IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Guess the seed

John hovancsek

I am so excited to get a hand full of seed from a friend of a palm that I have been dreaming of for a while. I will take you for the journey once you guess what it is. The only clue I will give is that they have not been available for a while 

image.jpg

I will give a clue ( palm in pic is not it but might be a relative ). I hope this helps

image.jpg

Socratea?

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Yes my friend. Dicteocaryum . I can’t believe I have a chance to grow this from seed collected here in Hawaii.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Yes my friend. Dicteocaryum . I can’t believe I have a chance to grow this from seed collected here in Hawaii.

I want some. Haha. So jealous.

I got them from a friend that lives close to me. I can’t believe how good they grow at a higher elevation and hope I can give them a good home

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Dicteocaryum lamarckianum,  right? If so that is very exciting. 

Is this the correct spelling? I cannot find ANY information on this palm anywhere on the net. 

30 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

Is this the correct spelling? I cannot find ANY information on this palm anywhere on the net. 

Dictyocaryum lamarckianum

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/12/2021 at 7:18 PM, John hovancsek said:

I will give a clue ( palm in pic is not it but might be a relative ). I hope this helps

Dictyocaryum is in the top 5 palms to grow for me if it were possible So what is the Palm in the picture?

John, I’ve never seen Dictyocaryum seed before and didn’t realize how small they were, ay to Socratea.

Adam, I’d say the palmin the first post is Iriartea deltoidea.

Tim 

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here are the mother trees from a distance. Pic taken this morning on my way to get breakfast 

08C9C3D7-A0FE-47CB-8F3B-502FEDAC57AE.jpeg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 5/12/2021 at 9:56 AM, John hovancsek said:

I am so excited to get a hand full of seed from a friend of a palm that I have been dreaming of for a while. I will take you for the journey once you guess what it is. The only clue I will give is that they have not been available for a while 

image.jpg

Socrates wants to know what's happening with his cousins, John. No action yet?

16367337402195864546996506450479.jpg

They are doing great . It might be where I live and my internet I am having trouble downloading pics but here a a couple of them. Florabunda has a few but limited amount 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Max974 said:

Hello,   Lemurophoenix laevis .

Yes they have these to but I was talking about dictyocaryum 

Edited by John hovancsek

Just harvested these Wettinia hirsuta seed today….boy they do look similar in markings and size. 

Tim 

7AF6B69E-4C19-4AAB-8EE1-23724B0832B9.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii