IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Removing soil around the rootball of a Roebelenii

Palmfarmer

i have 3 fot Roebelenii that was doing fantastic outdoors. However it started deceling recently (new leaf tips started getting slightly yellow and it needed constant watering to not have the fronds hang)

I think because it was so rootbound and the soil have gotton very compacted around the rootball. It had to be broken out of the pot.

I Have bought a new pot for it that is around 25% bigger.

I am wondering if the best thing to do is try and remove a good chunk of the bad soil around the rootball using a waterhose before replanting it in the bigger pot as it might not only have the issue of compaction, but buildup from bad things in the water & syntetic fertlizers etc and the pot will have more nutrients with more of the new soil. 

I heard that Roebeleniis are quite root hardy so should this be fine to do?

My other question is nutrient deficiancy most likely the cause of the yellowing tips on the new fronds? Thanks 

Edited by Palmfarmer
  • Like 1

I have not done this but I think that it will be fine. I friend has actually root pruned his to stay in a small pot, and it was fine. 

If you don't fertilize much it may be running out and cause yellow tips. Mine in the garden has yellow tips but I don't fertilize at all.

I just saw this, tip browning can be from too much fertilizer too, apparently. 

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/60756-pygmy-date-palm-am-i-doing-it-right/

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

19 hours ago, gtsteve said:

I have not done this but I think that it will be fine. I friend has actually root pruned his to stay in a small pot, and it was fine. 

If you don't fertilize much it may be running out and cause yellow tips. Mine in the garden has yellow tips but I don't fertilize at all.

I just saw this, tip browning can be from too much fertilizer too, apparently. 

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/60756-pygmy-date-palm-am-i-doing-it-right/

i Decided to not do it after all and just repotted since the rootball soil was completly filled out with roots. i got half a bag left of some organic fertlizer I will try. Bag says to use the hole bag (5kg of fertlizer for a small regular tree) Any suggestion on how much to try on the robilinii? 1kg? I have been using a synth fertlizer on it previously like all purpose mix of 18-18-18, but its lacking micronutrients,