IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is this aloe?

Sandy Loam

Hello. Can somebody possibly identify this aloe species for me (photo below).  Second question:   Is it cold-hardy?  Will it take 28 Fahrenheit with only minor damage?  

Thank you in advance! 

0502211444.jpg

Looks a little ‘fibrosa’ like (or one of many hybrids) to me. I’m no expert, don’t listen to me. 
If it were, however, I’d estimate it around 25-28F .

13 hours ago, RyManUtah said:

Looks a little ‘fibrosa’ like (or one of many hybrids) to me. I’m no expert, don’t listen to me. 
If it were, however, I’d estimate it around 25-28F .

Hello.  I googled ALOE FIBROSA and it did not seem to exist.  Is there a different name for that aloe species?  

Does anyone else know?  Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

Hello.  I googled ALOE FIBROSA and it did not seem to exist.  Is there a different name for that aloe species?  

Does anyone else know?  Thanks!

Exists, https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62838/       

Don't think that's it though..  Might look through Aloe - related articles made by Palmbob over on D.G.  to narrow down the list of possibilities.

OK thanks.  I will take a look. By the way, my new aloe in the photo above has two influorescences with orange blooms and is trying to grow a little trunk that is now covered in green pups.... just in case that helps with the identification. Thanks!

I know the plant, it’s here in small numbers in South Texas and the only name I’ve ever heard it called is the Florida aloe :huh:. The old mom-and-pop nurseries would sometimes have it back in the day. It seems able to bounce back from cold but is not in the same league as something like Aloe maculata. It’s similar in size to Aloe ‘Rooikappie’ but doesn’t bloom as often.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does the attached photo help with the identification of this aloe?  The flower is now spent, but this gives you the bigger picture of the aloe's structure.  

The nursery which sold this to me did not know what this aloe was called. 

I appreciate anyone who thinks they can identify it.   [RichTrav, I googled "Florida Aloe", but I did not produce one species. It produces dozens of aloe species grown in Florida. ] 

Thanks!  I look forward to your comments. 

aloe1.jpg

I have a small Vanbalenii that looks fairly similar.  It grows up to around 3' in diameter and is supposed to be a pretty rapidly clustering aloe. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/4/2021 at 8:30 AM, Sandy Loam said:

Hello. Can somebody possibly identify this aloe species for me (photo below).  Second question:   Is it cold-hardy?  Will it take 28 Fahrenheit with only minor damage?  

Thank you in advance! 

If this question is still valid your aloe looks like Aloe x delaetii (https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/257881/ ) ;)

• Like 2

This is the hardiest of standard aloish looking trunking aloes, it's rated as 8b zone plant, other hardy species are either compact clumping such as a. aristata (7b) or have more yucca traits - a. cooperi (7b). I got one flowering a. delaetii too.

IMG_20220524_112556.jpg

Edited by MSX
  • Like 1