IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trying to help the IPS and people here

Steve Mac

Well,  that was just Click-bait.

Formerly Gtsteve, but I have changed my Username (as an IPS member you can do that,) because I want to help new members and the parent site the IPS. Let me explain.

Firstly, I would like to advise new members of a few things, and not only new members, What are all you people afraid of by not signing off with a first name? Even if you like your clever/cryptic username or you think that the CIA, FBI KGB or Mossad is after you just make up a first name when you sign off.  Why, because it is friendly and polite and I think that you are more likely to get a response.  You could put it in your Signature.  I think that the more active this forum is, it will help the IPS. People respond best to people not anonymous Usernames.

And Two, why are some people so resistant to saying "thank you" by not hitting the Heart button. If someone takes the time or they share their knowledge or experience to help you, really in person (that is why I like names) would you not say 'Thank you'. That is what the heart button means to me. I think that everyone likes to be thanked for an effort. 

That will do for now, Just trying to help.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Thanks for the info and suggestion! I agree its nice to know people's names and I didn't know I could change my display name!

• Like 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

7 hours ago, Steve Mac said:

Well,  that was just Click-bait.

Formerly Gtsteve, but I have changed my Username (as an IPS member you can do that,) because I want to help new members and the parent site the IPS. Let me explain.

Firstly, I would like to advise new members of a few things, and not only new members, What are all you people afraid of by not signing off with a first name? Even if you like your clever/cryptic username or you think that the CIA, FBI KGB or Mossad is after you just make up a first name when you sign off.  Why, because it is friendly and polite and I think that you are more likely to get a response.  You could put it in your Signature.  I think that the more active this forum is, it will help the IPS. People respond best to people not anonymous Usernames.

And Two, why are some people so resistant to saying "thank you" by not hitting the Heart button. If someone takes the time or they share their knowledge or experience to help you, really in person (that is why I like names) would you not say 'Thank you'. That is what the heart button means to me. I think that everyone likes to be thanked for an effort. 

That will do for now, Just trying to help.

Another biggie, Steve: Tell us where on the planet you are, i.e., Hamburg, Ontario, Utah, Portugal. We don't want your street address and we won't drop in for dinner. If you are too frightened or paranoid to tell us what part of planet earth you write from, a sick palm is the least of your issues.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Ha-ha,  google me and you can almost learn what is my favorite vegetable !  :mrlooney:    ( broccoli )

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

10 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

"Tell us where on the planet you are,"

Yes Meg, that was coming next, with, and I thought that you would beat me 'We need a picture'.

New people, One pic is worth a hundred words, a few and close and not blurry, even more.  If it is not too big, It is as easy as drag and drop.

Let me summarize What a new person with a question can do to maximize their responses and chances of helping their plant.

One, present yourself as a person,

Two. Give your location, it really is important.

Three. Post a picture of the problem, that usually helps a lot too.

Four. Thank people who help you or try to help you.

Five. Do a few searches of the site for your problem, it usually has been discussed already. 

We don't mind your question and picture again because situations and climates do vary. And the more history of the plant that we get sometimes helps.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

O Captain my Captain

So many great ideas here. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I didn't know there was a heart button to say Thank You, where do you find it?.  But, thank you all for the suggestions, and help through the years.  Cecile

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Really Cecile, surely you can do this,  (Don't call me Shirley!)

Your comment is defined by a box of faint lines in a rectangle, look to the lower right corner of this box, and left click the heart icon.  The icon will change from grey to blue when the cursor is over it.  This is 'thank you' or 'great post' or 'like'.  :)  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

On 5/12/2021 at 3:57 AM, Steve Mac said:

I want to help new members and the parent site the IPS

See if you can get the IPS directors, the Great Gazoo, or the mythical palm gods to create a place in the forum for "new members" to introduce themselves. Most forums have one but not this one that I'm aware of.  I looked for one when I first signed up a few years ago but didn't find anything so I just lurked for a while. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I always wanted to change my name :D

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106