IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What palms are in stock in your local Home Depot / Lowes?

smatofu

Conroe Lowe's only had a couple Roebelleini and some Majesties today. Yawn. 

***PALM NERD ALERT***

Just left the Walmart in League City TX and they had three 7.5 gal Chamaerops and three 7.5 gal R. Hystrix on clearance for $22 each.  I've lived in Houston for almost 2 years now and this is is the first time I've even seen Needles for sale locally.  Tagging TJ because I know he lives around the corner. @OC2Texaspalmlvr

20210607_165645.jpg

• Like 2

@Keys6505 good looking out , I can't even say I have ever frequented Wallys looking for palms. That's a steal for sure 

T J 

T J 

Wow - at that price I'd buy all of them and worry about where to put them all later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Keys6505 good looking out , I can't even say I have ever frequented Wallys looking for palms. That's a steal for sure 

T J 

I use to buy 3 gal windmill palms at Walmart in New Braunfels a few years back. They were like $12 a palm. 

I see again Bismarckia in the Houston area at Lowe's. The 14G ones ($104)  are at League City (8 in stock) and Pearland (3 in stock). For the 6.5G ($59.98) ones, I see them at Pearland (22 in stock),  E. Houston (2 in stock),  League City (3 in stock), and Baytown (2 in stock).

Now I really would not have where to plant them anymore. :) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

I see again Bismarckia in the Houston area at Lowe's. The 14G ones ($104)  are at League City (8 in stock) and Pearland (3 in stock). For the 6.5G ($59.98) ones, I see them at Pearland (22 in stock),  E. Houston (2 in stock),  League City (3 in stock), and Baytown (2 in stock).

Now I really would not have where to plant them anymore. :) 

I was at the League City Lowes an hour ago, they had triple bottles for like $150.  I've never seen them for sale before.  They didn't look very good though, they were all straight up, no curve away from each other so it just looked crowded.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped at a Lowes off old St Augustine Rd in Jax and they had 2 good looking mules but it was the "hairy" Euro palm that caught my eye... almost old manish.  My 1 Euro lacks the hair fibers, interesting the variations in this species.

IMG_20210619_131047408.jpg

IMG_20210619_131038254.jpg

IMG_20210619_124401599.jpg

IMG_20210619_124405474.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/23/2021 at 9:22 PM, The7thLegend said:

I stopped at a Lowes off old St Augustine Rd in Jax and they had 2 good looking mules but it was the "hairy" Euro palm that caught my eye... almost old manish.  My 1 Euro lacks the hair fibers, interesting the variations in this species.

IMG_20210619_131047408.jpg

IMG_20210619_131038254.jpg

IMG_20210619_124401599.jpg

IMG_20210619_124405474.jpg

And I have been looking for a couple mules for a while now. My Lowe’s does not have these, but I did pickup a large Livistonia chinensis that has fronds reaching 12’+. Other than that they had Queens and CIPD.

Went out to Lowe's in Lewisville and picked up a couple of things.... I had two openings and picked up some nice Butias, nice size, great price as well as a really large bottle palm which got planted in a nice large pot and will be outside for a good half of the year and the other half will go into a nice large room we have here.  I was surprised to see a bottle palm at all, but the size struck me as well.  Also picked up a nice yucca recurvifolia that will go into our new retaining wall landscaping once it's done and will be joined with a yucca rostrata.  I've really come to love yuccas well, especially the more interesting ones that trunk.  It's hard to walk into one of these nurseries, and or stores and not come home with something these days.

• Like 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

Austin TX:

Home Depot: majesty's, small robusta hybrids, roebellenis, sagos

Lowes: majesty's, 6.5 gallon Filifera hybrid, 7ft ft tall roebellenis and washingtonias, sagos, 1 gallon butias, 1 euro fan palm

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms
  • Like 1

This is officially the biggest Washy I've seen in the PNW.  

And I couldn't help myself, this was such a nice looking Chamaerops.  

20210705_101647.jpg

20210705_121701.jpg

• Like 4

Not exactly a palm, but.. Lowes in League City TX has pretty big Ravenea Madagascariensis aka Travelers Palm for about $200.  I've never seen them for sale before.  They are prob 5'+ tall in maybe 20gal-ish pots.

Edited by Keys6505

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I just went to Lowe's in my area. They have 50% off all outdoor palms (Trachy, Chamaerops, Washingtonia).  

• Like 1

Lowe's in Austin TX has some nice looking bottle palms and small Washingtonias 

Ensley, FL Walmart location had a terrible selection for one, and all the plants they did have hadnt been watered in a while. Soil was bone dry in every pot and everything look sad. There were some dead Majesties, and i mean dead dead, no palm left dead, for $20. They did have some Foxtails for $15 and only two of a type of palm that i am unsure of, it was labeled as a Majesty but it was obviously not a Majesty. But seriously though, the least they could have done was cleaned up all the dead fronds laying around the garden center from the Majesties. 

• Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

got some trachies and pygmy date palms here in nova

• Like 1

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

I came across this Roystonea at our local Lowe's this morning, hiding among the queen palms.  The price isn't half bad at all for a Roystonea in this area.  Roystonea are seldom seen at the local big box stores.IMG_20210731_102247356.thumb.jpg.bd7dc43bf401a561a76cff186c8ec44d.jpg

IMG_20210731_102237663.jpg

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Found a few Dypsis Lutescens at Pearland TX Lowes today.  I know that isn't all that impressive to the Floridians but it's the first time I've come across them in my 2 years in TX.

Also, the League City store got in a few pallets of 14g Majesties a week or 2 ago.  Not really sure why, most of the other local stores have stopped getting palms in but League City decided to load up on giant non-hardy plants that are too big to carry inside.

20210910_154529.jpg

20210910_154544.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 9/10/2021 at 3:53 PM, Keys6505 said:

League City decided to load up on giant non-hardy plants that are too big to carry inside.

Are these the stretched out shade grown palms in tiny pots that can't stay upright? If so I need to get me some for the new property. My majesty in a very protected spot actually came back from Palmageddon. 

T J 

T J 

On 9/10/2021 at 3:53 PM, Keys6505 said:

Found a few Dypsis Lutescens at Pearland TX Lowes today.  I know that isn't all that impressive to the Floridians but it's the first time I've come across them in my 2 years in TX.

Houston Garden Center has been pushing them all summer :P

I'm ready for the next repeat of the 1997-2009 run. That was an incredible time for zone pushing in Houston. You'd just be driving somewhere and be blindsided by a huge mango tree or a foxtail palm. "non-hardy" is a "relative" term :lol: 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

13 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Are these the stretched out shade grown palms in tiny pots that can't stay upright? If so I need to get me some for the new property. My majesty in a very protected spot actually came back from Palmageddon. 

T J 

The $49 ones from the spring?  Nah, these are $119 and much bigger but I vote you try it anyway! Congrats on the new place!

7 hours ago, Xenon said:

Houston Garden Center has been pushing them all summer

Dang, I usually dont go there until the "70% Off" sign goes up lol.  I did make an exception this past spring for an Archie though (I believe at your recommendation?)!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

The $49 ones from the spring?  Nah, these are $119 and much bigger but I vote you try it anyway! Congrats on the new place!

I got 2 of those spring specials to replace my Bizzies that didn't survive Palmageddon. They were sooo stretched out and pot bound. Definitely gonna try some here at the new casa.

T J 

T J 

I was in Highland Park, IL for work last week and needed some hardware for the job. Stopped in at Home Depot and was shocked to see many Foxtail, Adondia and bottle palms for sale. Not discounted unfortunately…also would have been hard to fit in my checked bags on the return flight.

Edited by D Palm

@Keys6505 So I made it down to Lowes on 646 and they had four 15g Majesty palms at 119$ @Jeff985 talked to Sandy the manager and got them down on clearance for half off. Well worth it now I took one home for the new casa 

T J 

20210921_153423.jpg

20210921_153434.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

T J 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Scott W said:

First time I've seen a Mule palm in my local Lowes...decent size but I wouldn't pay that price :floor:

PXL_20210930_185226459.thumb.jpg.8ede2d6230803c2d0dccac22148c6bd1.jpgPXL_20210930_185232470.thumb.jpg.ca2959e7177c0a3b92e3e07987d3cf21.jpgPXL_20210930_185235856.thumb.jpg.b238f24110b8710b485b00cd68cde6ec.jpg

I haven’t seen a mule anywhere here. I would be tempted to pay that price if I could find one. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

It’s half the price the only place around here sells them for. 

12 hours ago, Scott W said:

First time I've seen a Mule palm in my local Lowes...decent size but I wouldn't pay that price :floor:

PXL_20210930_185226459.thumb.jpg.8ede2d6230803c2d0dccac22148c6bd1.jpgPXL_20210930_185232470.thumb.jpg.ca2959e7177c0a3b92e3e07987d3cf21.jpgPXL_20210930_185235856.thumb.jpg.b238f24110b8710b485b00cd68cde6ec.jpg

That is surprising Scott. I have not seen any here at Lowe’s or HD. 

1 hour ago, KDubU said:

That is surprising Scott. I have not seen any here at Lowe’s or HD. 

This is Lowes at Regency Square.  Again, first time ever seeing them there.  Maybe it'll get discounted....

10” landscape palm at local walmart…I believe they are Livistonia Chinensis. Purchased 4 at $3.75 each.

EE7B2558-C96A-46AF-8B01-90B7319F5AC3.thumb.jpeg.bc6dcb27e0e0cf9f2f90c6483f6bb76e.jpeg

5606B3F3-C03A-42F9-85FC-DE6847EF68AD.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/1/2021 at 10:37 AM, Scott W said:

This is Lowes at Regency Square.  Again, first time ever seeing them there.  Maybe it'll get discounted....

Lowe’s in Lake City, FL had a Sylvester and Mule for I think almost a year. I do not think they discounted them. Mules and Sylvester prices hold steady…unfortunately. I wish Walmart would carry them, they have no rhyme or reason for clearance on plants.

• Like 1

I saw at my local Enterprise Alabama Lowe’s they had no discounted palms yet but did have a cardboard palm, that is the first time I’ve ever seen on for sale in a store.