IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hyophorbe verschaffeltii seeds so different from 2 different sellers!

SoulofthePlace

Bought 30 Hyophorbe verschaffeltii seeds from Germany (ebay seller) and 70 seeds from Belgium (Graines.be). The ones from Germany seem to match the photo on RPS website and other online photos, but the ones from Belgium (Graines.be) look so different. Does anyone have an idea what kind of seeds I received from Graines.be instead of Hyophorbe verschaffeltii? Photos are attached. The first photo with elongated seeds is from German seller. The second photo with seeds reminding of some tropical fruit are from Graines.be. Which ones are true Hyophorbe verschaffeltii and what kind of seeds are in the second photo?

DSC06734.JPG

DSC06736.JPG

• Like 1

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

The first photo could be Hyophorbe verschaffeltii seeds but it is difficult to tell how big they are. Spindle palms are rather small seeds.

I don't know what they are but the second photo is definitely not.

I once saw a listing on eBay for "coconut palm tree seeds". Twenty of them for a couple dollars shipped from SE Asia. They had photos of beautiful coconut palms but the seeds were obviously citrus tree seeds probably from the grapefruit they had eaten that morning.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for replying. The Belgian (GRAINES.BE) supplied ones can't be by chance cleaned HV elongated seeds, can they. Their shape looks very tropical, with a dent, like a big tomato,  a bit like Lodoicea Coco de Mer, does it. The size of the ones in the first photo are small seeds at 1,5 cm long (15 mm).  I have made a little collection of links all selling Hyophorbe verschaffeltii seeds (with photos provided by the sellers like all professionals should do):

10 x PALM SEEDS Hyophorbe verschaffeltii (Spindle Palm) Palm seeds | eBay

Ebay seller with photo of the seeds: 10x Hyophorbe verschaffeltii Spindelpalme Palmen Samen Madagaskar Palme Seeds | eBay

Germany seller RPS with photo of the seeds: Hyophorbe verschaffeltii – Spindle Palm – Buy seeds at rarepalmseeds.com

Verse Spindle Palm zaden (Hyophorbe Verschaffeltii) - Drakenbloedboom

I hope it's okay to open another thread to ID the seeds in the second photo if no one will be able to ID them in this thread.

Edited by SoulofthePlace
  • Like 1

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

2 hours ago, SoulofthePlace said:

what kind of seeds are in the second photo?

DSC06736.JPG

These look a lot like Trachycarpus fortunei seeds.

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

Second are most likely T. Fortunei or other Trachycarpus. I grow these in my garden. First from RPS are correct. I also grow these. 

• Upvote 1

The second ones are definitely Trachycarpus and the odds are fortunei. 

They probably went down to a local park and took some seed and sent them.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I would contact them and let them know they made a "mistake". As a vendor of seeds, having your reputation trashed on this forum is bad for business. You could probably convince them to send you the right ones, or an acceptable alternative.

2 hours ago, maxum2610 said:

I would contact them and let them know they made a "mistake". As a vendor of seeds, having your reputation trashed on this forum is bad for business. You could probably convince them to send you the right ones, or an acceptable alternative.

Thank you for your kind suggestion, but I would not take a second chance. There is a risk to receive old not viable seeds or etc. It is best to never purchase from such sellers again. I am already losing germination time this year with these seeds having to order them elsewhere. Graines.be also seem to run the following website as well: http://www.vente-de-graines.com

Edited by SoulofthePlace
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, maxum2610 said:

I feel the need to comment a little more on your post. Would you like to remain uninformed the next time a seed seller sends absolutely wrong seeds to the unsuspecting uninformed buyer? Years later, after wasting years of his life, the buyer would realize they don't have the palm seedlings that they were looking to raise. I prefer to inform the public, so they can make educated choices while shopping for seeds. And the sellers should always post photo of the seeds they are selling. Every PROFESSIONAL seed seller (take note) should do that. This is not called "trashing" but politely discussing a possibility of this happening to someone else or multiple buyers, and preventing this from happening by discussing this in the public forum. The seller was informed about this thread. It is up to the seller to come here, apologise and promise to never let this happen again and tell us what changes they have made in order to reassure palm hobbyists. Too much to ask, some would say? Just about right! The seller has refunded the money (under protection of Paypal of course), but did not offer an option to send me the correct seeds. Which I would have refused, but they could have at least tried. Perhaps Graines.be are not confident in their knowledge of seeds?

Edited by SoulofthePlace

Didn't know he refunded you. I was just suggesting that you contact him first, and give him a chance of rectifying the problem. You have obviously contacted him, and, as he has not offered to send you replacements for FREE, you have every right to inform people about that seller.

37 minutes ago, maxum2610 said:

Didn't know he refunded you. I was just suggesting that you contact him first, and give him a chance of rectifying the problem. You have obviously contacted him, and, as he has not offered to send you replacements for FREE, you have every right to inform people about that seller.

I did contact them first and asked them whether they will consider sending me the right seeds or a refund. I gain nothing from this deal, even that it was refunded in full, only lost a month of important germination time. Of course I got Trachycarpus fortunei (most likely) seeds that I was not planning of growing, so I am willing to share a few dozens with some fellow hobbyists within the European Union (no Customs), who can't afford them (cost to me about 20c per seed), but I want the cost of shipping to be paid by the recipient (about €2).

Edited by SoulofthePlace

I also have at least 5 buckets available to anyone who wants them. Can't seem to bring myself to dump them in the trash. Maybe I'll go sow them in the woods :floor:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, maxum2610 said:

I also have at least 5 buckets available to anyone who wants them. Can't seem to bring myself to dump them in the trash. Maybe I'll go sow them in the woods :floor:

That says a lot about their value. Trachycarpus are beautiful palms though.

• 1 year later...

UPDATE Nº1: The supposed Hyophorbe verschaffeltii seeds in my first original photo at the top of the page that were sold to me by a seller in Leipzig, Germany never germinated after two summers of best attempt. They probably were not fresh and too old.

UPDATE Nº2: The Trachycarpus seeds that were sent to me by WWW.GRAINES.BE NAEMA Sprl | Rue Collette 6 | 4557 Tinlot - Belgium E-mail : info@graines.be
Tel: +32 493/16.03.94 as Hyophorbe verschaffeltii never germinated after two summers of best attempt, too. To add an insult to an injury, In addition to sending me completely wrong seeds, GRAINES.BE sent me the cheapest palm seeds on the market that were not fresh (too old to germinate).

This past spring I have purchased a couple hundred of Hyophorbe verschaffeltii seeds from a seller on the island of Reunion and also from a seller in the continental France. The HV seeds from the Reunion island started germinating after about 2 months and now the pots are full of germinated seeds with a germination rate of probably close to 80%. The other pot with HV seeds from the seller in the continental France do not show any signs of life yet. They may still germinate and I hope this happens this autumn.

I have learned to not purchase seeds from non-tropical continental locales as most or all seeds they send are too old and not fresh to germinate.

Edited by SoulofthePlace
  • Like 2

I have often wondered how RPS could have such a large collection of seeds and how does he keep them fresh?

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

8 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

I have often wondered how RPS could have such a large collection of seeds and how does he keep them fresh?

The seller in Leipzig are not RPS. They are on ebay. They may be reselling RPS seeds though. RPS regular seed germination rates are between 0% and 20% at most and those RPS seeds that are marked as "fresh" or "new" germinated between 30% and 40% but others do not germinate. For example Areca catechu 'Dwarf' seeds were mailed dried, which is wrong. They should bee kept moist at all time from collecting them off the palm tree to delivery to germination. RPS admitted that and promised to me to resend ACD seeds correctly once they are available at RPS again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bubba said:

63B404BB-5392-4F66-B690-8B48A017B51A.thumb.jpeg.3c6a70367043ac46995828dc9aa731cd.jpeg

• Like 1

Beautiful palm. What's the location? It's not Hyophorbe verschaffeltii though.

• Like 1

This specimen is in Tampa,Fl. and is labeled as such. Certainly not a Bottle! That stated, I have grown to never trust labels but it certainly looks like one to me!

What you look for is what is looking

On 5/4/2021 at 1:59 PM, Fusca said:

These look a lot like Trachycarpus fortunei seeds.

Or Chamadorea elegans 

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.