SoulofthePlace

Hyophorbe verschaffeltii seeds so different from 2 different sellers!

SoulofthePlace

Bought 30 Hyophorbe verschaffeltii seeds from Germany (ebay seller) and 70 seeds from Belgium (Graines.be). The ones from Germany seem to match the photo on RPS website and other online photos, but the ones from Belgium (Graines.be) look so different. Does anyone have an idea what kind of seeds I received from Graines.be instead of Hyophorbe verschaffeltii? Photos are attached. The first photo with elongated seeds is from German seller. The second photo with seeds reminding of some tropical fruit are from Graines.be. Which ones are true Hyophorbe verschaffeltii and what kind of seeds are in the second photo?

DSC06734.JPG

DSC06736.JPG

Valhallalla

The first photo could be Hyophorbe verschaffeltii seeds but it is difficult to tell how big they are. Spindle palms are rather small seeds.

I don't know what they are but the second photo is definitely not.

I once saw a listing on eBay for "coconut palm tree seeds". Twenty of them for a couple dollars shipped from SE Asia. They had photos of beautiful coconut palms but the seeds were obviously citrus tree seeds probably from the grapefruit they had eaten that morning.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

SoulofthePlace

Thanks for replying. The Belgian (GRAINES.BE) supplied ones can't be by chance cleaned HV elongated seeds, can they. Their shape looks very tropical, with a dent, like a big tomato,  a bit like Lodoicea Coco de Mer, does it. The size of the ones in the first photo are small seeds at 1,5 cm long (15 mm).  I have made a little collection of links all selling Hyophorbe verschaffeltii seeds (with photos provided by the sellers like all professionals should do):

10 x PALM SEEDS Hyophorbe verschaffeltii (Spindle Palm) Palm seeds | eBay

Ebay seller with photo of the seeds: 10x Hyophorbe verschaffeltii Spindelpalme Palmen Samen Madagaskar Palme Seeds | eBay

Germany seller RPS with photo of the seeds: Hyophorbe verschaffeltii – Spindle Palm – Buy seeds at rarepalmseeds.com

Verse Spindle Palm zaden (Hyophorbe Verschaffeltii) - Drakenbloedboom

I hope it's okay to open another thread to ID the seeds in the second photo if no one will be able to ID them in this thread.

Edited by SoulofthePlace

Fusca
2 hours ago, SoulofthePlace said:

what kind of seeds are in the second photo?

DSC06736.JPG

These look a lot like Trachycarpus fortunei seeds.

• Upvote 1

4sergio89

baobab

• Upvote 1

4sergio89

T. princeps

• Upvote 1

maxum2610

Second are most likely T. Fortunei or other Trachycarpus. I grow these in my garden. First from RPS are correct. I also grow these. 

• Upvote 1

Tyrone

The second ones are definitely Trachycarpus and the odds are fortunei. 

They probably went down to a local park and took some seed and sent them.

maxum2610

I would contact them and let them know they made a "mistake". As a vendor of seeds, having your reputation trashed on this forum is bad for business. You could probably convince them to send you the right ones, or an acceptable alternative.

SoulofthePlace
2 hours ago, maxum2610 said:

I would contact them and let them know they made a "mistake". As a vendor of seeds, having your reputation trashed on this forum is bad for business. You could probably convince them to send you the right ones, or an acceptable alternative.

Thank you for your kind suggestion, but I would not take a second chance. There is a risk to receive old not viable seeds or etc. It is best to never purchase from such sellers again. I am already losing germination time this year with these seeds having to order them elsewhere. Graines.be also seem to run the following website as well: http://www.vente-de-graines.com

Edited by SoulofthePlace
  • Like 1

SoulofthePlace
4 hours ago, maxum2610 said:

I feel the need to comment a little more on your post. Would you like to remain uninformed the next time a seed seller sends absolutely wrong seeds to the unsuspecting uninformed buyer? Years later, after wasting years of his life, the buyer would realize they don't have the palm seedlings that they were looking to raise. I prefer to inform the public, so they can make educated choices while shopping for seeds. And the sellers should always post photo of the seeds they are selling. Every PROFESSIONAL seed seller (take note) should do that. This is not called "trashing" but politely discussing a possibility of this happening to someone else or multiple buyers, and preventing this from happening by discussing this in the public forum. The seller was informed about this thread. It is up to the seller to come here, apologise and promise to never let this happen again and tell us what changes they have made in order to reassure palm hobbyists. Too much to ask, some would say? Just about right! The seller has refunded the money (under protection of Paypal of course), but did not offer an option to send me the correct seeds. Which I would have refused, but they could have at least tried. Perhaps Graines.be are not confident in their knowledge of seeds?

Edited by SoulofthePlace

maxum2610

Didn't know he refunded you. I was just suggesting that you contact him first, and give him a chance of rectifying the problem. You have obviously contacted him, and, as he has not offered to send you replacements for FREE, you have every right to inform people about that seller.

SoulofthePlace
37 minutes ago, maxum2610 said:

Didn't know he refunded you. I was just suggesting that you contact him first, and give him a chance of rectifying the problem. You have obviously contacted him, and, as he has not offered to send you replacements for FREE, you have every right to inform people about that seller.

I did contact them first and asked them whether they will consider sending me the right seeds or a refund. I gain nothing from this deal, even that it was refunded in full, only lost a month of important germination time. Of course I got Trachycarpus fortunei (most likely) seeds that I was not planning of growing, so I am willing to share a few dozens with some fellow hobbyists within the European Union (no Customs), who can't afford them (cost to me about 20c per seed), but I want the cost of shipping to be paid by the recipient (about €2).

Edited by SoulofthePlace

maxum2610

I also have at least 5 buckets available to anyone who wants them. Can't seem to bring myself to dump them in the trash. Maybe I'll go sow them in the woods :floor:

SoulofthePlace
19 minutes ago, maxum2610 said:

I also have at least 5 buckets available to anyone who wants them. Can't seem to bring myself to dump them in the trash. Maybe I'll go sow them in the woods :floor:

That says a lot about their value. Trachycarpus are beautiful palms though.