Sign in to follow this  
JohnAndSancho

Funky new c. Plumosa frond

JohnAndSancho

New frond opened up on my C. Plumosa that I got from Phil last month. Did this new leaf just open funky because it was smushed in a box? Lots of new growth on it already, still in the nursery pot and it's vibing on my patio. All the other new leaves look happy and normal. 

20210504_185752.jpg

Palmfarmer

I Cant say for certain what is causing that problem, but I am pretty sure it will grow out of that.

Google told me this was one of the fastest growing palms, is that your experience as well? Getting some seed soon. Are they fast germinators as well?

JohnAndSancho
23 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

I Cant say for certain what is causing that problem, but I am pretty sure it will grow out of that.

Google told me this was one of the fastest growing palms, is that your experience as well? Getting some seed soon. Are they fast germinators as well?

Couldn't tell you. I bought it from Jungle Music a few weeks ago. It's growing like a weed on my patio here in Texas tho. 

• Like 1

Billeb

It will be fine. I have an D. Onilahensis that did the same thing. I assume the results will be similar. Why it does it sometimes is a better question? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Darold Petty

It might be a very minor Boron deficiency, no need for alarm, just a shot of complete fertilizer, or even good compost.  

Deficiency of the macro elements (NPK) will occur on the older foliage, while lack of the minor elements will occur on the newest foliage.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/EP273

• Upvote 2

Jim in Los Altos

They are exceptionally fast growers when fed and watered well. These in my yard have 8-10” spaces between leaf scars on the trunks. There canopies are way up into the adjacent King palms so you have to get used to just seeing their pretty green trunks. 

1AF89903-81D6-4E50-9EFD-F4DC1416D698.thumb.jpeg.e7196cc43d34a648548e12bb6ad23d80.jpeg

• Upvote 1