IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Are Foxy Lady Seeds Toxic for Dogs

The Gerg

The heading basically says it all. My foxy lady has been seeding lately and tons are now falling to the ground. We have two new (COVID) puppies ages 9 months and 5 months. They eat anything and everything. I just want to know if eating those may be harmful to them. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Puppy!

From an old Indian word meaning "he or she that ingests everything within reach, edible or not."

Good question about the seeds' toxicity. If they're viable, gather them and make them available to us fevered palm freaks . . . .

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 hours ago, The Gerg said:

The heading basically says it all. My foxy lady has been seeding lately and tons are now falling to the ground. We have two new (COVID) puppies ages 9 months and 5 months. They eat anything and everything. I just want to know if eating those may be harmful to them. ...

I would say no, they are not toxic, but they could still have an allergic reaction to them. Squirrels and other animals eat the seed off my Foxy Lady hybrid along with Foxtail and Veitchia seed all the time and they seem unaffected. They eat the nut and ducks and other herbivores eat the fruit that is left. There is also a significant choking hazard so I wouldn't let the puppies eat them.

If you have any hot sauce you could try a training method by applying the sauce to the seed. Have the puppies taste the seed first and they should no longer want to chew on them. I did this with one of my dogs and it worked.

I try to collect the Foxy Lady seed when they ripen, but the furry insurgents seem to not care if they are ripe or not. My particular tree has a strange effect on its seed, as they do not always change color when they ripen. Weird.

Ryan

• Like 1

South Florida

13 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I don't know definitively, but can't imagine they are.

Getting any viable seeds?

I’m really not sure at this point. I’m not much of an expert in this area. I’m open for direction in checking though.

6 hours ago, The Gerg said:

I’m really not sure at this point. I’m not much of an expert in this area. I’m open for direction in checking though.

Cut one seed in half and post a picture of what it looks inside.  Experts on here might be able to tell you if they are viable.

• Like 1

I've got big veitchia palms around the yard that seed a lot -- My dogs eat 'em as fast as they come down, w/ no effects.   Inside must be tasty..

• Like 2

On 5/4/2021 at 11:29 AM, Ben in Norcal said:

... Getting any viable seeds?

12 hours ago, The Gerg said:

5 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Cut one seed in half and post a picture of what it looks inside.  Experts on here might be able to tell you if they are viable.

Cutting a seed in half is one of the best ways to look for a developed interior or endocarp, but I have had some that were destroyed by a squirrel and still germinated. On average, the majority of the viable seed on my tree have been larger, fuller-sized seed that have the diameter of a Foxtail fruit, but this can differ by tree. They are either beige or reddish-bronze when ripe or a mix of both colors. I just collect them all and throw them in a big compot and see what comes up.

I do get the occasional 'half-life' sprout. These are seed from unpollinated flowers that still germinate into a weird, off-sized, seedling. It only has half the chromosomes so it doesn't grow long, usually a couple leaves then fades. It is basically running like a pre-programmed 'engine' burning the stored food energy within the seed that would get a seedling started, but then doesn't have the full program to keep going.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

The bigger question is if Foxy Ladies can produce viable fruit.

I've found F2 feather palms to be iffy in that regard, compared to F2 fans.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My neighbors dog had to go into surgery as he ate so many palm seeds they clogged him up, they would not pass. From what I remember they where fishtail palm seeds.

• Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

57 minutes ago, redant said:

From what I remember they where fishtail palm seeds.

If the dog was eating the fruit as it dropped as opposed to cleaned seeds, I can see that it might develop problems with the calcium oxalate present in Caryota fruit.  If it was merely a blockage, just about anything solid consumed in too large of quantity could cause that problem (e.g. chewing and eating bark).  My new pup is going after the bromeliads, with an emphasis on the dead leaves.  I think the odor is the attracting thing.  Thus far I haven't seen him going after any of the palm seeds which are dropping right now, but most are smaller seeds (Dypsis pembana and lanceolata). 

On 5/3/2021 at 10:46 PM, The Gerg said:

We have two new (COVID) puppies ages 9 months and 5 months. They eat anything and everything. I just want to know if eating those may be harmful to them.

Greg aka the Gerg, do you have hibiscus in your yard.  My adult 9 year old dog has always loved the hibiscus flowers, with a preference for yellow, and the pup is learning from her that they are a delicacy.  Fortunately, its not a problem as even I like the dried crushed flowers for making tea.  Just make sure they don't get into any cycads (including "Sago Palms" or Cycas revoluta).  Seeds in particular from cycads contain toxins and my long time Vet originally from South Africa believes that even the foliage can be toxic, although not as concentrated in toxins as the seeds or cones.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

48 minutes ago, Tracy said:

my long time Vet originally from South Africa believes that even the foliage can be toxic, although not as concentrated in toxins as the seeds or cones.

It is. I had a Facebook friend who lost her dog to munching on a Sago. 

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

Greg aka the Gerg, do you have hibiscus in your yard.  My adult 9 year old dog has always loved the hibiscus flowers, with a preference for yellow, and the pup is learning from her that they are a delicacy.  Fortunately, its not a problem as even I like the dried crushed flowers for making tea.  Just make sure they don't get into any cycads (including "Sago Palms" or Cycas revoluta).  Seeds in particular from cycads contain toxins and my long time Vet originally from South Africa believes that even the foliage can be toxic, although not as concentrated in toxins as the seeds or cones.

Hibiscus in the front yard only and the dogs are not out there on their own.

I do have a couple Sago’s in the backyard. Haven’t coned yet, but hearing just the foilage can be toxic is concerning. Fortunately I wouldn’t really mind pulling those that much. They’re kind of the Queen palm of the cycad world. However I do have quite a few other cycads and our younger puppy in particular loves munching on foilage. I’ve had to be very careful he doesn’t destroy my palm seedlings. 

Thanks for input everyone.

Now, as for the Foxy Lady seeds possibly being viable....you guys tell me. To be honest, I’ve never germinated seeds before. These ones that have been falling don’t seem to really have any fruit on the outside with a seed on the inside. First pic below is what a typical fallen seed looks like so far. The next two pics shows what it looks like on the inside. From what I’ve read on this forum in past posts it seems like these are difficult to germinate.

59050012-F599-4CB9-A833-885F3E7E7EB1.jpeg.3fbe3537076d73a4aa9d80b6b886c9ff.jpeg7DA2442B-AA4F-4CF3-975D-068708E827D0.thumb.jpeg.12a20d3c26d9933eeb40ed975f66be8e.jpegC277B2C4-8BDB-44FF-B7BD-D85048FBDC19.thumb.jpeg.a802e153b86969080f52e28f13c3f541.jpeg

1 hour ago, The Gerg said:

Now, as for the Foxy Lady seeds possibly being viable....you guys tell me. To be honest, I’ve never germinated seeds before. These ones that have been falling don’t seem to really have any fruit on the outside with a seed on the inside. First pic below is what a typical fallen seed looks like so far. The next two pics shows what it looks like on the inside. From what I’ve read on this forum in past posts it seems like these are difficult to germinate.

59050012-F599-4CB9-A833-885F3E7E7EB1.jpeg.3fbe3537076d73a4aa9d80b6b886c9ff.jpeg7DA2442B-AA4F-4CF3-975D-068708E827D0.thumb.jpeg.12a20d3c26d9933eeb40ed975f66be8e.jpegC277B2C4-8BDB-44FF-B7BD-D85048FBDC19.thumb.jpeg.a802e153b86969080f52e28f13c3f541.jpeg

Those look like flowers, notice all the whitish/ cream colored stamens / pollen producing parts..  Seed will be much bigger than these.

• Like 2