IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhopalostylis ID

PalmCode

Those Banks Peninsula Nikau are awesome. Thanks for sharing. Make sure to grab yourself some seed if you're ever back there.

1 hour ago, sipalms said:

I should add too, that my opinion on banks peninsula form has changed a little as I observe more habitat Rhopalostylis around the country. Seems so be somewhat unique. It certainly is very isolated and likely would have been for many centuries or even millenia, so somewhat homogeneous as a result.

It's interesting, that the most Isolated tiny areas these palms evolved from always look and grow the best. Maybe from less competition with other canopy dominant growing tress.

5 hours ago, Gary said:

hopefully lots of seed off this palm this time round as last year rats wiped it out just as it was going red

SANY0195 (1).JPG

I'd be setting up rat traps gettng as many of the bastards as possible. Hope it sets seed this time around.

1 hour ago, PalmCode said:

I'd be setting up rat traps gettng as many of the bastards as possible. Hope it sets seed this time around.

set traps and use rat bait but i live in the bush so lots of them

22 hours ago, Gary said:

set traps and use rat bait but i live in the bush so lots of them

True, at least every rat you get is one less...  any way, cheers for the nikau info. youre the guru.

• 1 month later...

Thought this pic might be a nice juvenile comparison of R. sapida (mainland NZ, dont know if its n.island or s.island as bought from garden centre in Dunedin SI just labelled as NZ Nikau) on the left and how it can look next to an R. bauerii (Kermadec Island/cheesemanii variety) on the right.  Pardon the tatty leaves on the sapida (a cat chewed them a couple of years ago, then got a leafscale breakout - trying to grow em out) 

They look so different and my R. sapida (Chathams) look much more similar to the S. bauerii. 

20210710_121311.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Phil Petersen said:

Thought this pic might be a nice juvenile comparison of R. sapida (mainland NZ, dont know if its n.island or s.island as bought from garden centre in Dunedin SI just labelled as NZ Nikau) on the left and how it can look next to an R. bauerii (Kermadec Island/cheesemanii variety) on the right.  Pardon the tatty leaves on the sapida (a cat chewed them a couple of years ago, then got a leafscale breakout - trying to grow em out) 

They look so different and my R. sapida (Chathams) look much more similar to the S. bauerii. 

20210710_121311.jpg

Nice comparison and palms you have there. Theyre looking real good. 

From what Iv'e found, the juvenile chathams have the wider/curly leaves like baueri. (Wish i had taken some photos of my chatham at that stage.)

These 3 baueri are all exactly the same age and taken from the same seed branch and grown outside. As you can see, ive looked after the larger 2 more.... bigger pots, more sun, water. fertilizer .My chatham was larger than all these baueri at the same age and growing conditions. 

100_8334a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, PalmCode said:

Nice comparison and palms you have there. Theyre looking real good. 

From what Iv'e found, the juvenile chathams have the wider/curly leaves like baueri. (Wish i had taken some photos of my chatham at that stage.)

These 3 baueri are all exactly the same age and taken from the same seed branch and grown outside. As you can see, ive looked after the larger 2 more.... bigger pots, more sun, water. fertilizer .My chatham was larger than all these baueri at the same age and growing conditions. 

100_8334a.jpg

Wow your baueri are stunning! I love their lime green and reddish petiole. How old are these? 

That one in my photo is 2-3 years old now i think. Got it a year ago with  maybe 3 -4 leaves and thats its first pinnate. Think Ill be potting up sooner rather than later looking at how well yours have done. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phil Petersen said:

Wow your baueri are stunning! I love their lime green and reddish petiole. How old are these? 

That one in my photo is 2-3 years old now i think. Got it a year ago with  maybe 3 -4 leaves and thats its first pinnate. Think Ill be potting up sooner rather than later looking at how well yours have done. 

These are almost 4 years old now. I have over 30 of them in growing in different areas on the section. It can get tiresome maintaining so many  but the few I do show the results.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here is another group of Nikau seedlings I'm growing. They have lovely long leaves and are strong growers. I'm guessing they are East cape or maybe one of the Barrier islands type. Parent tree.

100_8401[1].jpg

n2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

I believe these are all R. sapida but welcome correction if needed.  All are in Dunedin, New Zealand. The one in the bush is at Glen Falloch gardens on the Otago Peninsula. The two in the sun are recent (1 year?) donated transplants from someones back yard in Dunedin. Now residing at the Dunedin Botanical Gardens propogation centre up on Lovelock Road, Opoho, North Dunedin.  Hope they end up doing ok in their new location as Ive heard (rightly or wrongly) that transplants that big out of the ground are at high risk of mortality.

A staff member at Mitre 10 said her grandmother donated them before she sold her house. May well be older than her. 

20210919_140703.jpg

Screenshot_20210918-144305_Messenger.jpg

20210918_122857.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Phil Petersen said:

I believe these are all R. sapida but welcome correction if needed.  All are in Dunedin, New Zealand. The one in the bush is at Glen Falloch gardens on the Otago Peninsula.

20210919_140703.jpg

Great post Phil - and fantastic find of this mature, healthy and fruiting Nikau.

A couple of questions for you - 

I assume this one was planted, it isn't naturally occurring? Or are there others around of similar grade?

Also I note quite a lot of seed, did you see any seedlings or young palms near this one? If so it'll be pretty special to have Nikau growing naturally in Dunedin. That is a pretty big deal (even more so if this is naturally occuring!!!).

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, sipalms said:

Great post Phil - and fantastic find of this mature, healthy and fruiting Nikau.

A couple of questions for you - 

I assume this one was planted, it isn't naturally occurring? Or are there others around of similar grade?

Also I note quite a lot of seed, did you see any seedlings or young palms near this one? If so it'll be pretty special to have Nikau growing naturally in Dunedin. That is a pretty big deal (even more so if this is naturally occuring!!!).

This is planted and has a name plaque etc

Ill have a look next time im there for any seedlings. Think it is a stand-alone palm on the property so hopefully it'll have some company one day. Looks like it would be ok ground conditions for germination.  

12 hours ago, Phil Petersen said:

This is planted and has a name plaque etc

Ill have a look next time im there for any seedlings. Think it is a stand-alone palm on the property so hopefully it'll have some company one day. Looks like it would be ok ground conditions for germination.  

Thanks Phil, interesting. Do you know what year it was planted on the plaque?

Also I was in Dunedin recently and spotted this Syagrus at St Clair beach, will be interesting to see how it copes. I assume there'd be pretty strong coastal winds there? Syagrus around New Brighton in Christchurch tend to look a bit wind-beaten due to this, but maybe things are different in Dunedin as you have hills right there.

Dunners-PS_2.thumb.jpg.ecaaa76b5205b70ba7e92e201bb686f4.jpg

10 hours ago, sipalms said:

Thanks Phil, interesting. Do you know what year it was planted on the plaque?

Also I was in Dunedin recently and spotted this Syagrus at St Clair beach, will be interesting to see how it copes. I assume there'd be pretty strong coastal winds there? Syagrus around New Brighton in Christchurch tend to look a bit wind-beaten due to this, but maybe things are different in Dunedin as you have hills right there.

Dunners-PS_2.thumb.jpg.ecaaa76b5205b70ba7e92e201bb686f4.jpg

Dont recall the plaque saying the year, just ID details. Ill have to check that as well, or ask the staff at the restaurant. 

Yes St Clair can get windy. I did live there for 4 years and the NW can get strong. It is reasonably sheltered from the SW though with that steep, 200m high hill behind it. I'd guess it will get reasonably tatty if it puts its head up above the fence. There are quite a few big pukanui trees at St Clair doing quite well so it is reasonably mild. I know of several other big trunking nikau around Dunedin, in Caversham, Sunshine, and Vauxhall. Also one up on London St. I'll try and get photos in the future. 

16 minutes ago, Phil Petersen said:

I'll try and get photos in the future. 

Would love to see them.

Perhaps start a Dunedin New Zealand thread on here, as most certainly would be one of the southernmost palmy spots in the world.

I snapped this Nikau out in Green Island, recently. A place which I thought would get relatively cold compared to central/coastal areas of Dunedin. Looks like it's actually a good size and not at all affected by the outgoing winter!

20210909_133344.thumb.jpg.9efee9fc039fe72fb8a277a9fd3c3610.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/21/2021 at 8:43 PM, sipalms said:

Would love to see them.

This is at Sunshine. at the top of a 15m cliff above Otago Harbour (Andersons Bay inlet). Is a protected tree in the new district plan

https://earth.google.com/web/@-45.8946424,170.51925769,49.03115463a,0d,26.0630076y,41.78889917h,95.12367126t,0r/data=IhoKFjhqaFdiRmJ3UEZWNW5taVB2MmpnQVEQAg

On 9/21/2021 at 8:43 PM, sipalms said:

36 minutes ago, Phil Petersen said:

This is at Sunshine. at the top of a 15m cliff above Otago Harbour (Andersons Bay inlet). Is a protected tree in the new district plan

https://earth.google.com/web/@-45.8946424,170.51925769,49.03115463a,0d,26.0630076y,41.78889917h,95.12367126t,0r/data=IhoKFjhqaFdiRmJ3UEZWNW5taVB2MmpnQVEQAg

Wow, great find, that's a beauty.

Here's another one on London St (long drive between 82/84 - can't view on google maps unfortunately...

image.png.1bebd453d3aafadafc99aa10301774f6.png

Also @Phil Petersen have you noticed this article here? In it, the writer mentions a Queen Palm growing in Dunedin. This would be quite an amazing feat if well established - I tried contacting the OTD multiple times with lots of messages taken but no answer back about the author or how to get hold of him, do you have any ideas how to find?

https://www.odt.co.nz/lifestyle/magazine/fig-tree-thriving-south-dunedin

image.png.ac1a8331aacdf08a6b201f118babfc0c.png

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2021 at 9:54 AM, sipalms said:

Wow, great find, that's a beauty.

Here's another one on London St (long drive between 82/84 - can't view on google maps unfortunately...

image.png.1bebd453d3aafadafc99aa10301774f6.png

Also @Phil Petersen have you noticed this article here? In it, the writer mentions a Queen Palm growing in Dunedin. This would be quite an amazing feat if well established - I tried contacting the OTD multiple times with lots of messages taken but no answer back about the author or how to get hold of him, do you have any ideas how to find?

https://www.odt.co.nz/lifestyle/magazine/fig-tree-thriving-south-dunedin

image.png.ac1a8331aacdf08a6b201f118babfc0c.png

Hi there,

Apologies for the tardy reply! Life has been too busy with a 9month old baby. I havent heard of, or seen any queen palms in Dunedin (apart from that one in St Clair you posted a photo of [that is a queen right?), but I will keep my eyes open.

I knew of another mature Nikau on Doon Street in Vauxhall, Dunedin but it was down a long drive and mostly obscured by trees/vines. I was out pushing the pram today and noticed that they have now cleared the vegetation around it. I hope it doesnt mind all day sun on its trunk and a bit more wind! 

20220224_165749.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ouch!  It looks like they fixed a couple of supports to it so maybe it got moved too?  I was in Dunners at the w/e but only spotted a couple of Nikau at the top of the Botanic Gardens but they seemed happy in a fairly exposed position.

4 hours ago, richnorm said:

Ouch!  It looks like they fixed a couple of supports to it so maybe it got moved too?  I was in Dunners at the w/e but only spotted a couple of Nikau at the top of the Botanic Gardens but they seemed happy in a fairly exposed position.

Hope you enjoyed the botanical gardens. This palm at Vauxhall was definitely growing in situ prior to the surrounding tree and vine removal. I hope it didn't get too beat up! I cant tell what type of rhopie it is but would go to the default mainland R sapida given its age, and probably from SI stock.

The trunking botanical garden sapida are transplants from a private garden as I met the grand daughter of the person who donated them and she confirmed this.  Vauxhall is a lot windier than the botanical gardens part of Dunedin but would get virtually no frosts.