IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Trees Near Seattle

Paradise Found

We need some uplifting palm photos, so here's a video I found from 2016 of a garden near Seattle, the Jubaea is looking good.  Biggest one I've seen in the state. 

• Like 9

Lots and lots of Trachycarpus,  and a Jubaea! Wonder how it looks after the cold snowy winters since then. 

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Those trachycarpus look a lot better than they do here in our heat.  I've seen a lot of sickly looking, neglected Texas Trachycarpus.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NBTX11 said:

Those trachycarpus look a lot better than they do here in our heat.  I've seen a lot of sickly looking, neglected Texas Trachycarpus.

They need shade here, they'll look great if shaded to the south and west. Morning sun and dappled afternoon shade only.

• Upvote 1

I haven't seen this video in a couple years.  A couple comments:

1) I always like the look of planting Trachycarpus in groves and interspersing plants around them.  I have one area like this in my yard.

2) Trachycarpus causiensis???  

3) Do you think those citrus are in pots?  Tough to tell.  I know the Yuzu is hardy, I have one but the others are iffy.  If they are in the ground the heavy Trachycarpus canopy must be helping.

4) That big Jubaea - those aren't suckers but most likely seed that have germinated in the old boots or at the base of the plant.

5) That's a lot of cactus,  most people would be surprised to know they do very well in the PNW.  I removed a couple hundred pounds of pads of cactus from my yard that all started with about 5 pads in under 3 years time.  They are nice to look at but they always hurt you.  The small fine hairs find their ways into your entire garden so whenever you do anything within 20' of the cactus you'll get them in your hands even with wearing gloves.

6)  That's a lot of palms!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Lots and lots of Trachycarpus,  and a Jubaea! Wonder how it looks after the cold snowy winters since then. 

I am sure everything or most are looking great, to bad I can't find an update. 

13 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

We have a lot of cloudy days here so that helps and a gentle climate just really dry in summer. 

BTW... Seattle on the news today said Seattle has in the last 30 years gotten warmer and rainier. They are now all most 40" of yearly rainfall. I've gotten warmer in Olympia too. 

12 hours ago, amh said:

They need shade here, they'll look great if shaded to the south and west. Morning sun and dappled afternoon shade only.

Excellent advise!!!!

59 minutes ago, Chester B said:

1) I always like the look of planting Trachycarpus in groves and interspersing plants around them.  I have one area like this in my yard.

3) Do you think those citrus are in pots?  Tough to tell.  I know the Yuzu is hardy, I have one but the others are iffy.  If they are in the ground the heavy Trachycarpus canopy must be helping.

4) That big Jubaea - those aren't suckers but most likely seed that have germinated in the old boots or at the base of the plant.

5) That's a lot of cactus,  most people would be surprised to know they do very well in the PNW.  I removed a couple hundred pounds of pads of cactus from my yard that all started with about 5 pads in under 3 years time.  They are nice to look at but they always hurt you.  The small fine hairs find their ways into your entire garden so whenever you do anything within 20' of the cactus you'll get them in your hands even with wearing gloves.

Love all the palms in my garden they do take up a lot of space but this garden is missing something. Needs more different exotic IMO. Where is the schefflera, cordylines, NZflax, etc ... But it is a low maintenance garden. Love to find an updated video. 

Hope this video cheered some of you up. :D

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Love all the palms in my garden they do take up a lot of space but this garden is missing something. Needs more different exotic IMO. Where is the schefflera, cordylines, NZflax, etc

Yes I totally agree.  I like my yard to look more lush and jungle like, in another 10 years mine might start to look more like yours.

20 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

Same here.  All the windmills here have very small tops. They look absolutely horrible unless they're in shade. 

• Like 1

Really cool for a private garden!! Surprising to see brahea in a place that is so wet. The jubea just wow. That guy did really good with all the raised beds and different levels, I bet when the garden was younger it still looked really good. I wonder how big those needle palms would be if they got 4 months a year with over 90 degree days. Awesome seeing all the variety in one garden!!!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 8:28 PM, Collectorpalms said:

As being a friend of the guy who made the video and landscaped my palm garden I know they are thriving very well 

On 5/4/2021 at 10:18 AM, Paradise Found said:

A Queen palm lives near Seattle. 

It was burned while it was protected but I saw his queen this last weekend and its coming back

On 5/4/2021 at 9:05 AM, Chester B said:

The guy who made this video is very well educated in palms and tropicals and yes the citrus is in pots .talking about cactus here are my babies he planted. They are going to thrive this summe ,lots of new growth  .he owns NW Palmscapes And Exotics 16202619623043584524954889806601.thumb.jpg.688e9ef33e807efbc7534ed3b33a4834.jpg

What is the other Trachycapus he is referring to? Think it was never a named species. 

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

12 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

What is the other Trachycapus he is referring to? Think it was never a named species. 

I have no idea.he called one a hybrid which if it was one of his its a fortunei x waggie. Don't think he meant to call the one a trachycarpus causiensis .maybe a typo but I could ask him.

15 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

I have no idea.he called one a hybrid which if it was one of his its a fortunei x waggie. Don't think he meant to call the one a trachycarpus causiensis .maybe a typo but I could ask him.

Yeah, I am familiar with the name of the hybrid, it’s the other one you are referring to. 

On 5/5/2021 at 7:07 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Yeah, I am familiar with the name of the hybrid, it’s the other one you are referring to. 

Trachycarpus martianus var. 'kassia hills'. Once known as Trachycarpus khasianus.

so it wasn't a typo.very interesting 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I drove up there for the first time and took a photo today. The garden still looks great. The Jubaea is so majestic. 

PXL_20210515_173343239.PORTRAIT.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 9:40 PM, Paradise Found said:

We need some uplifting palm photos, so here's a video I found from 2016 of a garden near Seattle, the Jubaea is looking good.  Biggest one I've seen in the state. 

I keep coming back and watching this clip, super cool garden! 

That was one of the first things I found when I started researching palms in my area and is still a great inspiration.  

I'd like to know how big the Jubaea was when he put it in, and where it came from.  

• Like 1