IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A gorge of palmy paradise...

sipalms

Here's some photos of Nikau / Rhopalostylis Sapida (mainland variety) in habitat, in the Waioeka Gorge, New Zealand. I was there today and yesterday.

These photos were taken across two days, and two different travel directions, and with three different cameras (phone, drone and digital SLR) so there'll be a bit of crossover and mix up as well as variance in lighting and shade.

By the way - for those not familiar - Waioeka isn't the only place in NZ to see Nikau in habitat in this way, it is just a very good example of typical NZ subtropical rainforest and terrain. The palms are the quintessential mainland variety of Rhopalostylis Sapida. I do love the Chatham/Pitt variety for its vigour and slightly more dramatic appearance, but you can't beat the iconic mainland Nikau right at home in its own habitat where it looks its best. 

Here's the start of the gorge, it gets a lot more steep and rugged the further in you go until you're surrounded by steep, nikau clad cliffs.

1.jpg.c855c0375b48d2f630c928f8520c66fb.jpg

2.jpg.a360a2135e267e7796a03067fe1deb5b.jpg

3.jpg.47dcbcb7615d548540e494a49802b826.jpg

4.2.jpg.09fabb4f5e07978145567e935cb5dea1.jpg

4.jpg.f9acd936b087e79013d8d8247322aedf.jpg

5.1.jpg.a4b11166b3595f85cbdf91524e6d7295.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

Very archontophoenix looking don't you think? If the crownshaft was a bit less bulbous and more elongated on these, they would easily pass for archies.

6.5.jpg.b79eeb47dedb49c29615bff273fc62f1.jpg

5.jpg.8d84a53701d4f0028b8f60c415fb6173.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

I spotted this one which recently had a couple of fronds snapped off, perhaps by a falling branch or something, I thought the leaf form in the sunlight like that was absolutely awesome. 

6.jpg.6b274760604f7a01a2b0c2170056c255.jpg

7.jpg.8d5aba7399c2617e5a95e0a126278f11.jpg

8.jpg.c2d8efb26b9ce0da929df2b6f29b8c4a.jpg

9.jpg.3ff49ddf9c5ab90a5ab67f5b8d932335.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

I badly wanted to cross the river to get some under canopy photos but couldn't face wet clothes for the long journey ahead. But finally I gave in and found a nice grove and went and got these photos. Jaw droppingly beautiful to be inside a grove like this with towering old Nikaus and their millions of offspring underneath.

As observed / mentioned before - these have a very Howea Forsteriana look when under canopy.

10.jpg.8547b53e83d8082812a64b4adb45010b.jpg

11.jpg.394e20298411395aaf96bd856580d0db.jpg

12.5.jpg.eabafcdf1affe323eecfa3108d1d7712.jpg

12.jpg.cea36e5de05937dd610e23e994428c6a.jpg

13.jpg.3938478a20b4ce2022cdbaecdf90ab04.jpg

14.jpg.e7b818f5c05a08099fc2a9224651df24.jpg

15.jpg.d11c04acf5e87f13dc4f5def58a8438e.jpg

• Like 29
  • Upvote 2

Thank you for sharing your pictures here.

• Like 1

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

Thanks very much for posting, habitat images are the best !  :greenthumb:

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

Trying to embed a wistia video, anyone know how?

Edited by sipalms

@sipalms cool pictures. Part of my yard is starting to look a little like that . . . .

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

WoW!  Amazing photos and location!!!!  Thank you for posting!

• Like 1

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

10 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

@sipalms cool pictures. Part of my yard is starting to look a little like that . . . .

Do you mean with a Nikau jungle? Pics please!

I made this video for y'all to enjoy...

Edited by sipalms
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, sipalms said:

I made this video for y'all to enjoy...

Beautiful 

• Like 3

Absolutely stunning mate, you are a lucky man to live in such a beautiful part of the world my Kiwi friend. 

• Like 1

Very nice, thanks for posting.  What is the narrow foliaged plant to the left of the palm at the very end ??   Cordyline, Pandanus, or something else  ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Very nice, thanks for posting.  What is the narrow foliaged plant to the left of the palm at the very end ??   Cordyline, Pandanus, or something else  ?

Darold, do you mean the hanging epiphytes to the right of this photo?;

DJI_0053.thumb.jpg.f584635c8e95d0cf5bbc6d498e0f9dbc.jpg

I'm not 100% certain but I believe they are Astelia, likely Astelia Microsperma or maybe Solandri... Some other Kiwis may know for sure.

• Like 1

Yes, the plant in the lower right corner of this image,  I will look up Astelia,  thanks

On 5/7/2021 at 11:21 PM, sipalms said:

Very archontophoenix looking don't you think? If the crownshaft was a bit less bulbous and more elongated on these, they would easily pass for archies.

6.5.jpg.b79eeb47dedb49c29615bff273fc62f1.jpg

5.jpg.8d84a53701d4f0028b8f60c415fb6173.jpg

Interesting how those have emerged through the canopy but have not taken on the more upright shuttlecock form.  Was that location relatively shady? 

• Like 1

Yes it was quite shady, also they were at the bottom of a steep part of the gorge so wouldn't have received much direct sunlight anyhow. I thought they looked awesome.

• Like 1

Just beautiful! Thanks for posting these terrific photos. I would like to get there one day, when travel is fun again.

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

On 5/9/2021 at 1:48 AM, Darold Petty said:

On 5/9/2021 at 5:25 AM, sipalms said:

Darold, do you mean the hanging epiphytes to the right of this photo?;

DJI_0053.thumb.jpg.f584635c8e95d0cf5bbc6d498e0f9dbc.jpg

I'm not 100% certain but I believe they are Astelia, likely Astelia Microsperma or maybe Solandri... Some other Kiwis may know for sure.

@richnorm or @PalmCode or @Gary , can you shed light on this? Is the epiphyte to the right, an Astelia of some sort?

Sorry I couldn't  tell what they are.  I'd say Richnorm is correct though. Awesome photos by the way. 

• Like 1

Thanks for posting all of this up. This thread is gold. I loved the video too.

That's why I want to plant my place up with a few hundred sapida. Very inspiring. It made my day. :)

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

19 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Thanks for posting all of this up. This thread is gold. I loved the video too.

That's why I want to plant my place up with a few hundred sapida. Very inspiring. It made my day. :)

Thanks, Tyrone. I was starting to get worried, as you're normally the first to drool over rhopie habitat pics, thought maybe I'd done something to offend you or something :lol:

10 minutes ago, sipalms said:

Thanks, Tyrone. I was starting to get worried, as you're normally the first to drool over rhopie habitat pics, thought maybe I'd done something to offend you or something :lol:

No!!!!!! I literally didn't notice this thread until a few minutes ago. I had a big weekend trying to fix my lawnmower on Saturday, then after fixing it, mowing everything in the rain on Sunday. I hadn't checked Palmtalk thoroughly enough.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 5 months later...
On 5/8/2021 at 1:23 AM, Darold Petty said:

Thanks very much for posting, habitat images are the best !  :greenthumb:

Hi Darold. Just did a search for Geonoma undata and your name came up. Are you plans seeding? I have one in my garden about 12 years old but is the green form. 

From warwick price 

On 5/8/2021 at 1:23 AM, Darold Petty said:

Thanks very much for posting, habitat images are the best