Sign in to follow this  
Jtee

What are your thoughts on bare root sabals of different varieties?

Jtee

On eBay today I noticed that a seller is selling Sabal minor, Sabal Birmingham and Sabal Louisiana all bare root. They are 1 gallon sized for $28. 
I’ve bought 4 bare root Sabal palmetto from eBay and one of those has thrived while the other 3 are acclimating with a struggle.  Are all Sabal varieties sensitive to bare root? 

PricklyPearSATC
20 minutes ago, Jtee said:

On eBay today I noticed that a seller is selling Sabal minor, Sabal Birmingham and Sabal Louisiana all bare root. They are 1 gallon sized for $28. 
I’ve bought 4 bare root Sabal palmetto from eBay and one of those has thrived while the other 3 are acclimating with a struggle.  Are all Sabal varieties sensitive to bare root? 

No to seedling bare root sabals.  If they are one gallon, they need to ship them in the growing pots.  It is worth the extra shipping expense.  It makes me wonder if the grower is digging them up from the yard? 

Edited by PricklyPearSATC
  • Upvote 2

Jtee
2 hours ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

No to seedling bare root sabals.  If they are one gallon, they need to ship them in the growing pots.  It is worth the extra shipping expense.  It makes me wonder if the grower is digging them up from the yard? 

He has several from his pics that are in 1 gallon pots. They look to be a good size for being 1 gallon and have a good root system. 

I spoke with a nursery in Georgia yesterday that ships their 1 and 3 gallon Sabals practically bare root also. I ordered one from both so we’ll see how they are. I had to gamble. 

Edited by Jtee
  • Like 1