IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

King Palms in Hot Sunny Weather

mxcolin

We get very hot sunny dry summer days (100°+). My King Palms take the brunt of it. What’s the best way to get them through it? Extra water, which is easy to do? Should I try to put up some shade from the afternoon sun? If shade should I be shading the trunks or the fronds or both?

Thanks

Afternoon shade is always best for Kings if you are inland and experience dry heat. Lots of water will keep them growing fast during the heat but they will get sun burn. The damage is usually only cosmetic if you water frequently.

27 minutes ago, mxcolin said:

We get very hot sunny dry summer days (100°+). My King Palms take the brunt of it. What’s the best way to get them through it? Extra water, which is easy to do? Should I try to put up some shade from the afternoon sun? If shade should I be shading the trunks or the fronds or both?

Thanks

They will be fine and adjust eventually, if you keep the water up.  Mine don't burn even in 110+ degrees.  Last summer had a couple of brutal weeks, you will remember - no problem.

In addition to water, my strategy is to pack them in so they provide cover for each other.  Additionally, I recommend maxima, tuckerii, and myolensis sp.  All of these take sun better than cunninghamiana - and wind for that matter.  Purpurea definitely need shade in my part of the East Bay and the Central Valley.

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

It's the sun burn I worry about. I've tried to put in shade for afternoon heat but it's difficult to achieve where they are.

I think over time, if you keep up lots of water, they'll be fine. I have a bunch in Riverside, and even in last year's heat wave (117 high temp) they showed no damage. Definitely sunburned when young, but after a few feet of trunk they acclimated well. 

• Like 1

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

I'm glad this thread was started already, I was about to ask the same thing. I feel like i'm already offering a ton of water (in a drought year...) But if they stop burning with a little bit of age, then I feel more confident that I'm on my way there.  My trees are looking better than the first year, but I just pulled a boot off the crown shaft recently and it's already turning orange. 

I have some Purpurea that are very young. I'm going to plant them in the ground soon, but I have very little shade on the property, I'll just have to keep them well watered and close to the house, I suspect. 

27 minutes ago, BayAndroid said:

I'm glad this thread was started already, I was about to ask the same thing. I feel like i'm already offering a ton of water (in a drought year...) But if they stop burning with a little bit of age, then I feel more confident that I'm on my way there.  My trees are looking better than the first year, but I just pulled a boot off the crown shaft recently and it's already turning orange. 

I have some Purpurea that are very young. I'm going to plant them in the ground soon, but I have very little shade on the property, I'll just have to keep them well watered and close to the house, I suspect. 

I'd be cautious here.  A purpurea are the most sun sensitive species.  They must have substantial shade, at least in my part of the EB.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

This will be tough then... I am contemplating putting them on the North side of my house, but when they get tall enough, they will get plenty of sun. 

1 hour ago, BayAndroid said:

This will be tough then... I am contemplating putting them on the North side of my house, but when they get tall enough, they will get plenty of sun. 

They are slow growing, but I would wait to plant them until you have canopy from other plants.  They are not fans of our very dry heat.  Of course, this depends where you are - I am talking about my experience in the sweltering East Bay.  Lots of microclimates here - probably alright in full sun or close to it, near the coast.

Ben Rogers

6 hours ago, BayAndroid said:

I live in Redwood City and the lot I'm on is full sun, everywhere. =| 

Some sun should be fine in Redwood City. You’re cooler than here in Los Altos and I have a group of three young, just now trunking A. purpurea that get full afternoon sun and no problems at all. It’s cooler here than at Ben’s in Clayton so I can see why he’d keep his shaded. 

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens