IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can cocos survive in Lindos,Rhodes in Greece?

southathens

55 minutes ago, ego said:

Let us know what you got :drool:

I will! Says it needs 3-9 days to ready up the order and 1-2 days shipping. So I figured if I order it now, it will probably arrive while I'm in Rhodes.

I think I'll order once we leave for Rhodes; there's no way it's gonna arrive in less than a week, so it will come immediately when we come back. (I hope!)

Victor, yes now our chance to grow cocos in Lindos! Go buy some seeds and plant them in a protected area in Lindos (somewhere we can watch from Google Earth ideally)!!!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

Victor, yes now our chance to grow cocos in Lindos! Go buy some seeds and plant them in a protected area in Lindos (somewhere we can watch from Google Earth ideally)!!!

You're either being too optimistic (the fact that you can see such a small plant from google earth) or you have access to military satellites :hmm:

Then find a person once you are there who is willing to send us pics and updates on how the cocos in Lindos are doing!

We are counting on you Victor hehhe

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

Then find a person once you are there who is willing to send us pics and updates on how the cocos in Lindos are doing!

We are counting on you Victor hehhe

I wish I would find someone...
Maybe with a bit of luck, let's see (altough I gotta say I don't hope for much)

Even if u don't find anyone just plant a few seeds now and there in good locations in Lindos and lets see hehhe. You never know. Maybe on your next visit Lindos will be full of cocos you planted. 

Then we will name you honorary coco citizen of Lindos

19 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

Even if u don't find anyone just plant a few seeds now and there in good locations in Lindos and lets see hehhe. You never know. Maybe on your next visit Lindos will be full of cocos you planted. 

Then we will name you honorary coco citizen of Lindos

The problem is to find the seeds!

And even if I find some coconuts, something tells me that the apartment owner won't be very happy finding me digging his backyard at 7 in the morning
I might be able to convince him though. Looks like his tropical interest is high; bananas, papayas and palms:36_14_15[1]:

104dd366-8141-4012-b590-96edc22c4962.webp

you can find in Rhodes city!they have lidl over there

Well according to this forum thats the only place u can reliably find cocos in Greece

Edited by Manos33

1 hour ago, Victor G. said:

And even if I find some coconuts, something tells me that the apartment owner won't be very happy finding me digging his backyard at 7 in the morning

104dd366-8141-4012-b590-96edc22c4962.webp 246.78 kB · 1 download

why do u have to do it on his property? do it anywhere else in Lindos. 

11 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

why do u have to do it on his property? do it anywhere else in Lindos. 

Oh come on. You don't just plant a coconut on the beach in Rhodes and wait for it to become a tree 

previously known as ego

3 hours ago, Victor G. said:

You're either being too optimistic (the fact that you can see such a small plant from google earth) or you have access to military satellites :hmm:

:floor:

previously known as ego

13 minutes ago, ego said:

Oh come on. You don't just plant a coconut on the beach in Rhodes and wait for it to become a tree 

Yeah I mean I can't just plant and forget it.

The only way it could work is to plant it in someone's yard who's already interested in tropicals.

Anyway it's a pointless conversation, cause I'll be staying there for 8 days in total. I would have to hand some guy a coconut and then say "Here. Germinate this for me and then plant it in your backyard. Also take care of it cause when I come back in 5 years, I wanna see a small palm".

I can't imagine a lot of positive responses to this...

If I get the chance to talk to the apartments owner I could talk to him about planting one, but he'll have to do all the work. That is, if he's willing... You all know that the interest in tropical plants in Greece could be better. A LOT better in fact

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ego said:

Says who? :D

I would have done it!You never know. I am that confident for Lindos 

Here is an idea!

I would buy loads and loads of seeds and practically throw them all around Lindos with an emotionally blackmailing note ''I aspire to become a fully grown coconut tree. If you love me please save me''

Thousands of tourists visit Lindos some of whom stay permanently over there. If the locals are not moved someone will :P:D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

Here is an idea!

I would buy loads and loads of seeds and practically throw them all around Lindos with an emotionally blackmailing note ''I aspire to become a fully grown coconut tree. If you love me please save me''

Thousands of tourists visit Lindos some of whom stay permanently over there. If the locals are not moved someone will :P:D

Draw sad faces on the coconuts first. That's gonna touch people's hearts more :floor:

• Upvote 2

previously known as ego

1 hour ago, ego said:

Draw sad faces on the coconuts first.

Yeah like Tom Hanks! Cast away in Lindos!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I got the phone number (!) of a store that sells Indian coconuts in Athens :D

• Upvote 1

previously known as ego

1 minute ago, ego said:

I got the phone number (!) of a store that sells Indian coconuts in Athens :D

Awesome!

Ask him if he's willing to move to Kasos and plant them!

Edited by Victor G.

8 minutes ago, Victor G. said:

Awesome!

Ask him if he's willing to move to Kasos and plant them!

Btw I see my posts in the social media asking for Kasos locals to try cocos is making waves around the Greek internet! I even saw some people copy pasted my message on various forums!! Hehehe probably they thought they were gonna make money or something :D:P:P

Anyhow now we have more and more people paying attention to Kasos coco potential!!!

Edited by Manos33
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Manos33 said:

Btw I see my posts in the social media asking for Kasos locals to try cocos is making waves around the Greek internet! I even saw some people copy pasted my message on various forums!! Hehehe probably they thought they were gonna make money or something :D:P:P

Anyhow now we have more and more people paying attention to Kasos coco potential!!!

I think everyone would like to see coconuts in Greece. They think we are gonna make a postcard like tropical beach haha

• Like 1

previously known as ego

15 hours ago, Manos33 said:

Manos Athens is not the place to raise a kid. Pollution, crime, no sense of society. Kids are always at home. Think what a beautiful childhood your baby would have in Kasos

• Upvote 2

previously known as ego

So...I have some news!

A local newspaper in Karpathos has published our call!

https://www.karpathiakanea.gr/tropika-fita-se-karpatho-kai-kaso/

So far 3 locals from Karpathos and one local from Kasos have reached out asking for advice on how to grow cocos. Mind you one of the people who reached out is from a big luxury hotel in Karpathos..

@Phoenikakias @ego @Victor G.

The questions seem very detailed (anything from how to find cocos to how they should try planting them etc) and I am afraid I will give the wrong answers.

Do you mind if I forward through PMs their questions so we could guide them correctly?

Edited by Manos33
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

So...I have some news!

So far 3 locals from Karpathos and one local from Kasos have reached out asking for advice on how to grow cocos. Mind you one of the people who reached out is from a big luxury hotel in Karpathos..

The questions seem very detailed (anything from how to find cocos to how they should try planting them etc) and I am afraid I will give the wrong answers.

Do you mind if I forward through PMs their questions so we could guide them correctly?

Ask me anything bout plants and stuff!

• Upvote 1

Ok I will PM you their questions. I am waiting to hear back from @Phoenikakias and @ego if they are interested to chip in as well 

24 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

So...I have some news!

For sure! 

• Upvote 1

previously known as ego

27 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

So...I have some news!

Amazing job by the way Mano! How did you manage to publish in a newspaper?

• Upvote 1

previously known as ego

I will also ask them to join palmtalk. Hopefully some speak English!!!

Just now, ego said:

Amazing job by the way Mano! How did you manage to publish in a newspaper?

I told you I am persistent :P

3 minutes ago, Manos33 said:

I will also ask them to join palmtalk. Hopefully some speak English!!!

That may scare them

previously known as ego

37 minutes ago, ego said:

I'm curious; did you send a letter to the paper?

Did you receive my PM? I have included both you and Victor in the PM. I hope PMs works with 3 people 

2 hours ago, Manos33 said:

So...I have some news!

:shaka-2: μπράβο Μανώλη!!! Είσαι τρομερός!!! 

when you read the article, you get the impression, that there are dozens of experts sitting on a round table and sharing their wisdom… but in the end we are just a bit more than amateurs, wanting to live our hobby!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Janni said:

:shaka-2: μπράβο Μανώλη!!! Είσαι τρομερός!!! 

when you read the article, you get the impression, that there are dozens of experts sitting on a round table and sharing their wisdom… but in the end we are just a bit more than amateurs, wanting to live our hobby!

Σε ευχαριστώ!!!

Well, I tried to be as formal as possible so as people who are interested would not be demotivated! 

• Like 1

Better consult mr Farkonis the Stelios forum member. He has been growing from seed onwards a coconut in Cyprus and so he is more knowledgable than all four of us.  I have never grown successfully a coconut, in fact I failed already in the stage of seed germination,  so I fear I can not be useful.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Better consult mr Farkonis the Stelios forum member. He has been growing from seed onwards a coconut in Cyprus and so he is more knowledgable than all four of us.  I have never grown successfully a coconut, in fact I failed already in the stage of seed germination,  so I fear I can not be useful.

@Stelios

could you please give us some advice? I can PM you their questions if you think you can help

7 hours ago, Manos33 said:

@Stelios

could you please give us some advice? I can PM you their questions if you think you can help

Most of the ideas I found here on PT.

First I planted the coconut in pot with almost pure beach sand. It was in the pot for 3 years. In the winter it was under the covered veranda. In the spring of 2012 I planted in the ground but before I did that, I removed a lot of the native soil and I added mostly beach sand mixed with small stones. We have sandy soil in the area but I wanted to make it extra draining. The position of the palm is south facing where it gets more winter sun almost all day. Unfortunately I didn't have space closer to the house for more protection from the wind. Until more plants will grow from the northeast, there is cool wind coming from this part in the winter. 

When the palm was smaller in the ground, I was protecting it, so it kept more dry in the winter. But every year as the palm was getting bigger, I was protecting it less and less mainly from side of the wind and not from the top. From 2019 is totally unprotected but we 50 year record rainfall that year, so I almost lost it to bud rot. 

Generally the cold wind and a lot of rain will kill the palm. Draining soil is important and the more winter sun the better. The green tall varieties might be a bit hardier as they say. I hope this helps but ask me if you have more questions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Stelios said:

First I planted the coconut in pot with almost pure beach sand. It was in the pot for 3 years. In the winter it was under the covered veranda. In the spring of 2012 I planted in the ground but before I did that, I removed a lot of the native soil and I added mostly beach sand mixed with small stones. We have sandy soil in the area but I wanted to make it extra draining. The position of the palm is south facing where it gets more winter sun almost all day. Unfortunately I didn't have space closer to the house for more protection from the wind. Until more plants will grow from the northeast, there is cool wind coming from this part in the winter. 

When the palm was smaller in the ground, I was protecting it, so it kept more dry in the winter. But every year as the palm was getting bigger, I was protecting it less and less mainly from side of the wind and not from the top. From 2019 is totally unprotected but we 50 year record rainfall that year, so I almost lost it to bud rot. 

Generally the cold wind and a lot of rain will kill the palm. Draining soil is important and the more winter sun the better. The green tall varieties might be a bit hardier as they say. I hope this helps but ask me if you have more questions.

How about fertilizing?

previously known as ego

6 hours ago, Stelios said:

So, according to your testimony growing a coconut tree even the mildest parts of Cyprus, and Greece much more,  presents a great challenge.  And is there someone, who still believes that hotels aiming at instant landscaping would invest in such a project?