IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can cocos survive in Lindos,Rhodes in Greece?

southathens

7 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

This winter we have just been lucky in western Europe, unlike you guys in eastern Europe. 

Ok it is getting ridiculous at this point but I am just looking at the models for Greece right now and we are talking about a new prolonged cold spell starting Friday for 4-5 days. 

Right now the center of Athens 15 days into March is currently experiencing the coldest March in its history in the past two centuries when reliable records began in the Thiseio Meteorological station of downtown Athens... 

It is definitely not something that we are used to see in March in Greece. 

Edited by Manos33

Again, look at the HNMS minimums in Kasos yesterday compared to nearby Karpathos... 3 full degrees warmer! 9°C was the minimum in Kasos which once again was the highest in the country (8.1°C was the Kasos minimum from the NOA station)

Like I have said time and time again Kasos is so remarkably resilient to the cold that seems to be almost perfectly insulated from the rest of the country when cold snaps happen

1502233494_Screenshot2022-03-15at7_59_29AM.png.90907ce5b8d530cb86a12b897eb5f06f.png

Edited by Manos33

@Manos33 I couldn’t find any official Kasos temperature averages at the time, otherwise I would have posted them alongside the Lampedusa and Malta climate averages. Surely Kasos must receive more than 10 inches of rainfall annually though!? That is ridiculously low for that region, as winter rainfalls tend to be quite high, especially around southwestern Turkey. Nearby Karpathos supposedly gets 26 inches of rainfall each year for comparison. 

Then again, Almeria in southern Spain only gets 7 inches of rainfall annually, which is the driest place in Europe to my knowledge. So I suppose Kasos could also only receive 10 inches if Karpathos acts as a rain barrier to Kasos. It’s not impossible. If it is really that dry it would definitely help a coconut through winter there, although you would need to irrigate the heck out of it during the warmer months. Perhaps Kasos is ahead of places like Lampedusa and Malta then, although the sheer dryness presents it’s own problems for coconuts.

There is an island in the south Mediterranean about 150 miles north of Alexandria Egypt at approximately 33N. Almost halfway between Cyprus and Alexandria. I think it’s too small to be inhabitable and it doesn’t appear on any maps, but I guarantee that is the mildest place in Europe. You may be able to find it by zooming in on Google maps, possibly. There is supposedly a reef around this island as well which is popular with scuba divers from Egypt and Israel if I remember correctly. I’m at work now but I will look into it later. If you stuck a coconut there it would probably be bulletproof.

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

16 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Some will tell you that Limassol in Cyprus is the warmest place in Europe (debatable whether Cyprus is even in Europe). However last night they had a frost as it went down to -0.4C at the Limassol port even. If that happened in January at 34N it would be pretty surprising, but we are in mid-March now. The new March record low of -11.1C was recorded at Troodos and the town of Prodromos had a record low of -7.6C too last night. Very cold conditions for Cyprus and Turkey. Probably more so than what Greece has experienced.

Where is the guy with the Cypriot coconut located?

Snow along the beach in Anamur, which is supposedly the warmest part of mainland Turkey. It's approximately 100 miles southeast of Antalya, where they had a low of 2.8C and a high of 4C on Sunday. Record low maxima for the date and possibly for March as well.

I know this is in the mountains of Greece, but even there such lows of nearly -30C are extreme. Even in the Scottish Highlands at 55N they didn't go much below -15C this winter. It shows just how significant this cold snap is in southeast Europe and how much cold potential exists in that area due to its proximity to Siberia and the lack of an ocean buffer. 

How many inches of snow has the Greek Islands had this winter? If you said these photos were taken in Helsinki and Scandinavia, you wouldn't think twice. These are from 13th March.

This is in central Greece over the weekend...

I think Kasos being such a small island also helps it stay so mild on cold nights. Bigger islands like Crete and Cyprus seem to get pretty cold due to having such large land surface areas that cool down rapidly on clear nights during winter. Cold air masses are more likely to stick around as well in the interior of the bigger islands, whereas small islands like Kasos have a small land area that is surrounded by sea. That is also why Malta is so mild as well on cold winter nights. For this reason, I suspect Lampedusa is the best location in the Mediterranean to grow coconuts, followed by Malta and then Kasos, purely due to how mild it is on the coldest nights there. It helps that Lampedusa is quite a bit drier as well in winter. Even then I am not convinced coconuts are longterm there.

Luqa, Malta...

862224294_Screenshot2022-03-14at17_19_13.thumb.png.9ba19901590e28fbbc5bad1e9cb52c7d.png

Lampedusa is much drier by about 10 inches or so and just as warm as Malta too. Almost certainly the best spot in the Mediterranean to try a coconut. If you put one up against a south facing wall and irrigated it heavily in summer, but no irrigation in winter. This is the 1961-1990 figures so it will be higher now.

1610253510_Screenshot2022-03-14at17_08_00.thumb.png.5a3f63453fcedecd55671b200d47029d.png

Here are the afternoon temperatures around Europe on Monday. Generally speaking it is pretty mild for everybody, except for southeast Europe (Greece, Turkey, Bulgaria etc). The heat is really starting to build in north Africa again now, which should buffer against the cold Siberian front and provide some warmth to southeast Europe later this week. Will it come in time for that Cypriot coconut, which I am assuming has been protected this winter before this event?

temperature_2022-3-14_14Z_infoclimat_fr.thumb.png.6549c74bf796868377eda15ca62aa714.png

Paparyas in Cyprus have been defoliated and some trees have even collapsed and fruits have bcome chicken food.

FB_IMG_1647338852821.jpg.99652d77f388c3cf7405d0859946d14f.jpgFB_IMG_1647338838029.jpg.2627e7b4e56be0a62ebd964ef3b2cf73.jpgFB_IMG_1647338875540.jpg.8194b5e97e31d64ece1fa9a94b6eb920.jpgFB_IMG_1647338823311.jpg.56e3ac5be88af32c7eb6c29332b6f28e.jpgFB_IMG_1647338885789.jpg.f943ff019744fa487de6ee31c88f2449.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Paparyas in Cyprus have been defoliated and some trees have even collapsed and fruits have bcome chicken food.

FB_IMG_1647338852821.jpg.99652d77f388c3cf7405d0859946d14f.jpgFB_IMG_1647338838029.jpg.2627e7b4e56be0a62ebd964ef3b2cf73.jpgFB_IMG_1647338875540.jpg.8194b5e97e31d64ece1fa9a94b6eb920.jpgFB_IMG_1647338823311.jpg.56e3ac5be88af32c7eb6c29332b6f28e.jpgFB_IMG_1647338885789.jpg.f943ff019744fa487de6ee31c88f2449.jpg

These are some sad images :(

I lost my papayas long ago , but due to whiteflies or something. But they wouldn't have pulled through the cold, that's for sure.

Can you tell where (approximately) in Cyprus this happened and at what temperature? I'm curious to learn about their hardiness/climate needs

12 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

The difference is the south coast of Spain may get this type of event once every 25-50 years or so when a big arctic blast manages to punch through Europe. Whereas snow events like this seem to happen every 3-4 years on the Greek islands when a 'beast from the east' event travels across from the Siberian arctic. I suspect due to the level of technology and social media, everything is getting recorded now. When it snows on a Greek island, videos appear on Twitter immediately and it gets shown on the news. Everyone has a video phone and social media accounts. That wouldn't have happened 10-20 years ago.

I get your point and you're right about documentation of events. And it's not like snow or cold front have never happened before...

5 hours ago, Manos33 said:

Ok it is getting ridiculous at this point but I am just looking at the models for Greece right now and we are talking about a new prolonged cold spell starting Friday for 4-5 days. 

Right now the center of Athens 15 days into March is currently experiencing the coldest March in its history in the past two centuries when reliable records began in the Thiseio Meteorological station of downtown Athens... 

It is definitely not something that we are used to see in March in Greece. 

...however there's this first of all.
Secondly, this January in Giza (Egypt) the temperature dropped to minus degrees causing local mango farmers to lose all their yield. (This was posted in a facebook group, with photos showing the damaged mango trees)
Thirdly, last April (I think??) in Saudi Arabia (think it was Riyadh) the temperature dropped by 15C and graupel fell onto the desert (very uncommon for this month).

The list goes on with various recent incidents; I can't remember all of them, but anyway.

To me, something "feels" different in the last winters. Then again I was born in 1995 so I don't have much experience. Could be I'm stressing over nothing, but could be we're headed for a big change. There are scientists supporting the extreme events (cold fronts being one of them) will intensify, which is bad news for anyone growing cold-susceptible fruit.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how the next years will turn out

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Manos33 said:

This is obvious from the absolute minimums as well in Kasos with an all time low of 3°C from the HNMS station and the second lowest again from the HNMS station at 4.6°C ( 2.7 °C and 4.2°C respective values from the NOA station in Kasos) !!!

When was the HNMS station placed in Kasos? It's from the 80-90s or older? The NOA one is from 2010 right?

I ask this because these "all time lows" are relatively young, at least the NOA ones date just back to 2010 but what about the HNMS/EMY ones? 

Also Manos, since you studied a lot about Greece, do you know the date when Rhodes registered its all time January low record of -4.0°C ? It says 1961-1990 but I wasn't able to find the exact date. 

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

2 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Woah... do you know where that was and how cold it went in that place? 

I know Cyprus has also banana crops, if even Limassol (which is supposedly the warmest place in Cyprus) went under -0°C how are looking the banana fields? If you find anything please post it too, I'm also interested to know what happened there. 

I hope @Stelios comes soon to give us additional feedback. 

• Upvote 1

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

While it only went down to -0.4C at the port in Limassol, statistically one of the warmest places in Europe, go just a mile inland and temperatures were widely into the -1C to - 2C region, even at lowish elevations. I saw some -3C readings just inland from Limassol at about 200-300 meters. 

Here is snow in Nicosia…

This is probably further inland, but still pretty crazy for mid-March…

Here is the ECMWF model up until the 21st. It looks like the whole of Southern Europe and North Africa is going to be way below average over the weekend and into next week, particularly the Anatolia region. Possible risk of frost for Athens and other coastal locations, depending how much cloud cover they get.

49D7E14B-B9A4-487A-868F-1F6F5D02357B.png.55b45bedb2cbddd417d192567de1428f.png

GFS model seems to agree. Here is the run up until the 22nd showing the cold really stuck in place. Also looks like an SSW (sudden stratospheric warming event) as well over the Greenland and Scandinavian Arctic. That may push cold even further south. 

8375A676-3447-48DD-984A-DB5149B67554.png.014caffc08bccb1d1a514e0ca161e5f4.png

I have also attached the run up until 25th March, showing similar stubborn conditions. It’s almost like the cold air mass is locked in place in southwest Europe. It will have to run out at some point though, given the amount of warming in the Arctic. The polar vortex is already nearly dead, several weeks earlier than normal, which could explain the disturbance of cold Siberian/Arctic air coming southeast into Europe, but it also means it will run obviously run out soon. There won’t be much cold left to transport into mainland Europe. It’s like Greece and Turkey are getting the last of it.

06B43E98-5BB2-44F4-B4FF-A5A0F3ABE814.png.e6d491c153df3635e2cfcf39f7b14dad.png

@Victor G. Next winter-spring you will be back to normal again and it will be much warmer. However you will probably have another event similar to this one at some point in the next 5-10 years. Southern Spain is probably overdue a cold blast now as well, and it may get it next winter, along with Western Europe in general.

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 1

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

4 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

@Manos33 I couldn’t find any official Kasos temperature averages at the time, otherwise I would have posted them alongside the Lampedusa and Malta climate averages. Surely Kasos must receive more than 10 inches of rainfall annually though!? That is ridiculously low for that region, as winter rainfalls tend to be quite high,

Take a closer look on Kasos through Google Earth. Its an arid rock. Probably Karpathos shields it very well. A kind of rain shadow the way I understand it. It is indeed the second driest station in Greece currently out of a network of almost 500 meteorological stations that belong to the National Observatory of Athens...

2 hours ago, Alicante said:

When was the HNMS station placed in Kasos? It's from the 80-90s or older? The NOA one is from 2010 right?

I ask this because these "all time lows" are relatively young, at least the NOA ones date just back to 2010 but what about the HNMS/EMY ones? 

Also Manos, since you studied a lot about Greece, do you know the date when Rhodes registered its all time January low record of -4.0°C ? It says 1961-1990 but I wasn't able to find the exact date. 

The station from HNMS in Kasos is on the island from 1989. The lowest ever recorded temperature between 1989 and January 2022 was an amazing 4.6C according to HNMS and as of January 2022 the new absolute minimum is 3C 

Here some more information in Greek

https://www.meteoclub.gr/themata/egkyklopaideia/perioxes-me-tous-hpioterous-xeimones-stin-ellada

I don't remember right now when the record took place in Rhodes but it was in the old airport which is an inland location and not the actual city of Rhodes. I remember I have it somewhere on my notes so once I find it i ll post it 

By the way, the coast just above Tel Aviv (Marina Herzlia) registered 6C this morning.
Link to WS here: https://holfuy.com/en/weather/1067

Pretty impresive, since the record for Tel Aviv's west coast (which is only a few kilometres further south) has an all-time record of 7.2C

Καταγραφή.PNG

5 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Perhaps Kasos is ahead of places like Lampedusa and Malta then, although the sheer dryness presents it’s own problems for coconuts.

I think too it is much ahead of Malta and its a bit ahead of Lampedusa. I have also brought up before the dryness of Kasos as a potential problem for cocos but with good summer irrigation I believe this problem can be solved. Now the only thing we have to do is to find a willing winter inhabitant of Kasos who will actually consider growing cocos over there... 

Generally the whole SE Dodecanese has the mildest winters in Greece. Just take a look at the absolute minimums in neighbouring Karpathos. 

According to Karpathos HNMS station for the entire period between 1971 and today the absolute minimum is +2.2C which happened twice. First time was in 1976 and the next time in 2004.  Karpathos was again close to its all time record in January 2022 with 3.1C. This goes to show how exceptionally cold for the SE Dodecanese 2022 has been. Most importantly Kasos HNMS for the first time from 1989 went below +4.6C this year !!!

image.png.0ac019690ff441b912cf6df5b24bbb3b.png

Edited by Manos33

3 hours ago, Alicante said:

I know Cyprus has also banana crops, if even Limassol (which is supposedly the warmest place in Cyprus) went under -0°C how are looking the banana fields? If you find anything please post it too, I'm also interested to know what happened there. 

4 hours ago, Victor G. said:

These are some sad images :(

I lost my papayas long ago , but due to whiteflies or something. But they wouldn't have pulled through the cold, that's for sure.

Can you tell where (approximately) in Cyprus this happened and at what temperature? I'm curious to learn about their hardiness/climate needs

The landowner reported that his farm is in the coastal area (no more details) and the absolute minimum this year had been so far + 4 C. He reckons further that only reason for this extensive damage had been the hail precipitation, which occured 5 times. He has reported further that last year the absolute minimum had been even lower (3.2 C) but all fruiting trees had remained ok and he had harvested even jackfruits.  Imo it was either the hail indeed or an unusual average minimum or both the culprit for current damage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

The landowner reported that his farm is in the coastal area (no more details) and the absolute minimum this year had been so far + 4 C. He reckons further that only reason for this extensive damage had been the hail precipitation, which occured 5 times. He has reported further that last year the absolute minimum had been even lower (3.2 C) but all fruiting trees had remained ok and he had harvested even jackfruits.  Imo it was either the hail indeed or an unusual average minimum or both the culprit for current damage.

I'm given to understand that generally tropical fruits can handle the night/morning colds, provided the temperatures will bounce up a lot in the morning.

Take Florida for example. They grow all kinds of tropical fruits, yet many regions (expect the deep south) get one or two good freezes every winter (0C, even -1C or -2C). The same day however the temps go back up to 20-25C so the plants shake off the cold (with some damage of course occasionally).

It's a shame really that we lack this winter heat. We have places that get absolute minimums higher than Miami (on many years) but as long as our max temps are near 10C, it won't help the cause,

Thanks for replying :D

5 hours ago, Victor G. said:

To me, something "feels" different in the last winters.

For me 2022 is probably the most exceptional year it terms of cold snaps in the history of the country for the following reasons:

- Huge snowfalls in Athens in January 2022

- 2 cold snaps in March

- Some coastal areas of Rhodes saw snow for the first time in their recorded history in January 2022.

- Kasos dropped below 4C for the first time in its recorded history in Jan 2022.

Edited by Manos33
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alicante said:

Paphos has the most mild climate on the island. Limassol has hotter summers than Paphos and colder winter nights espacially in a winter like this year. Limassol is closer to the highest peaks of Troodos mountains (this winter the snowfall was in lower elevation too) and the wind from the north brings all the cold down to Limassol. Paphos town is further away from these mountains and has more mild climate.  Also the humidity is usually higher here. That's why the area here has a big production of bananas (the banana plantations are mostly north from the town centre, from Chlorakas up to Pegeia) and other tropical fruits. The production this winter is the same like every year. A friend of my brother-in-law that he's commercially growing bananas, gave us these last week (he often brings us).

20220315_112349.thumb.jpg.decaaacab3e44e390fd1630c11bc3109.jpg

I live in the suburbs south of Paphos, in Geroskipou. I'm about 3km inland and the elevation is about 70 meters from sea level. Here the nights are a bit warmer than the sea level where the meteo station is located at Paphos airport. I guess the cold air sinks down to the coast. So far my lowest night this winter was 6C. Last night was 7C and the previous 2 nights 6C. This March is unusually cold.

I grew many papayas from seeds this summer for a friend. I still have around 15 remain. They are still sensitive to cold so I kept them out of the wind but out in the yard and in the rain. The rainfall seems to keep them going. I only lost 2. Here is a couple of them. 

20220315_172716.thumb.jpg.f286c60dd24c1bd3d47a9122e078bd9c.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stelios said:

I live in the suburbs south of Paphos, in Geroskipou. I'm about 3km inland and the elevation is about 70 meters from sea level. Here the nights are a bit warmer than the sea level where the meteo station is located at Paphos airport. I guess the cold air sinks down to the coast. So far my lowest night this winter was 6C. Last night was 7C and the previous 2 nights 6C. This March is unusually cold.

Hello Stelios, it is unlikely that lows would be higher as you move away from the coasts in the winter or early spring so it might be a good idea to check the T equipment you use for any bias. Last night the WMO station of Paphos Airport registered a low of 2.4C, Akrotiri was down to 2.2C and Larnaca was 1.5C. Downtown Nicosia was 1.8C from the NOA station. I am pretty confident that these values must be near record breaking for March in coastal areas of Cyprus. 

1277893340_Screenshot2022-03-15at11_02_57PM.thumb.png.5d50db092ff80f1fe274e75c5798d691.png

On 3/14/2022 at 7:34 PM, UK_Palms said:

Lampedusa is much drier by about 10 inches or so and just as warm as Malta too. Almost certainly the best spot in the Mediterranean to try a coconut. If you put one up against a south facing wall and irrigated it heavily in summer, but no irrigation in winter. This is the 1961-1990 figures so it will be higher now.

1610253510_Screenshot2022-03-14at17_08_00.thumb.png.5a3f63453fcedecd55671b200d47029d.png

Also just a correction on Lampedusa's data since the  English wiki has the older stats. The absolute minimum temperature according to the Italian wiki is -0.4C in Lampedusa and also remarkably in 2014 snow settled on the ground on the entire island and the airport itself.  Snow also fell in Lampedusa in 1913, 1915, 1942 and 1956.  For comparison, on the other hand we do not have any official report of snowfall in Kasos Airport from 1989 when the HNMS station began its operation and before that there is no reliable report from locals of snowfall in coastal Kasos and on top of that Ts have never dropped below 3C  on the island from 1989 ( 2.7C from the NOA station). However, higher elevations in Kasos over 300m altitude of course have seen snowfalls in the past. 

Below we can see the most recent data from Lampedusa. The coldest month of the year has an average temperature of 14.1C in Lampedusa versus 13.8C in Kasos but these data are for slightly different reporting periods. In any case, both islands are pretty close in terms of winter means. 

191872658_Screenshot2022-03-16at2_31_13AM.thumb.png.9fc02cbf781260eef8bd5b6d3c0f156f.png

Here some photos from the snowfall in Lampedusa during the 2014 event

https://www.meteoweb.eu/2014/12/eccezionale-nevicata-sullisola-lampedusa-aeroporto-imbiancato-foto/371331/

1136685482_Screenshot2022-03-16at2_40_16AM.png.f5dfa0a3adc6de95004b541af738809b.png2097407116_Screenshot2022-03-16at2_40_07AM.png.a6a561665d81b33d6a64b995df21c255.png

Edited by Manos33
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Manos33 said:

Hello Stelios, it is unlikely that lows would be higher as you move away from the coasts in the winter or early spring so it might be a good idea to check the T equipment you use for any bias. Last night the WMO station of Paphos Airport registered a low of 2.4C, Akrotiri was down to 2.2C and Larnaca was 1.5C. Downtown Nicosia was 1.8C from the NOA station. I am pretty confident that these values must be near record breaking for March in coastal areas of Cyprus. 

1277893340_Screenshot2022-03-15at11_02_57PM.thumb.png.5d50db092ff80f1fe274e75c5798d691.png

Hi Mano. So far from my experience and observations, when I mesure the temp here in my yard is always higher than the airport meteo station. Just this morning wunderground is showing 4C at Paphos airport at 6:30am. I checked the thermometer in different parts of the yard at 5:30am and the temp was already 8C. I believe I know my climate better so I think there is always some better microclimate than only to rely on a meteo station in an area. The same can apply in Greece, in Spain and so on. I can not say I know the climate better that somebody that actually lives in an other area just by looking only the weather forecast on the internet. 

I do think that this small elevation that I have in my place makes a difference and that the cold sinks down to the lower parts of the coast. The banana plantations are mostly in the north parts of the town and a bit more inland. They don't grow any at the coast near the airport. It's always colder there. You can also see the queens that many beach hotels planted right on the coast are not happy like the ones grow more inland.

That's why I say when you live in a place you get to know the microclimates better. There is no point to get in any discussions about climate as if is a competition. I'm not gonna try to impress somebody about my climate which can be simillar with many other mediterranean climates. It is what it is and I only try to share my experience with some of my plants.

3 hours ago, Stelios said:

Hi Mano. So far from my experience and observations, when I mesure the temp here in my yard is always higher than the airport meteo station. Just this morning wunderground is showing 4C at Paphos airport at 6:30am. I checked the thermometer in different parts of the yard at 5:30am and the temp was already 8C. I believe I know my climate better so I think there is always some better microclimate than only to rely on a meteo station in an area. The same can apply in Greece, in Spain and so on. I can not say I know the climate better that somebody that actually lives in an other area just by looking only the weather forecast on the internet. 

I do think that this small elevation that I have in my place makes a difference and that the cold sinks down to the lower parts of the coast. The banana plantations are mostly in the north parts of the town and a bit more inland. They don't grow any at the coast near the airport. It's always colder there. You can also see the queens that many beach hotels planted right on the coast are not happy like the ones grow more inland.

That's why I say when you live in a place you get to know the microclimates better. There is no point to get in any discussions about climate as if is a competition. I'm not gonna try to impress somebody about my climate which can be simillar with many other mediterranean climates. It is what it is and I only try to share my experience with some of my plants.

Γειά σου Στέλιο. Σου γράφω στα Ελληνικά ώστε να αποφευχθεί οποιαδήποτε παρεξήγηση. Είναι προφανές οτι γνωρίζεις το μικρόκλιμα της περιοχής σου καλύτερα από τον οποιοδήποτε. Η θερμοκρασιακή διαφορά που αναφέρεις είναι της τάξεως των 6 περίπου βαθμών την ημέρα που το Αεροδρόμιο της Πάφου κατέγραψε 2.4C. Από την μακρά μου εμπειρία στην αξιοπιστία των μετεωρολογικών παρατηρήσεων είναι εξαιρετικά αμφίβολο οτι μια περιοχή πιο μακριά από τις ακτές οπουδήποτε στην Ευρώπη και στη Μεσόγειο θα έχει τέτοιες διαφορές ειδικά τον χειμώνα ή την άνοιξη. 

Ένας λόγος που θα μπορούσα να σκεφτώ οτι κάτι τέτοιο θα ήταν δυνατό τον χειμώνα, κατά την διάρκεια μάλιστα χιονιά είναι είτε αν μιλάμε για κάποιο εξαιρετικά σπάνιο φαινόμενο αστικής θερμονησίδας που δεν είμαι σίγουρος οτι θα μπορούσαμε να συναντήσουμε σε τέτοιο βαθμό ακόμα και στις μεγαλύτερες μετροπόλεις του κόσμου (Τόκιο ή Mexico City πχ) πόσο μάλλον για μια μικρή επαρχιακή πόλη της Κύπρου όπου ναι μεν το  UHI είναι εφικτό αλλά σχεδόν neglibable για το μέγεθος της Πάφου. 

Ο πιο πειστικός λόγος που θα μπορούσε κάτι τέτοιο να συμβεί είναι εαν βρίσκεσαι σε μια περιοχή η οποία είναι γνωστή για θερμούς καταβατικούς ανέμους κάτι που όμως είναι εξαιρετικά σπάνιο να συμβεί το χειμώνα ακόμα και στις πιο γνωστές περιοχές του κόσμου που φοενιάζουν αντίστοιχα. Στην Ελλάδα δε θυμάμαι να το έχουμε δει ποτέ ακόμα και στο Θριάσιο πεδίο στην περιοχή της Ελευσίνας ή στις Βόρειες ακτές της Κρήτης κατά τη διάρκεια χιονιά. Μιλάμε για περιοχές με εξαιρετικά πολύπλοκη γεωμορφολογία και τεράστιους ορεινούς όγκους δίπλα τους φημισμένες σε ολόκληρη την Ευρώπη για το δυναμικό φοένιασμα τους. Κάτι τέτοιο θα ήταν δυνατό μόνο κατα τη διάρκεια θερμής εισβολής.

Αν δεν βρίσκεσαι λοιπόν δίπλα από κάποιο θεόρατο ορεινό όγκο που θα σου επιτρέψει θερμό καταβατικό άνεμο (πως αλήθεια κατά τη διάρκεια χιονιά?) τότε είναι πιθανόν οτι το θερμόμετρο σου είναι biased ή κάνεις κάποιο λάθος στη διαδικασία της σωστής θερμομέτρησης. Οι σταθμοί στο wunderground που αναφέρεις εφόσον δεν είναι fan aspirated σταθμοί είναι εξαιρετικά αναξιόπιστοι και συνήθως συνοδεύονται από λάθη τοποθέτησης με αποτέλεσμα να δίνουν απίστευτα biased θερμοκρασίες. Πόσο μάλλον ένα απλό θερμόμετρο (αλήθεια τι τύπο θερμόμετρου έχεις?) το οποίο εαν το βάλεις σε λάθος σημείο θα σου δώσει τρελές τιμές. 

Το golden standard στη σωστή θερμομέτρηση είναι είτε ένας αυτοσχέδιος Stevenson Screen κλωβός ή ένα αξιόπιστος fan aspirated σταθμός (πχ Davis που είναι πανάκριβοι). Όλα αυτά μακριά από κάποια πηγή θερμότητας, ιδανικά σε γρασίδι και περίπου στα 2 μέτρα από το έδαφος. 

Ελπίζω να βοήθησα κάπως.

Once again Greece's highest minimum yesterday was in Kasos HNMS station with 10.6C (10.4C in the NOA station).  Again 2C+ higher than neighbouring Karpathos

251909226_Screenshot2022-03-16at12_30_52PM.thumb.png.94a646953e6cb3ff4caa72c34e45f89a.png

Here is how today is looking so far in Greece's minimums from the NOA stations. Half day through Kasos clearly leads once again for today as well. 

554510431_Screenshot2022-03-16at12_49_55PM.png.bf144ae15f921763669775a88cfbb53c.png

Edited by Manos33
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Manos33 said:

Γειά σου Στέλιο. Σου γράφω στα Ελληνικά ώστε να αποφευχθεί οποιαδήποτε παρεξήγηση. Είναι προφανές οτι γνωρίζεις το μικρόκλιμα της περιοχής σου καλύτερα από τον οποιοδήποτε. Η θερμοκρασιακή διαφορά που αναφέρεις είναι της τάξεως των 6 περίπου βαθμών την ημέρα που το Αεροδρόμιο της Πάφου κατέγραψε 2.4C. Από την μακρά μου εμπειρία στην αξιοπιστία των μετεωρολογικών παρατηρήσεων είναι εξαιρετικά αμφίβολο οτι μια περιοχή πιο μακριά από τις ακτές οπουδήποτε στην Ευρώπη και στη Μεσόγειο θα έχει τέτοιες διαφορές ειδικά τον χειμώνα ή την άνοιξη. 

Ένας λόγος που θα μπορούσα να σκεφτώ οτι κάτι τέτοιο θα ήταν δυνατό τον χειμώνα, κατά την διάρκεια μάλιστα χιονιά είναι είτε αν μιλάμε για κάποιο εξαιρετικά σπάνιο φαινόμενο αστικής θερμονησίδας που δεν είμαι σίγουρος οτι θα μπορούσαμε να συναντήσουμε σε τέτοιο βαθμό ακόμα και στις μεγαλύτερες μετροπόλεις του κόσμου (Τόκιο ή Mexico City πχ) πόσο μάλλον για μια μικρή επαρχιακή πόλη της Κύπρου όπου ναι μεν το  UHI είναι εφικτό αλλά σχεδόν neglibable για το μέγεθος της Πάφου. 

Ο πιο πειστικός λόγος που θα μπορούσε κάτι τέτοιο να συμβεί είναι εαν βρίσκεσαι σε μια περιοχή η οποία είναι γνωστή για θερμούς καταβατικούς ανέμους κάτι που όμως είναι εξαιρετικά σπάνιο να συμβεί το χειμώνα ακόμα και στις πιο γνωστές περιοχές του κόσμου που φοενιάζουν αντίστοιχα. Στην Ελλάδα δε θυμάμαι να το έχουμε δει ποτέ ακόμα και στο Θριάσιο πεδίο στην περιοχή της Ελευσίνας ή στις Βόρειες ακτές της Κρήτης κατά τη διάρκεια χιονιά. Μιλάμε για περιοχές με εξαιρετικά πολύπλοκη γεωμορφολογία και τεράστιους ορεινούς όγκους δίπλα τους φημισμένες σε ολόκληρη την Ευρώπη για το δυναμικό φοένιασμα τους. Κάτι τέτοιο θα ήταν δυνατό μόνο κατα τη διάρκεια θερμής εισβολής.

Αν δεν βρίσκεσαι λοιπόν δίπλα από κάποιο θεόρατο ορεινό όγκο που θα σου επιτρέψει θερμό καταβατικό άνεμο (πως αλήθεια κατά τη διάρκεια χιονιά?) τότε είναι πιθανόν οτι το θερμόμετρο σου είναι biased ή κάνεις κάποιο λάθος στη διαδικασία της σωστής θερμομέτρησης. Οι σταθμοί στο wunderground που αναφέρεις εφόσον δεν είναι fan aspirated σταθμοί είναι εξαιρετικά αναξιόπιστοι και συνήθως συνοδεύονται από λάθη τοποθέτησης με αποτέλεσμα να δίνουν απίστευτα biased θερμοκρασίες. Πόσο μάλλον ένα απλό θερμόμετρο (αλήθεια τι τύπο θερμόμετρου έχεις?) το οποίο εαν το βάλεις σε λάθος σημείο θα σου δώσει τρελές τιμές. 

Το golden standard στη σωστή θερμομέτρηση είναι είτε ένας αυτοσχέδιος Stevenson Screen κλωβός ή ένα αξιόπιστος fan aspirated σταθμός (πχ Davis που είναι πανάκριβοι). Όλα αυτά μακριά από κάποια πηγή θερμότητας, ιδανικά σε γρασίδι και περίπου στα 2 μέτρα από το έδαφος. 

Ελπίζω να βοήθησα κάπως.

Γεία σου Μάνο. Δεν μου αρέσει να έρχομαι σε αντιπαράθεση για το κλίμα. Δεν υπάρχει λόγος. Εγώ βλέπω αυτό που βλέπω και έχω τις δικές μου μετρήσεις και συμπεράσματα με βάση τι μπορώ να φυτέψω εδώ και τι όχι. Τα θερμόμετρα που έχω χρησιμοποιήσει κατά καιρούς μετρούν τη θερμοκρασία αρκετά σωστά. Όπως έχω πει δεν είναι σκοπός να ανταγωνιστώ με κάποιον για θέματα κλίματος. Ούτε θα αμφισβητήσω αν η Κάσος ή η Μάλτα έχουν πιο ψηλές θερμοκρασίες από μένα. Εγώ απλά παίρνω πληροφορίες για να βελτιώσω τον κήπο μου και να δώσω τη δική μου εμπειρία από τον κήπο μου.

Δεν είμαι ειδικός και δεν θα προσπαθήσω να σε πείσω για το αντίθετο οπότε καλύτερα θα το αφήσω μέχρι εδώ. Ευχαριστώ.

@Stelios@Manos33Παδιά δεν νομίζω ότι υπάρχει καν αντιπαράθεση, ούτε ανταγωνισμός κλίματος. Σας έχω δει και τους δύο καιρό τώρα και είστε καλοπροαίρετοι και ευγενικοί.
Νομίζω ότι ο Μάνος προσπαθεί να «λύσει» το μυστήριο της μεγάλης αντίθεσης θερμοκρασίας, πράγμα που μου κίνησε κι εμένα το ενδιαφέρον.

Με βάση τη δική μου εμπειρία, όντως όσο πιο κοντά στη θάλασσα είσαι, τόσο πιο ήπιες θερμοκρασίες έχεις. Ωστόσο δεν αποκλείω την περίπτωση Στέλιο, να έχεις ένα απίστευτο μικροκλίμα και γιαυτό να έχεις τέτοια διαφορά θερμοκρασίας. Ας μην ξεχνάμε πως παίζουν ρόλο και οι άνεμοι, οι οποίοι ακολουθούν τη μορφολογία του εδάφους. Μπορεί λοιπόν το λιμάνι της Πάφου ή το αεροδρόμιο να επηρεάζονται από κάποιον ψυχρό άνεμο που δεν φτάνει το δικό σου σπίτι, ευνοώντας έτσι το μικροκλίμα σου.

Από την άλλη, καταλαβαίνω και το Μάνο σχετικά με την ακρίβεια μη-επαγγελματικά τοποθετημένων σταθμών, διότι την έχω πατήσει προσωπικά:
Πέρσι είχα ένα θερμόμετρο εξωτερικό, αλλά πάνω σε έναν τοίχο, προστατευμένο από ανέμους. Ήμουν πάντα 4-5 βαθμούς πάνω από τους γύρω σταθμούς (γελοίο πράγμα).
Φέτος έχω έναν ημι-επιγγελματικό σταθμό ας πούμε (τον πήρα  160 ευρώ) και βλέπω ότι είμαι 2-3 (καμία φορά και 1 μόνο) βαθμό πάνω από τους άλλους.
Ναι, σίγουρα, έχω ένα καλό μικροκλίμα, άλλα όχι και 4 βαθμούς πάνω. Η τοποθεσία του σταθμού μπορεί να κάνει θαύματα.
Γιαυτό κι εγώ είμαι σκεπτικός όταν μου λέει κάποιος για μεγάλες θερμοκρασιακές διαφορές.

Πάντως η όλη κουβέντα γίνεται με θετικό κλίμα, δεν υπάρχει καμία παρεξήγηση. Τουλάχιστον εγώ έτσι το βλέπω σαν τρίτος.

If any non-Greek is still following at this point, sorry for the greek spam, but Greeks gotta greek :P (hope it will continue in English again soon!)

Edited by Victor G.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stelios said:

Γεία σου Μάνο. Δεν μου αρέσει να έρχομαι σε αντιπαράθεση για το κλίμα. Δεν υπάρχει λόγος. Εγώ βλέπω αυτό που βλέπω και έχω τις δικές μου μετρήσεις και συμπεράσματα με βάση τι μπορώ να φυτέψω εδώ και τι όχι. Τα θερμόμετρα που έχω χρησιμοποιήσει κατά καιρούς μετρούν τη θερμοκρασία αρκετά σωστά. Όπως έχω πει δεν είναι σκοπός να ανταγωνιστώ με κάποιον για θέματα κλίματος. Ούτε θα αμφισβητήσω αν η Κάσος ή η Μάλτα έχουν πιο ψηλές θερμοκρασίες από μένα. Εγώ απλά παίρνω πληροφορίες για να βελτιώσω τον κήπο μου και να δώσω τη δική μου εμπειρία από τον κήπο μου.

Δεν είμαι ειδικός και δεν θα προσπαθήσω να σε πείσω για το αντίθετο οπότε καλύτερα θα το αφήσω μέχρι εδώ. Ευχαριστώ.

Ναι, τότε προφανώς έγινε κάποια παρεξήγηση διοτί πραγματικά δεν θα μου έκανε καμία εντύπωση εαν η Πάφος ή οποιοδήποτε μέρος της παραλιακής Κύπρου είναι ηπιότερο της Κάσου.  Ο σκοπός του πόστ μου δεν ήταν για να ''ανταγωνιστώ'' την Κύπρο και πραγματικά δεν με αφορά κάτι τέτοιο ούτε αυτή είναι η αντίληψη μου ειδικά απέναντι σε έναν άνθρωπο όπως εσύ που έχω καταλάβει οτι δεν ασχολείσαι με την πολεμική του κλίματος. Κοίτα, ''πολεμική κλίματος'' μπορεί όντως να καταλήξει η συζήτηση με κάποιον που καταλαβαίνω κακοπροαίρετα πάει να αμφισβητήσει καλά τεκμηριωμένα επιστημονικά δεδομένα.

Εμένα ο σκοπός μου σε περίπτωση που δεν σου έγινε προφανής ήταν καθαρά να σου δανείσω την εμπειρία μου σε ότι αφορά τη σωστή θερμομέτρηση. Ασχολούμαι πάνω από 15 χρόνια με τη στατιστική της μετεωρολογίας και την αξιοπιστία μετρήσεων αλλά πραγματικά fine σε περίπτωση που θεωρείς οτι οι μετρήσεις σου είναι ακριβείς. Δεν πρόκειται να μπω σε αντιπαράθεση για κάτι τέτοιο. 

32 minutes ago, Victor G. said:

Φέτος έχω έναν ημι-επιγγελματικό σταθμό ας πούμε (τον πήρα  160 ευρώ) και βλέπω ότι είμαι 2-3 (καμία φορά και 1 μόνο) βαθμό πάνω από τους άλλους.
Ναι, σίγουρα, έχω ένα καλό μικροκλίμα, άλλα όχι και 4 βαθμούς πάνω. Η τοποθεσία του σταθμού μπορεί να κάνει θαύματα.
Γιαυτό κι εγώ είμαι σκεπτικός όταν μου λέει κάποιος για μεγάλες θερμοκρασιακές διαφορές.

Εγώ να δεις τι κουλά έχω δει κατά καιρούς από θερμόμετρα μου. Θυμάμαι στις αρχές που άρχισα να ασχολούμαι με τους μετεωρολογικούς σταθμούς ήμουν πεπεισμένος οτι 2-3 σταθμοί μου έγραφαν τέλειες τιμές μέχρι που προσγειώθηκα απότομα όταν είδα οτι έδιναν συστηματικά 2-3-4 βαθμούς πάνω. Γι' αυτό καταλαβαίνω τον Στέλιο σε αυτό που λεει, ειδικά αν δεν έχει κάτσει να ασχοληθεί ποτέ με την ακρίβεια των θερμομετρήσεων, που οκ ο άνθρωπος ενδιαφέρεται άμεσα για τις καλλιέργειες του. Άσε εμένα (και μάλλον από οτι καταλαβαίνω και εσένα) που είμαστε ψείρες με την ακρίβεια των μετρήσεων.  Προσωπικά ναι γίνομαι εξαιρετικά pedantic με τις θερμομετρήσεις διότι έχω κάψει χιλιάδες ώρες για να βγάλω αξιόπιστες μετρήσεις χεχε

2 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

Θυμάμαι στις αρχές που άρχισα να ασχολούμαι με τους μετεωρολογικούς σταθμούς ήμουν πεπεισμένος οτι 2-3 σταθμοί μου έγραφαν τέλειες τιμές μέχρι που προσγειώθηκα απότομα όταν είδα οτι έδιναν συστηματικά 2-3-4 βαθμούς πάνω.

Γιατί όμως; Τα είχες απάνω ή κοντά σε μπετό; (Ρωτάω γιατί ενδιαφέρομαι να μάθω κι εγώ)

Η άποψή μου είναι ότι στη Ελλάδα είμαστε αρκετά πίσω σε ό,τι αφορά την κλιματική έρευνα. Μάλλον λόγω έλλειψης ενδιαφέροντος. Έχω προσπαθήσει πολύ να βρω χάρτες, έρευνες, κλπ. σχετικά με τις ζώνες ανθεκτικότητας φυτών (PH) ας πούμε, αλλά η μόνη που υπάρχει είναι αυτή: http://hardiness.inforest.gr/
Ίσως είναι αξιόπιστη, δε λέω, αλλά σίγουρα δεν περιλαμβάνει ορισμένα μικροκλίματα (αναμενόμενο βέβαια γιατί δεν θα στα δώσει κανένας μαθηματικός τύπος, πρέπει να τα εξερευνήσεις μόνος σου). Την Κάσο πάντως, την έχει στο 10b, πράγμα που είναι λάθος.

Από την άλλη υπάρχει φοβερή αδιαφορία από τον κόσμο (ξέρω, το έχω πει πολλές φορές). Μόλις χθες ρώτησα σε μια ομάδα του φέισμπουκ αν καλλιεργεί κανείς τροπικά φυτά και που βρίσκονται, για να ξέρω τη δυναμική ενός τόπου. Μία απάντηση, του τύπου «δεν θα δεις προκοπή στην Ελλάδα».
'Αλλες φορές που έχω ρωτήσει για εμπειρίες μάνγκο, παπάγιας, κ.ά. πήρα τις ίδιες απαντήσεις, ότι μπορώ να τα ξεχάσω. Πού και πού όμως, ανεβάζει κάποιος το τροπικό του φυτό. (Κάποιος είχε παπάγια στην Αττική, κοντά σε Άλιμο/Βουλιαγμένη και πήρε και καρπούς)

Αυτά με έχουν κάνει ψείρα, θέλω να καταλάβω ακριβώς το δυναμικό των Δικαστικών (εκεί που είναι το σπίτι μας) ώστε να ξέρω το μπορώ να φυτέψω και τι όχι. Εντάξει υπάρχει και το γενικό ενδιαφέρον μέσα σε αυτά, όχι μόνο του τόπου μου δηλαδή

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Victor G. said:

Γιατί όμως; Τα είχες απάνω ή κοντά σε μπετό; (Ρωτάω γιατί ενδιαφέρομαι να μάθω κι εγώ)

Η άποψή μου είναι ότι στη Ελλάδα είμαστε αρκετά πίσω σε ό,τι αφορά την κλιματική έρευνα. Μάλλον λόγω έλλειψης ενδιαφέροντος. Έχω προσπαθήσει πολύ να βρω χάρτες, έρευνες, κλπ. σχετικά με τις ζώνες ανθεκτικότητας φυτών (PH) ας πούμε, αλλά η μόνη που υπάρχει είναι αυτή: http://hardiness.inforest.gr/
Ίσως είναι αξιόπιστη, δε λέω, αλλά σίγουρα δεν περιλαμβάνει ορισμένα μικροκλίματα (αναμενόμενο βέβαια γιατί δεν θα στα δώσει κανένας μαθηματικός τύπος, πρέπει να τα εξερευνήσεις μόνος σου). Την Κάσο πάντως, την έχει στο 10b, πράγμα που είναι λάθος.

Από την άλλη υπάρχει φοβερή αδιαφορία από τον κόσμο (ξέρω, το έχω πει πολλές φορές). Μόλις χθες ρώτησα σε μια ομάδα του φέισμπουκ αν καλλιεργεί κανείς τροπικά φυτά και που βρίσκονται, για να ξέρω τη δυναμική ενός τόπου. Μία απάντηση, του τύπου «δεν θα δεις προκοπή στην Ελλάδα».
'Αλλες φορές που έχω ρωτήσει για εμπειρίες μάνγκο, παπάγιας, κ.ά. πήρα τις ίδιες απαντήσεις, ότι μπορώ να τα ξεχάσω. Πού και πού όμως, ανεβάζει κάποιος το τροπικό του φυτό. (Κάποιος είχε παπάγια στην Αττική, κοντά σε Άλιμο/Βουλιαγμένη και πήρε και καρπούς)

Αυτά με έχουν κάνει ψείρα, θέλω να καταλάβω ακριβώς το δυναμικό των Δικαστικών (εκεί που είναι το σπίτι μας) ώστε να ξέρω το μπορώ να φυτέψω και τι όχι. Εντάξει υπάρχει και το γενικό ενδιαφέρον μέσα σε αυτά, όχι μόνο του τόπου μου δηλαδή

Άλλες φορές τα είχα κοντά σε μπετό άλλες φορές ήταν εντελώς για τα μπάζα το θερμόμετρο κοκ. Άστα ένα δράμα μέχρι να καταλήξω...

Τώρα για το inforest. Ναι, αυτή τη στιγμή για μένα είναι η πιο αξιόπιστη πηγή στην Ελλάδα. Το χάρτη προτείνω να τον χρησιμοποιείς καθαρά συμβουλευτικά. Πχ για την Κάσο κάνει extrapolation των μετ στοιχείων μεταξύ Καρπάθου και Σητείας και βγαίνει έτσι λάθος η αποτύπωση στον χάρτη καθώς δεν βασίζεται αν προσέξεις στα στοιχεία του σταθμού της ΕΜΥ στην Κάσο.  

Αν κοιτάξεις καλύτερα θα δεις οτι μικρές περιοχές της Καρπάθου και του Λασιθίου τις δίνει 11a αλλά και πάλι δεν λαμβάνει υπόψη τα νεότερα κλιματικά δεδομένα. Αν ανατρέξεις στον τύπο που δίνει το inforest θα δεις πως σε συνάρτηση με τα πρόσφατα στοιχεία της Κάσου ο τύπος δίνει καθαρά ζώνη 11b για την Κάσο. Έχω κάνει και σχετικό πόστ ακριβώς για αυτό με χρήση του τύπου σε ότι αφορά την Κάσο. Πήγαινε μερικές σελίδες πίσω και θα το βρεις. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manos33 said:

Άλλες φορές τα είχα κοντά σε μπετό άλλες φορές ήταν εντελώς για τα μπάζα το θερμόμετρο κοκ. Άστα ένα δράμα μέχρι να καταλήξω...

Τώρα για το inforest. Ναι, αυτή τη στιγμή για μένα είναι η πιο αξιόπιστη πηγή στην Ελλάδα. Το χάρτη προτείνω να τον χρησιμοποιείς καθαρά συμβουλευτικά. Πχ για την Κάσο κάνει extrapolation των μετ στοιχείων μεταξύ Καρπάθου και Σητείας και βγαίνει έτσι λάθος η αποτύπωση στον χάρτη καθώς δεν βασίζεται αν προσέξεις στα στοιχεία του σταθμού της ΕΜΥ στην Κάσο.  

Αν κοιτάξεις καλύτερα θα δεις οτι μικρές περιοχές της Καρπάθου και του Λασιθίου τις δίνει 11a αλλά και πάλι δεν λαμβάνει υπόψη τα νεότερα κλιματικά δεδομένα. Αν ανατρέξεις στον τύπο που δίνει το inforest θα δεις πως σε συνάρτηση με τα πρόσφατα στοιχεία της Κάσου ο τύπος δίνει καθαρά ζώνη 11b για την Κάσο. Έχω κάνει και σχετικό πόστ ακριβώς για αυτό με χρήση του τύπου σε ότι αφορά την Κάσο. Πήγαινε μερικές σελίδες πίσω και θα το βρεις. 

Ναι το θυμάμαι, ακολουθώ το θέμα εδώ και κανένα χρόνο νομίζω, το είχα τσεκάρει και τότε τι έλεγες.

Πχ το inforest για το Χολαργό (που είναι η βασική μας κατοικία) δείχνει ότι μπορεί να κατέβει και στους -4. Δεν λέω ότι δεν έχει γίνει ποτέ, αλλά μου φαίνεται τραγικά απίθανο πλέον.
Απόδειξη είναι ένα σωρό φυτά που έχω δει (κάποια πολλών χρόνων κιόλας) τα οποία στους -4 θα μας είχαν χαιρετήσει.

Για τα Δικαστικά δείχνει -0,8. Επίσης κατά τη γνώμη μου αρκετά απίθανο σενάριο.

Από την άλλη, νομίζω οτι υπερεκτιμά κάποιες περιοχές της Κρήτης. Για την Ιεράπετρα δείχνει 2,9 (3 σε κάποια σημεία) ενώ φέτος ας πούμε κατέβηκε στους 1,7

Γενικά ο χάρτης μου κάνει περισσότερο ως προσεγγιστικός, όχι ως ακριβές εργαλείο.
Δεν θέλω σε καμία περίπτωση να μειώσω τη δουλειά των συντακτων. Ίσα-ίσα μπράβο τους που κάθισαν και το έφτιαξαν. Ίσως κάποιος νέος επιστήμονας μπορεί να βασιστεί σε αυτόν και να τον βελτιστοποιήσει (και με πιο πρόσφατα δεδομένα επίσης)

Edited by Victor G.

Α, βασικά τώρα το παρατήρησα. Σε πολλά σημεία έχει την εκτίμηση με βάση τη μέθοδό του και την πραγματική μέση της απόλυτης ελάχιστης.

Εκεί φαίνεται ότι η μέθοδός του παραείναι αυστηρή, καθώς οι εκτιμήσεις του είναι αρκετά μικρότερες από την πραγματική μέση
(Εκτός αν το καταλαβαίνω λάθος)

Ναι, οι τιμές δίνονται κατά προσέγγιση οπουδήποτε δεν υπάρχει σταθμός. Βασίζονται στα στοιχεία του αμέσως κοντινότερου και σαφώς λείπουν τα νεότερα στοιχεία. Αλλά νομίζω είναι καλή δουλειά και σύντομα ελπίζω κάποιος να τον κάνει updated με τα νεότερα κλιματικά. Η μέση της απόλυτα ελάχιστης είναι ο πιο συνήθης τρόπος υπολογισμού PH πάντως από όσο έχω καταλάβει αν και η κριτική εδώ είναι οτι μιλάμε για πολύ αυστηρό τρόπο υπολογισμού των ζωνών. 

Yesterday's minimums in Greece as we prepare to go into the second March cold snap tomorrow and Kasos continues to show consistently the warmest minimums in the country. this time managing a low of 12.2C. It would be interesting to watch out the Kasos minimums between Friday and Wednesday during the cold snap.

780601253_Screenshot2022-03-17at8_37_22AM.thumb.png.a8b2bae7792093710616933afd75bf53.png

1 hour ago, Manos33 said:

Yesterday's minimums in Greece as we prepare to go into the second March cold snap tomorrow and Kasos continues to show consistently the warmest minimums in the country. this time managing a low of 12.2C. It would be interesting to watch out the Kasos minimums between Friday and Wednesday during the cold snap.

780601253_Screenshot2022-03-17at8_37_22AM.thumb.png.a8b2bae7792093710616933afd75bf53.png

The NOA station has the minimum at 9,2C though: https://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/kasos/

So which one do we trust? Also the HNMS station keeps going offline at time intervals in Kasos

1 hour ago, Victor G. said:

The NOA station has the minimum at 9,2C though: https://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/kasos/

So which one do we trust? Also the HNMS station keeps going offline at time intervals in Kasos

The minimum of 9.2C was registered today in the early hours of the 17th of March in the NOA station. The Kasos HNMS values above are for the 16th. 

13 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

The minimum of 9.2C was registered today in the early hours of the 17th of March in the NOA station. The Kasos HNMS values above are for the 16th. 

Oh right, my mistake.

Still the NOA station registered 10.1C for the 16th as a minimum temperature. Maybe they're placed in different locations?
(The NOA station is by the sea on the north side)

One more thing: if the north side of Kasos is so cold resistant, I imagine the south side could be even more, right? I mean the cold winds always come from the north, and they should be somewhat blocked or at least slowed down by the island's surface. Would be really interesting to see a weather station on the south side

@Manos33 Just regarding the infoclimate.fr website, when you want to download a temperature map image, just hit the downwards arrow on the right hand side under the building image. I then click ‘view’ and save the photo on my iPhone, or computer, so that it looks like the image I have attached. Then I don’t have to crop the image either, so it’s quicker and the resulting picture looks sharper and better.

All of the UK stations on infoclimate are Met Office ones and interlinked with real-time data, so I assume the ones shown in Greece are also official? There is also far more stations running in the background, influencing the colour of the map. Lots of the stations won’t appear on the map due to space limitations. Heathrow doesn’t appear on the UK map but it is still there and influences the colour gradient in that part of London still. 

Here’s a map of the air pressure across Europe, which is strangely strongest in northeast Europe near the Baltic regions. If I am not mistaken, that setup would drag colder air down from Siberia and Asia into southeastern Europe? I think after next week you guys will be okay and the temperature will rise dramatically, possibly to above average. Depends on where that airflow is coming from. Continued high pressure over northeast Europe could prolong the cold spell further. 

1260D285-AB00-499D-989E-18168ACDC4D3.thumb.png.15fac9ead60a7d4b472d88b7bcb12cc2.png

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

All of the UK stations on infoclimate are Met Office ones and interlinked with real-time data, so I assume the ones shown in Greece are also official?

They should be, however the Kasos station goes offline at times, so there's data loss.

Καταγραφή.PNG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victor G. said:

Oh right, my mistake.

Still the NOA station registered 10.1C for the 16th as a minimum temperature. Maybe they're placed in different locations?
(The NOA station is by the sea on the north side)

If you look carefully your will notice that the 10.1C was registered after 9pm. Remember that HNMS has this weird way of reporting minimums according to cut off UTC times. While NOA stations report full 24 hour periods. So most probably the minimums registered yesterday in Kasos after 18UTC will be reflected tomorrow.

Here is the relevant note 

965438148_Screenshot2022-03-17at2_55_42PM.png.336be9ea849df5d5181dd02f2985a259.png

1 hour ago, Victor G. said:

They should be, however the Kasos station goes offline at times, so there's data loss.

Καταγραφή.PNG

No, no there is no data loss. All Metars work normally.  The HNMS website is simply reporting some stations with intervals. The METAR values (min/maxes/rr etc) are daily transmitted to WMO with full data. We have discussed these extensively in Greek forums as well. 

For example you see this kind of behavior with various HNMS stations in Attica, Thessaly etc but all the data are there!

Edited by Manos33

2 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

No, no there is no data loss. All Metars work normally.  The HNMS website is simply reporting some stations with intervals. The METAR values (min/maxes/rr etc) are daily transmitted to WMO with full data. We have discussed these extensively in Greek forums as well. 

For example you see this kind of behavior with various HNMS stations in Attica, Thessaly etc but all the data are there!

Oh okay then. I saw for example a reading on 15th March at 11 o' clock and the next was on 16th at 5 o' clock in the morning (assuming they use 24h system). I seemed to me that it missed almost a whole day's readings. Any idea why they read the values, but don't post them on the HNMS site?

Now that you mention it, are there any greek forums regarding tropical plants/gardening or climate and such stuff?
I've seen the occasional threads on insomnia.gr, but that's rather a general forum to talk about everything. I don't think it's where the "experts" meet.