IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Funky new c. Plumosa frond

JohnAndSancho

New frond opened up on my C. Plumosa that I got from Phil last month. Did this new leaf just open funky because it was smushed in a box? Lots of new growth on it already, still in the nursery pot and it's vibing on my patio. All the other new leaves look happy and normal. 

20210504_185752.jpg

I Cant say for certain what is causing that problem, but I am pretty sure it will grow out of that.

Google told me this was one of the fastest growing palms, is that your experience as well? Getting some seed soon. Are they fast germinators as well?

23 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

I Cant say for certain what is causing that problem, but I am pretty sure it will grow out of that.

Google told me this was one of the fastest growing palms, is that your experience as well? Getting some seed soon. Are they fast germinators as well?

Couldn't tell you. I bought it from Jungle Music a few weeks ago. It's growing like a weed on my patio here in Texas tho. 

• Like 1

It will be fine. I have an D. Onilahensis that did the same thing. I assume the results will be similar. Why it does it sometimes is a better question? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It might be a very minor Boron deficiency, no need for alarm, just a shot of complete fertilizer, or even good compost.  

Deficiency of the macro elements (NPK) will occur on the older foliage, while lack of the minor elements will occur on the newest foliage.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/EP273

• Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

They are exceptionally fast growers when fed and watered well. These in my yard have 8-10” spaces between leaf scars on the trunks. There canopies are way up into the adjacent King palms so you have to get used to just seeing their pretty green trunks. 

1AF89903-81D6-4E50-9EFD-F4DC1416D698.thumb.jpeg.e7196cc43d34a648548e12bb6ad23d80.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens