IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What palms are in stock in your local Home Depot / Lowes?

smatofu

Stores north of Dallas, for some strange reason, are full of Pygmy Date palms. 

Also a few European and Mexican Fan palms. 

What is available in your area?

Queens, Foxtails, bottles, Pygmy,  majesty and bismarkia but those sell out quick.  Oddly they don't sell Mexican fan palms here.

Edited by Reyes Vargas

Recently I’ve seen - Washingtonia filifera, Washingtonia robusta, CIDP, Trachycarpus fortunei, Chamaerops & for some reason Phoenix roebelenii, Butia mutts

At nurseries one can also buy Brahea armata and Phoenix dactylifera 

None yet - usually end of May or first week of June they show up.

Last year outside was Trachycarpus fortunei, Chamaerops humilis (green), Ponytail palms, Washingtonia robusta and filifera. 

Pygmy dates, Majesties, Cat palms, Lady palms and coconuts are kept inside

• Like 1

It's just the usual Phoenix canariensis, Chamaerops humilis, and Trachycarpus fortunei.  Twice as many Phoenix as the other two (but in past years sometimes they only have Phoenix).  In this area they tend to be spontaneous purchases rather than people deliberately going out to buy palms - as a result you don't often see larger sizes.  All small ones in at the moment.

This is one of many palm areas in the local B&Q:

IMG_1696.thumb.JPG.3d2da0cd7d1ee0c1e57678ff0bf5acc3.JPG

• Like 1

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

In my area Seattle metro, Lowes: Trachycarpus fortunei, Chamaerops humilis, Washingtonia filifera.  They don't have neither Butia or Cycad  this year, bizarre. 

PXL_20210421_033234521.jpg

Edited by Trustandi
Typho
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Queens, Foxtails, bottles, Pygmy,  majesty and bismarkia but those sell out quick.  Oddly they don't sell Mexican fan palms here.

Same, except we get the Robusta.

1 hour ago, Trustandi said:

In my area Seattle metro, Lowes: Trachycarpus fortunei, Chamaerops humilis, Washingtonia filifera.  They don't have neither Butia or Cycad  this year, bizarre. 

PXL_20210421_033234521.jpg

Yours already has them?  I don't get it, we should have them first, Portland is that extra bit warmer than Seattle, you'd think they'd work their way northward not the opposite.

Ours never have Butia, and Sagos if they get them are inside.

The stores here typically carry:

Adonidia merrillii
Bismarckia nobilis
Butia odorata
Caryota mitis
Chamaedorea cataractarum
Chamaerops humilis
Cocos nucifera
Dypsis decaryi
Dypsis lutescens
Hyophorbe lagenicaulis
Hyophorbe verschaffeltii
Livistona chinensis
Livistona decora
Phoenix canariensis
Phoenix roebellenii
Phoenix sylvestris
Ravenea rivularis
Rhapidophyllum hystrix
Rhapis excelsa
Syagrus romanzoffiana
Thrinax radiata
Washingtonia robusta
Wodyetia bifurcata

The biggest sellers for larger palms are Foxtails (Wodyetia) and Christmas palms (Adonidia) while Pygmy Date Palms dominate the smaller palm market.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Anybody knows a store with Canary Island Date Palm close to Dallas, please?

Dramatically poorer selection than what USED TO BE true.  Now, it's pretty miserable; Chamaedorea, Phoenix roebellini,  Chinese fans, Majesty ad nauseum and the cycad, Cycas revoluta.

Here in south Alabama my Lowe’s has

Sylvester Palm

mexican fan palms

pindo palms

pygmy date palms

queen palms

Magesty palms

Chinese fan palms

i wish we got windmill palms here 

Edited by Jtee
  • Like 1

My local HD has Majesties for days, pygmy date palms,a couple Windmills, and a couple Med Fan Palms. I had to drive to Conroe today so I hit up Lowe's. Tons of Roebelleini, and a bunch of queens in varying sizes. A couple of 25 gallon monsters, too. I was looking for a mule and there was no mule. 

@Chester B yes, they always have them around late April. Maybe there are more people buying palms in Seattle area? 

I wish we could get bigger sizes of Livistona chinensis, Brahea, Rhapis excelsa and mule palm here. 

• Like 1

A handful of pindos, med fan, and some bottles?!

Can't find a windmill, needles, or sabals...

Southeast NC

20210407_104710.thumb.jpg.d0495f6e4ec3361ff461bc28981e150d.jpg

Ravenea rivularis, Chamadorea cataractum, Dypsis lutescens, Syagrus romanzoffiana, Chamaerops humilis, Trachycarpus fortunei, Cocos nucifera, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Hyophorbe lagencaulis, Wodyetia bifurcata, Adonidia merrilli.  That is the usual selection.  Sometimes another Chamadorea.

The selection here so far has been extremely bland, needs something to spice it up. Lowe's has one lone foxtail (there were more a week ago), a pygmy date, a european fan palm, a sago, and the rest of the area is filled with majesties. Nothing really interesting except for the foxtail, but everything there except for all the majesties are in terrible shape. Either its yellow fronds with brown spots or nearly all fronds are missing.
Home depot, pygmy dates, sagos, majesties, and cats.

The last time i saw a Queen at either garden center was a couple months ago which is interesting to me.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

At Bunnings we have mainly kings, golden cane (butterfly), pygmy dates, rhapis, fishtails and kentias (thatch). 

Edited by philinsydney

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Home Depot Nanaimo only had the following this past weekend:

-T. fortunei

-P. roebelenii

-R. rivularis 

Not a super exciting selection and it’s always hit and miss up here north of the border. Some years I have seen Cocos, Butia, Syagrus and Chamaerops and other years we are just stuck with the boring aforementioned 3. Fingers crossed for something exciting this year!

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

In College Station I have seen pygmy date, medies, mexican fan palms, windmill, mules (only occasionally), pindo, and queens.

Big Box stores:

Lately, their stock does not seem to be as plentiful as in recent years past. Perhaps because of huge demand for neighboring Texas?

I'm not sure why they sell bottle palms in places outside Zone 10 - for protected locations and indoors I suppose. Like the Majestys.

On the day I took this pic in March, they had a 50% off sale. Queens 6ft+ were only $25 each.  Pygmy Dates around 20 and Small Mexican fan palms were $7 each.

I also typically see Sagos, Ponytails, Windmills, Med Fan palms, Livistonia chinensis, an occasional pindo or CIDP.

Hardly ever any Sabals, Washingtonia Filifera, blue hespers and other Brahea, but late in the year maybe an Archontophoenix or foxtail, which might be overstock from Florida I suppose.

Local nurseries:

Seem to be dumbing down their inventory to the safe and boring. But there's more commercial/landscaping places around, showing off their mule palms , robustas and full grown Sabals.

The mules run about 80 a foot or 100 installed - not cheap.

Sometimes I go to New Orleans, where I might be able to find more exotic stuff and I do occasional mail order and have been dabbling with seedlings.

20210324_170144.jpg

Edited by Sabal_Louisiana
edit
  • Like 2

Of the 5 Lowe’s and Home Depot’s close to me, they barely carry any palms.  Mostly coconuts, V merrrelli, roebellinis, bottles/spindles, and some small majesty’s.  Nothing even remotely interesting for around here.   The local popular nurseries carry acres of the the 7-8 most common palms, but nothing else.    

I have to seek out the really specialized nurseries to get to anything else.   I’m not above BB stores if they have something interesting.  I did find 2 baby Thrinax radiata a few weeks back, which was nice.  

Economics I guess.   

16 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

The biggest sellers for larger palms are Foxtails (Wodyetia) and Christmas palms (Adonidia) while Pygmy Date Palms dominate the smaller palm market.

I'm really curious why Royals aren't available more. Is it just cause of the eventual size of them ? Seems like you can get a 15g Royal in no time from seed. 

T J 

T J 

16 hours ago, Trustandi said:

@Chester B yes, they always have them around late April. Maybe there are more people buying palms in Seattle area? 

I wish we could get bigger sizes of Livistona chinensis, Brahea, Rhapis excelsa and mule palm here. 

I wouldn't think Seattle have more, lots of palms around here although probably 95%+ are Trachycarpus fortunei.  I would think there would be just as many people with them if not a little more with the slightly warmer weather- better survival for novice growers.

Bigger sizes??  The only ones of those I have seen are the Rhapis and this year was the first time.  I've been looking for them for a long time and ended up mail ordering a couple years back.  I would love it if they brought in some of those mules.  There is only one place I know of in Oregon that sells them and they are 3x the price what people in Texas, etc are paying for them.

I was at one HD last week and no tropicals yet.  Really hoping they bring in something good, but I have noticed each store gets completely different stock.  In Portland I would say the Oregon City store and the Happy Valley store always have the best selection.  The others I have been hardly have any palms.

I just got back from HD and they had chamaedorea cataractarum.20210506_103000.thumb.jpg.168412e8083f95cea3fe088d88c54718.jpg

20210506_103007.thumb.jpg.6605b72c3ef394cbc4dd0f05a842ed51.jpg

Is this a good price for them and are cat palms worth buying?  Thanks.

Edited by Reyes Vargas
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Our equivalent of Home Depot is 'Homebase', which usually has a crappy, limited selection of palms that are not cared for properly at all. Come April, they always get the bog standard CIDP, Chamaerops and Trachycarpus in, which are probably shipped straight over from Spain or Italy. It's rare that you will find any other types, or any more exotic palms. I have seen Washingtonia triplets (3 in a pot) and some small Cycas Revoluta this year. But that is about as exotic as it gets in our big garden/DIY retailers. Come July/August, any palms that are left have dried out completely and look dreadful due to neglect. They get no care whatsoever once they arrive. 

thumbnail_image1-14.thumb.jpg.23b7780b3f1685e770ae3efc2e0ab714.jpg

Ryland has already covered B&Q, which is our equivalent of Lowes in the US. Both Homebase and B&Q have kids on the tills, stocking shelves, and out back watering plants. I mean this respectively, but the 15-16 year old kids they employ don't have a clue about plants in general, let alone palms. They earn minimum wage and don't care about the role. Last summer I told one of them that they needed to water the Trachycarpus palms as they were all dying and he said "what's a Trachycarpus"? I spoke to another guy who was wearing a manager tag, who couldn't have been older than 19-20 years old, and when I said that he needed to water the Trachy's, his response was "we don't water desert plants". Says it all really.  

My local private garden centres aren't much better either. For years they have been labelling Trachycarpus Fortunei as 'Chamaerops Humilis, and vice versa. Massively overcharging on Chamaerops as well, with a £100 specimen being sold for £275. And £150 Trachy's being sold for £400. Absolute rip-off. They can't even get the names right either...

thumbnail_image0-33.thumb.jpg.62a1f764f2163b6987dbba36bff770f1.jpg

Not sure what a Chamaerops 'Excelsa' is, but that is a Trachycarpus...

thumbnail_image0-34.thumb.jpg.d3a3524618600e99c27bd46cfa506f05.jpg

Unbelievably, this one is named Trachycarpus Fortunei....

thumbnail_image1-15.thumb.jpg.7e498ff819aea5116b520331e1a45996.jpg

At least they got the names right for the smaller Chamaerops, sort of...

thumbnail_image0-35.thumb.jpg.db9324631bc7f1b08e7af2b7b0c772a9.jpg

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

1 hour ago, Reyes Vargas said:

I just got back from HD and they had chamaedorea cataractarum.

20210506_103007.thumb.jpg.6605b72c3ef394cbc4dd0f05a842ed51.jpg

I saw them last month!  I thought about buying one, so I googled while on my phone! 
They probably wouldn't be worth the effort in San Antonio.   Seems like 9b.  Here is a copy paste of a thread on palm talk:
Go for it!  Probably worth it in the RGV!   Will probably last at least 30 years! 

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/48238-cold-hardy-chamaedorea/

I planted half a dozen 5 gal. C. cataractarums and half a dozen 1 gal. C metallicas in 2008. All but one of each died in 2010 (covered) and the other 2 died in 2011. I planted another half a dozen C. cataractarums in spring 2012. Those had about 50% foliage damage in spring 2014 but after 2 growing seasons they have recovered nicely. Another half a dozen 1 gal. Metallics will go into the ground this spring.

C. Cataractarums grow faster with some sun.

2015    30    10a

2014    25    9b

2013    31    10a

2012    31    10a

2011    23    9a

2010    21    9a

2009    27    9b

2008    32    10a

2007    29    9b    

2006    30    10a

Ed in Houston

Edited by PricklyPearSATC
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I do get it I’m in TN, there was 2 chamaerops humilis the other day, I bought 1. The last time I’ve seen anything other that majesty palms inside was 7-8 years ago one of the local HD had blue pot 1 gal needle palms and trachycarpus. They should at least stock sabal minor and needle palms here. I’m jealous of all of your pics on one hand and not on the other, because I would be broke and divorced if I could stroll into HD or Lowe’s and come out with a load of palms every weekend. :D

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Reyes, I think they are beautiful with their dark green foliage.  Not a bad price and I got one as well.  They are one of the most sun tolerant of the Chamaedoreas but they need a lot of water if they get much sun.  If you've got a shady spot I'd go for it.  I put one in the ground and keep one in a large container.  Worth getting if you don't mind keeping them well watered.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Lowes in Portland had nothing.  I actually went down there to see if I could special-order on of those 6.5gal Mules I keep hearing about.  Although the Item Number is in their system, they could not find any inventory anywhere in the country.  Mules sure are a hard one to find, and not just in the PNW I think.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Reyes, I think they are beautiful with their dark green foliage.  Not a bad price and I got one as well.  They are one of the most sun tolerant of the Chamaedoreas but they need a lot of water if they get much sun.  If you've got a shady spot I'd go for it.  I put one in the ground and keep one in a large container.  Worth getting if you don't mind keeping them well watered.

I will buy a couple tomorrow.  One question, are these clumping palms or do they plant many palms in the same pot?  Thanks.

38 minutes ago, James W said:

Lowes in Portland had nothing.  I actually went down there to see if I could special-order on of those 6.5gal Mules I keep hearing about.  Although the Item Number is in their system, they could not find any inventory anywhere in the country.  Mules sure are a hard one to find, and not just in the PNW I think.

I always see the palms right around June 1, when they bring in the Ensetes and Birds of Paradise.  I don't think we'll ever see the mules here.

Lowes didn't bring in any palms here in Clackamas last year, only indoor ones, and the two previous years only a few palms in total.  4 years back they had so many Trachys it was ridiculous, and lots of triples in pots and everything was cheap.  That year I got 5 triples from them and 2 singles as my garden was pretty bare.  

HD in Keizer never gets any palms, I always check when I'm down that way.  Beaverton HD also has a pretty sad selection everytime I've been there, and Mall 205 HD doesn't bring in palms either.

Edited by Chester B

8 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I'm really curious why Royals aren't available more. Is it just cause of the eventual size of them ? Seems like you can get a 15g Royal in no time from seed. 

T J 

They really should be.  A lot of the "non-big-box nurseries" will carry them, so it isn't much of a loss that they don't.  They recently started carrying Thrinax radiata.  It would be great if they carried all of our native palms.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

The local Lowes had an overabundance of pygmy date palms. The HEB supermarket even sold queens!

I guess they do all need to be replaced...

Lowes Roebb2.jpg

Loes Roebb.jpg

HEB Queens.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Swolte said:

The local Lowes had an overabundance of pygmy date palms. The HEB supermarket even sold queens!

I guess they do all need to be replaced...

Lowes Roebb2.jpg

Loes Roebb.jpg

HEB Queens.jpg

Was this today? I may just have to buy them. It’s all they have!

i kept Pygmys alive for 10 years and some queens for 20. I am clearly Climate delusional Again.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Yes, just a while ago today. HEB at Towerpoint.
:)

Edited by Swolte

Just now, Swolte said:

Yes, just a while ago today. HEB at Towerpoint.
:)

I am clearly climate delusional once again, see my edited post above. 

• Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Once the Pygmys got taller than my roof I couldn’t protect them as well. They were big boxed plants to begin with and I put them in front of a triple window. So I could open a window and let the heat go under a blanket if needed too. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1