C9F92DEB.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...