Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PalmatierMeg

More Palms in Fort Myers Palm Park

Recommended Posts

PalmatierMeg

Yesterday we traveled back to the Fort Myers Palm Park in downtown on Martin Luther King Ave to check on the status of two seeding Copernicias. I also took a few minutes to take photos of other palms.

Sabal palmetto Lisa x2: These are the wild Sabal Lisas rescued from certain destruction during renovations of I-75 about 10 years ago. The City of Ft. Myers donated space in this palm park where they will live in perpetuity. Notice that the palm on the right holds on to its boots; the one on the left does not. The palm on the left is my avatar.

1870667662_SabalpalmettoLisax2FM0105-07-21.thumb.JPG.b9875c09c57f172ee48bd621df7ef852.JPG930272651_SabalpalmettoLisax2FM0205-07-21.thumb.JPG.a29ccfffe84e7590ba57c54e69d4ffcf.JPG52300433_SabalpalmettoLisax2FM05-07-21.thumb.JPG.b2d8ffd0113baa5025b4027a310a3387.JPG1595481833_SabalpalmettoLisax20405-07-21.thumb.JPG.624bbc3e49acfb971d7c21f69ec18242.JPG

Dypsis cabadae: very pretty and elegant

472918362_DypsiscabadaeFM0605-07-21.thumb.JPG.e19bf096436ab73c1821a25fdbc19451.JPG1950968292_DypsiscabadaeFtMyers0105-07-21.thumb.JPG.8ca8ef7a36e22b252a969de9afb02e1d.JPG1959221508_DypsiscabadaeFM0205-07-21.thumb.JPG.0df1da2f8f50ab02a17acb5f00cb7ac1.JPG1469843997_DypsiscabadaeFMmarker05-07-21.thumb.JPG.27bd26da6e8140a103032821e3da3361.JPG

Syagrus schizophylla with seeds

2036545048_SyagrusschizophyllaFtMyers0105-07-21.thumb.JPG.4773ad0926e6263720c5ffbf187c59f1.JPG281730996_SyagrusschizophyllaseedsFM005-07-21.thumb.JPG.d18ef55c7e4dac746b39466b780fc7ef.JPG1139474885_Syagrusschizophyllamarker05-07-21.thumb.JPG.8cd781d13deb2378ecc237b7eaf18a73.JPG

Serenoa repens Silver: well trimmed and flowering

1289276739_SerenoarepenssilverFM0105-07-21.thumb.JPG.87f3f648fe6ed63ac55d384488c046e2.JPG1428410229_SerenoarepenssilverFM0205-07-21.thumb.JPG.5dd8ca4e35f6584b88ab60acc3689130.JPG1655202145_SerenoarepensFM0305-07-21.thumb.JPG.fb722d6738f4055e0335cbc14713024b.JPG1969750372_SerenoarepensFM05-07-21.thumb.JPG.04a6c501c2f26e53c942f337375d9d8a.JPG314934681_SerenoarepensFM0405-07-21.thumb.JPG.fbbee21b512f8f271726b05d30ae475d.JPG

  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teddytn
6 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Yesterday we traveled back to the Fort Myers Palm Park in downtown on Martin Luther King Ave to check on the status of two seeding Copernicias. I also took a few minutes to take photos of other palms.

Sabal palmetto Lisa x2: These are the wild Sabal Lisas rescued from certain destruction during renovations of I-75 about 10 years ago. The City of Ft. Myers donated space in this palm park where they will live in perpetuity. Notice that the palm on the right holds on to its boots; the one on the left does not. The palm on the left is my avatar.

1870667662_SabalpalmettoLisax2FM0105-07-21.thumb.JPG.b9875c09c57f172ee48bd621df7ef852.JPG930272651_SabalpalmettoLisax2FM0205-07-21.thumb.JPG.a29ccfffe84e7590ba57c54e69d4ffcf.JPG52300433_SabalpalmettoLisax2FM05-07-21.thumb.JPG.b2d8ffd0113baa5025b4027a310a3387.JPG1595481833_SabalpalmettoLisax20405-07-21.thumb.JPG.624bbc3e49acfb971d7c21f69ec18242.JPG

Dypsis cabadae: very pretty and elegant

472918362_DypsiscabadaeFM0605-07-21.thumb.JPG.e19bf096436ab73c1821a25fdbc19451.JPG1950968292_DypsiscabadaeFtMyers0105-07-21.thumb.JPG.8ca8ef7a36e22b252a969de9afb02e1d.JPG1959221508_DypsiscabadaeFM0205-07-21.thumb.JPG.0df1da2f8f50ab02a17acb5f00cb7ac1.JPG1469843997_DypsiscabadaeFMmarker05-07-21.thumb.JPG.27bd26da6e8140a103032821e3da3361.JPG

Syagrus schizophylla with seeds

2036545048_SyagrusschizophyllaFtMyers0105-07-21.thumb.JPG.4773ad0926e6263720c5ffbf187c59f1.JPG281730996_SyagrusschizophyllaseedsFM005-07-21.thumb.JPG.d18ef55c7e4dac746b39466b780fc7ef.JPG1139474885_Syagrusschizophyllamarker05-07-21.thumb.JPG.8cd781d13deb2378ecc237b7eaf18a73.JPG

Serenoa repens Silver: well trimmed and flowering

1289276739_SerenoarepenssilverFM0105-07-21.thumb.JPG.87f3f648fe6ed63ac55d384488c046e2.JPG1428410229_SerenoarepenssilverFM0205-07-21.thumb.JPG.5dd8ca4e35f6584b88ab60acc3689130.JPG1655202145_SerenoarepensFM0305-07-21.thumb.JPG.fb722d6738f4055e0335cbc14713024b.JPG1969750372_SerenoarepensFM05-07-21.thumb.JPG.04a6c501c2f26e53c942f337375d9d8a.JPG314934681_SerenoarepensFM0405-07-21.thumb.JPG.fbbee21b512f8f271726b05d30ae475d.JPG

It could be that they are just a lot taller and the crown is just wider, but the trunks on the sabal Lisa’s look narrower in diameter that a standard mature palmetto? That serenoa repens silver :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmfriend

Those Sabal Palmetto look impressive!

Any idea how old they might be?

Thank you for sharing those images -

Lars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmatierMeg
12 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Those Sabal Palmetto look impressive!

Any idea how old they might be?

Thank you for sharing those images -

Lars

I don't know but I'd guess decades old.

They are the size of normal Sabal palmettos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmfriend
On 5/10/2021 at 2:24 AM, PalmatierMeg said:

I don't know but I'd guess decades old.

They are the size of normal Sabal palmettos

Thank you!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      My Sabal miamiensis I germinated in 2015 from seeds I collected in Leu Garden, Orlando, has just finished ripening its crop of seeds for 2021 last week. I posted about this palm in 2020 because it has by far the largest seeds of any Sabal I have seen - twice as large as my first Sabal miamiensis I was gifted in 2008. See link below:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/65324-sabal-miamiensis-leu-garden-huge-fruit-seeds/&do=findComment&comment=954404
      Photo 1:  Left) Six seeds of S. miamiensis 'Leu Garden' - compared to - Right) six seeds of my older S. miamiensis 'Original' (2020)

      The 2021 seeds are just as large as last year's and the mother palm flowered early this past spring weeks before any of my other Sabals, including my first miamiensis. Those seeds started ripening in August whereas other Sabal spp seeds won't ripen until late Oct. through Dec. When I posted the topic linked to above, it was suggested that this palm may be a hybrid of an S. miamiensis mother (from which I collected seeds in 2015) and a Sabal mexicana growing close by in Leu. In any case I have an excellent crop of seeds available and wonder whether PTers who experienced last winter's record cold in TX might find them worthy of growing for the future, esp. if they include mexicana genes. It is gratifying to see how much greater respect the Sabal genus has gained over the past few years. This hybrid has grown quickly and vigorously - for a Sabal - since I germinated its seed in 2015. No one has quantified how cold hardy S. miamiensis is as it is extinct in the wild and exists in only in botanical gardens and a few private collections. But I suspect its toughness will approach that of palmetto, perhaps even minor. See links regarding the history of this storied palm:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/1627-sabal-miamiensis/&tab=comments#comment-24549
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/47965-does-sabal-miamiensis-sabal-palmetto-does-it-matter/&tab=comments#comment-736500
      There is much more to read about the (pure) species but little or nothing about possible S. miamiensis hybrids. If you are interested in trying this hybrid, read on.
      For Sale:
      Sabal miamiensis 'Leu Garden' x S. mexicana hybrid seeds: $0.25 each                     Minimum Purchase = $10.00
      Shipping = $6.00 for up to 200 seeds. For more, request quote           No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested. Tell me how many seeds you want and I will respond with a quote. Give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. When you pay, tell me.
      NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.
      Photos
      Cleaned/uncleaned seeds

      Mother Palm

       
    • KsLouisiana
      By KsLouisiana
      Hey experts! So question for y'all.  So my local landscape place has 10'-12' Sabals right now non regenerated for $425. Not a bad deal. I was wondering if y'all think its a good time to plant one mid September.  I have a perfect spot for one and really need one. Haha. Thoughts on if there's enough warmth left in the season in Southern Louisiana zone 9.  I guess it's similar to North or central Florida.  Thanks for the advice y'all!

    • realarch
      By realarch
      This palm just keeps getting more and more beautiful. Just dropped a leaf sheath a few days ago and couldn’t help but snap a few photos.
      Tim



    • Tennessee Palms
      By Tennessee Palms
      One of my Sabal Minors has completely different fronds from the other's. They are larger, stiffer, not as deeply divided, and they have strange folds. I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't a different sabal like sabal x brazoriensis. 
    • Mr_Marojejya
      By Mr_Marojejya
      I fell in love with this palm and hope to grow it one day. I think it is a stunner. I hope it will be more widely grown one day.  It has been discovered for quite a while so I'm surprised it isn't more widely grown any ideas why? Does no one like it or something.
      i find it far more attractive than D. scandens because this appears to have much wider leaflets, what do you think
      If anyone grows it, would you tell your story?
      (or if you have any seeds...?)
       


×
×
  • Create New...