tank

Digging Macrozamia Moorei and Johnsonii

tank

I'm moving from my current house and was wondering if Macrozamia Moorei and Johnsonii dig and transplant well.  I don't have any experience with moving Macrozamias.  Are they any different from other Cycads?  Any tips would be appreciated.  I plan on root pruning them over a few weeks before I pop them.  They have caudexes of about 10-12"s, maybe a little larger.  Thanks.

msporty

I’ve dug and moved a small M. moorei (two times) and a bigger M. communis (once). The plants survived without a hitch, but were super unhappy and took a few years to get going again.

I've heard the same from others. I find that even moving them from a pot into the ground made them unhappy. 

image.thumb.jpg.87d4e5846f2ade0c4709a9ec6df3e77b.jpg

• Like 1

Merlyn

I was told the same thing by Tom Broome, basically don't dig them unless absolutely necessary.  Of course, I'd consider moving to a new place to be one of those necessary digs.  :D  But getting the largest and most intact root ball possible is probably a good idea.

tank

Thanks for the reply’s!