IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubea Toryallii

el-blanco

Parajubea got a haircut today.   I noticed a spear looking rather peeked.  Any of you deal with this?  Tree is 15 or so years old and massive.

Hot house ridge line is 12’ for size scale.

I got in the crown and tugged the spears coming out.  All seem intact and none gave way.  I figure a few rounds of copper fungicide should fix it.  Would hate to lose this one.

Thx!

B310F748-39BD-48AE-A7E7-259E673204A6.jpeg

BA222F28-B5DA-4151-B873-C2CE879D4D31.jpeg

E684CC81-B78E-4AC4-8A81-FB928AE928CD.jpeg

B257D1CE-940B-42CB-AEBF-932CA8A66514.jpeg

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

Back balcony looking down.

EE9C9E52-4322-4A69-A440-A19A96819C2C.jpeg

(949) 542-0999

Jeff,

Interested to hear the answers.... I have an Attalea Phalerata that has an emerging spear that looks the same. I attributed it to the major heat spell we had last year....  but Riverside and Dana Point probably had different experiences there :)

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

I had one do that. It just up and died. took about 8 months to accept it was really dead before i cut it down. I hope that isn't the case for yours. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

1 hour ago, Stevetoad said:

I had one do that. It just up and died. took about 8 months to accept it was really dead before i cut it down. I hope that isn't the case for yours. 

Let’s hope that’s not the case indeed.

I got up a little closer with some copper based fungicide.  I am hoping I caught it in time.  One of my favorite trees!  Ive had a few get bud rot over the. years and I brought a lot of them out of it with the fungicide.  Will see what happens.

(949) 542-0999

Hydrogen peroxide maybe!!??

(949) 542-0999

Can anyone share what would cause bud rot in a palm that tall? Cant be from sprinklers due to height. This is a palm that is native to long cool spells with high humidity and misty weather. So odd it struggles in California the way it does. Mine is in between 15 and 20 gallon size and I want to see it live to bear fruit.

Is that your Meryta balansae to the left of the GH?

San Fernando Valley, California

Pedro! Si, it is just coming out of its winter funk and popping nice new green leaves.  I love this tree!!  I have a few new suckers I want to air layer.  I hope to meet up soon!

• Like 1

(949) 542-0999

Curious as to why you removed healthy productive green leaves. I have several big maturing torallyi and I reluctantly had to remove a few green fronds on one of them due to them obstructing traffic and the palm didn’t like that at all. The next several new leaves came out a few feet shorter than normal before the palm finally produced normal length fronds again. I will never prune a healthy frond off of it again. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Jim,

It started off with me trimming a few leaves that were in my neighbors yard.  I stopped cutting when I noticed the issue in the crown.

I never trim this tree until leaves are turning brown.

• Upvote 1

(949) 542-0999

I have lost quite a few of these to rot, which involves the center spear showing damage first while everything else looks healthy for a long time.  Usually happens in extreme heat though.  Hope yours recovers!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Ben, Did you ever try to correct the rot or leave the tree to its own devices?  Thx

(949) 542-0999

This is my Parajubaea torallyii

Was planted as a strap leaf seedling in 2009 and has started seeding this year.

Never had any problems so far.

My  coastal Tasmanian climate is a lot like Sausalito SF cool almost frost free  and humid.

20210508_083408.jpg

20210508_083429.jpg

20210508_083457.jpg

20210508_083509.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

4 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I have lost quite a few of these to rot, which involves the center spear showing damage first while everything else looks healthy for a long time.  Usually happens in extreme heat though.  Hope yours recovers!

Ben, what are you defining as extreme heat and is it heat that goes through the night with very little cool down? Just curious. 

My Parajubaea tvt’s have had no problems so far and are my fastest palms. Would hate to see them go backwards. Our hottest day this summer was a 38.3C and no minimums above 19.5C.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

15 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Ben, what are you defining as extreme heat and is it heat that goes through the night with very little cool down? Just curious. 

My Parajubaea tvt’s have had no problems so far and are my fastest palms. Would hate to see them go backwards. Our hottest day this summer was a 38.3C and no minimums above 19.5C.

I experience many weeks here above 35 C during the day, and at least a week or two above 40 in the height of summer.  It always cools down to the 60s at night.  I figured out I was losing them when I was really drenching them with water in the heat - so I stopped doing that.  Now that I keep them dry when they aren't really growing (heat), I haven't lost any in 5+ years.  Touch wood!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

18 hours ago, el-blanco said:

Ben, Did you ever try to correct the rot or leave the tree to its own devices?  Thx

I did not - this was in the earlier days of my growing, honestly.  They never came back.  I had one that was quite large and what a PITA to take out.  Those fibers on the trunk really did a number on my chainsaw!

Ben Rogers