IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My little slice of heaven, and some palms too.

Chad king NC

Spectacular! Can we get a few names on some of these plants (and palms)!

What's the plant on the 4th pic in the bottom left? Looks so familiar but the name escapes me!

• Like 1

Now thats what I'm talking about! Stunning work! LOVE the succulent rock garden with the cerifera! 

Very good job! Also, I'm with @Swolte, what is that plant to the left of the CIDP? It looks remarkably similar to a thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum but clearly isn't! 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Swolte said:

Spectacular! Can we get a few names on some of these plants (and palms)!

What's the plant on the 4th pic in the bottom left? Looks so familiar but the name escapes me!

The plant that is to the left of the CIPD is Ligularia japonica.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

Now thats what I'm talking about! Stunning work! LOVE the succulent rock garden with the cerifera! 

Very good job! Also, I'm with @Swolte, what is that plant to the left of the CIDP? It looks remarkably similar to a thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum but clearly isn't! 

Thanks so much!  I keep my fingers crossed every winter for the cerifera.  

The plant next to the CIPD is Ligularia japonica ' Chinese Dragon '.

• Like 1

@Chad king NC I see agave parryi in the front, what’s the bigger steel blue agave next to the trachy, neomexicana? I’ve had trouble with agaves here in TN from all the precip x cold. Yours all look amazing! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

Wow! Yard looks amazing :greenthumb: Can't believe you're in 7a!

Thanks!  It is definitely tough some winters.  Running out in frigid temps to wrap a palm last minute. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, teddytn said:

@Chad king NC I see agave parryi in the front, what’s the bigger steel blue agave next to the trachy, neomexicana? I’ve had trouble with agaves here in TN from all the precip x cold. Yours all look amazing! 

I have neomexicana, but they are small.  The agave you see and stands out so much is agave ovatifolia.  They are hands down the best agave for zone 7.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chad king NC said:

I have neomexicana, but they are small.  The agave you see and stands out so much is agave ovatifolia.  They are hands down the best agave for zone 7.  

Thanks for that, I wasn’t familiar with it before now. One of the freaks of nature, super cold hardy and gets huge!

• Like 1

@teddytn yes. The one next to the trachy is called frosty blue and hasn't gotten as big.  The one on the right next to the yucca rostata is a ovatifolia ' vanzie ' .  It is pushing 6' across now.

• Upvote 1

Yes...I’ve seen your beautiful garden in the past on this forum...in fact, I ordered an agave parryi after the first tour! It arrives in a few days...have the sunny dryscrape ready to go...you have quite the 7a talent...amazing.

• Like 1

Wow, that is a really spectacular garden.  Very thoughtfully laid out to create a range of pleasant views, a nice mix of heights, colours, ground cover.  All palms looking very good, plus they're well paired with other plants.  The Butia looks particularly fine.  Is that a Trachycarpus princeps in the second photo?

• Like 1

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

@Ryland thank you!  I wouldn't consider it thoughtfully laid out.  Maybe pure luck from constantly moving plants around.

Yes, the second picture is of my princeps.

1 minute ago, Chad king NC said:

@GregVirginia7 thank you!  Agave parryi are great choices, specially if you don't have space for the larger agave.

Yes. The space is small and I want to get some experience with one (they ain’t cheap) and maybe I’ll get more...unfortunately, I’m beginning to think I’ve exhausted my cold hardy palm possibilities and agaves seem to compliment palms really well...by the way...how do you keep those pinnates alive year after year?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Yes. The space is small and I want to get some experience with one (they ain’t cheap) and maybe I’ll get more...unfortunately, I’m beginning to think I’ve exhausted my cold hardy palm possibilities and agaves seem to compliment palms really well...by the way...how do you keep those pinnates alive year after year?

On my pinnate palms I wrap the trunk with a heat cable ( they come preset to turn on and off )  then tie up the fronds and wrap with a frost cloth.   If we are going to have a bad winter storm I can put a tarp over the frost cloth without hurting the palms.

With the agaves try create a raised mound so that the agave are on an angle.  

Very Nicely done for 7a, very professional looking, Your Designs came out great! 

BTW.... In photo #7, is that a yucca desmetianan blue ?  Right under the gutter downspout. 

20210509_110149.thumb.jpg.db332c6063d49a0210d5a49df3c29e9a-1.jpg

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Very Nicely done for 7a, very professional looking, Your Designs came out great! 

BTW.... In photo #7, is that a yucca desmetianan blue ?  Right under the gutter downspout. 

20210509_110149.thumb.jpg.db332c6063d49a0210d5a49df3c29e9a-1.jpg

Thank you!  The yucca was purchased as purpurea so I believe it is the same as desmettiana blue boy.  It gets really legging after a couple yrs and I trunk cut it. I moved it to this spot after cutting a couple feet off of it last Sept.

20200411_192930.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 6:06 PM, Chad king NC said:

On my pinnate palms I wrap the trunk with a heat cable ( they come preset to turn on and off )  then tie up the fronds and wrap with a frost cloth.   If we are going to have a bad winter storm I can put a tarp over the frost cloth without hurting the palms.

With the agaves try create a raised mound so that the agave are on an angle.  

Yes...have a hole started at the top of my embankment with a sloping angle down hill starting at the plant...have a drain running out the right side...will fill with 2/3 grit/gravel 1/3 soil and top with a nice small gravel...looking forward to mixing some in with my sunny south facing embankment, where most my palms live.

image.thumb.jpg.d059505f6279dc46b399a95ef5c428f0.jpg

• Like 2

Your palm garden gives me inspiration for my garden here in Raleigh. I just hope I can keep my pindo palm alive like you do. 

On 5/14/2021 at 7:49 PM, GregVirginia7 said:

Yes...have a hole started at the top of my embankment with a sloping angle down hill starting at the plant...have a drain running out the right side...will fill with 2/3 grit/gravel 1/3 soil and top with a nice small gravel...looking forward to mixing some in with my sunny south facing embankment, where most my palms live.

image.thumb.jpg.d059505f6279dc46b399a95ef5c428f0.jpg

@Chad king NC Here’s the finished product for the parryi...ovatifolia is next...have to find a place...

image.thumb.jpg.961c361a7c8b3f5e651ecfc4daa244f4.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.e9f4843bd08c052f0e7850fc6ae45451.jpg

• Like 5