IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

We’ve had a bit of rain.

Tyrone

We had 32mm of rain yesterday and the stream and lakes all broke there banks again. I’m still on edge after the flooding and was watching the level closely overnight. Thankfully the rain eased off and the level dropped back again. 

I wont be mowing the lawn for a good while. The mower will just get bogged. 

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

700mm of rain for the year and climbing so far. The rain hasn’t let up today at all. 

491mm has fallen since the beginning of May. That’s about 50mm a week for 10 weeks approx. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

4 hours ago, Tyrone said:

700mm of rain for the year and climbing so far. The rain hasn’t let up today at all. 

491mm has fallen since the beginning of May. That’s about 50mm a week for 10 weeks approx. 

That is a hell of a lot of rain, in such a short period of time. No wonder you guys have been flooded out in southern WA. One of many weather anomalies across the world in 2021.

Do you think La Nina is to blame for your record rainfall? I strongly suspect La Nina to be responsible for my skewed weather patterns this year. It may also be to blame for the extreme heatwaves in the PNW and Arctic/Siberia. Not to mention various tornado outbreaks in Europe and record rainfalls in NYC & parts of Japan. Plus the Texas freeze. Something is definitely 'off' this year.

I have had 302mm here so far this year, in what I would consider a slightly wetter than average year. May and June, which are supposed to be my driest months, both were significantly wetter than average. May was a record breaker. I have had 185mm since the begging of May, which might be a record for this location, given that May and June are statistically my driest months.

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

11 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

That is a hell of a lot of rain, in such a short period of time. No wonder you guys have been flooded out in southern WA. One of many weather anomalies across the world in 2021.

Do you think La Nina is to blame for your record rainfall? I strongly suspect La Nina to be responsible for my skewed weather patterns this year. It may also be to blame for the extreme heatwaves in the PNW and Arctic/Siberia. Not to mention various tornado outbreaks in Europe and record rainfalls in NYC & parts of Japan. Plus the Texas freeze. Something is definitely 'off' this year.

I have had 302mm here so far this year, in what I would consider a slightly wetter than average year. May and June, which are supposed to be my driest months, both were significantly wetter than average. May was a record breaker. I have had 185mm since the begging of May, which might be a record for this location, given that May and June are statistically my driest months.

On June 20th we had 90mm/hr precipitation rates during that unbelievable cyclonic thunderstorm. It even got a spin up on the radar so much so that within a couple of kms you can see that the trees have all fallen in about a 60 degrees different direction in the two worst hit areas. It was just like a category 1 cyclone. 

La Niña, yes, that had supposedly stopped in March but they are saying it’s going to reform. What effects us more is the Indian Ocean Dipole or IOD. It’s a bit like the LaNina ElNino thing that exists in the pacific, but refers to the Indian Ocean. When Ocean temps are higher near the eastern Indian Ocean near Indonesia and Northern Australia it forms more moisture in the atmosphere and that river of suspended atmospheric water drifts down on a diagonal to central and eastern Australia and can bring them rain and floods. When it combines with a La Niña from the Pacific Ocean they amplify each other. The eastern Australian states had mega floods this year. 

However down here it appears that that the negative IOD set up extra moisture down to my area as well as parts of the west coast. TC Seroja that hit Kalbarri came from that eastern Indian Ocean area and also flooded parts of Indonesia. The remnants came down here and dumped on us too. 

The rainfall rates up in Perth were stated as being unusual and more consistent with the tropical monsoon in places like Darwin. The same has been the case down here.

We’ve got another week of rain after a dry spell today. I’ve been cleaning out drains and digging new ones. I just hope we don’t get stuck under a psycho thunderstorm they hadn’t predicted and go under. The sand bags are still set up which is a plus.

So yes 2021 has been weird weather wise. Extreme heat near the Arctic, cold Spring in the UK,  Texas froze in something resembling Siberia, floods in Oz, droughts and fire in the western US and probably heaps of stuff that doesn’t make the local news.