IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Texas cold hardy palms

allencush

Has anyone heard if he is still in business.  I have a outstanding order that I put in back in April just before the big freeze.  I have tried to contact him in a few different ways including pm. I'm sure he got hit pretty hard in his area.  

5 hours ago, allencush said:

Has anyone heard if he is still in business.  I have a outstanding order that I put in back in April just before the big freeze.  I have tried to contact him in a few different ways including pm. I'm sure he got hit pretty hard in his area.  

All I can say is, he's mentioned on here that he lost pretty much his entire inventory in our Feb freeze. 

I did contact him last year about his livistona decora he had and he would answer almost immediately.  We went back and forth for a few emails.  If he did lose almost all his inventory he should not be accepting any orders.  At the very least he should answer his emails/PM and let his customers know what's going on.  

6 hours ago, allencush said:

have a outstanding order that I put in back in April just before the big freeze. 

The freeze was not in April but in February.  If you did order before the freeze and you have not had your emails answered or have not gotten your order I would dispute the charges.  This is not how you run a business even if you were devestated by the freeze.

• Upvote 3

It was February I don't know why I wrote April.  It was just before valentine's day when I put in the order.  It was actually my valentine's present from my wife.  I emailed him and called the number on his website but that number doesn't work. 

57 minutes ago, allencush said:

It was February I don't know why I wrote April.  It was just before valentine's day when I put in the order.  It was actually my valentine's present from my wife.  I emailed him and called the number on his website but that number doesn't work. 

Yeah I would dispute the charges.  Your credit card only gives you 4 months I believe where you can dispute a charge.  I would do it as soon as you can.

Edited by Reyes Vargas

• 3 months later...

Placed an order a couple of months ago.  After 1 month of hearing nothing I began trying to contact through their email as well as through PayPal.

I never got a single response so PayPal refunded my money.

Seems this company is "taking orders" in the sense that they will take your money then ignore you.

• 1 month later...

Just curious if anyone had heard from Joe?  Looks like the ebay store is still active but only 2 listings and all the feedback is from car part purchases.  I stop by his website every once in awhile to see if anything has changed.  I'm kicking myself for all the stuff I should have bought.  I had a huge list and I was just waiting for spring because I figured it was all safer in his greenhouse than in my yard for the winter.  Little did I know..

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2022 at 8:28 PM, palmsnbananas said:

Wow did this guy really just bail?

He lost his entire inventory in the freeze last year. 

• 1 month later...

Similar experience to all the other posters.  Purchased a palm in January that showed as in stock and had a price but as soon as I bought it the status changed to "backordered".  

Sent e-mails requesting a status but never received a reply.  Escalated to PayPal but they didn't respond to them either.  Finally created a claim and expect a refund in 30 days or so. 

Not cool. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I placed an order for an item that was in stock and on my email confirmation showed it was on back ordered. I've sent 3 emails an no reply. Today I called and it went to voice-mail so I left a message with my ordered number. I also sent the number a text with screenshot asking for a status. I'll probably just do this daily for a week and contact PayPal. I was warned by a friend but I had good luck a couple years ago on an order.

6 hours ago, steve617 said:

I placed an order for an item that was in stock and on my email confirmation showed it was on back ordered. I've sent 3 emails an no reply. Today I called and it went to voice-mail so I left a message with my ordered number. I also sent the number a text with screenshot asking for a status. I'll probably just do this daily for a week and contact PayPal. I was warned by a friend but I had good luck a couple years ago on an order.

I'm not defending anything here, and I'm legit wondering if he's ok. But he did lose his entire inventory in the freeze of Feb 2021 and there's a few threads about this and he's been MIA ever since. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'm not defending anything here, and I'm legit wondering if he's ok. But he did lose his entire inventory in the freeze of Feb 2021 and there's a few threads about this and he's been MIA ever since. 

My feelings have been similar. 

There are numerous posts where one could find my recommendations to buy from Joe.  All of my experiences were positive and before the big Feb. 2021 freeze.  The experiences above are a large departure from the person who sent a whole box full of cycads as a thank you to the CFPACS for squaring away some ordering issues he was experiencing.

For anyone still considering an order post-2021-freeze, please don't set yourself up for disappointment.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 4/2/2022 at 10:16 PM, kinzyjr said:

For anyone still considering an order post-2021-freeze, please don't set yourself up for disappointment.

Concur with this statement, and the sentiments expressed about the individual. His website page is still active, and it is still advertising palms for sale. It is also still linked to PayPal; therefore, if you make a purchase, your credit card will be charged.  I tried this with a small purchase last month just to see what would happen.  No product, and no contact from the vendor.  I had to elevate the incident to PayPal to get a refund on my card (took about a month).

I had very positive dealing with him pre-2021 freeze. I always hope for the best, and I hope he is OK health-wise.  But if this is just a going out of business thing, or loss of inventory, or whatever...leaving an active commercial website up, one that still advertises products and collects money, is not cool (especially for this long).  Even if there is some technically difficulty with taking it down (not so much establishing it obviously), the lack of response/recompense on his part is troubling.

I reported him to PayPal, but I doubt that will stop his website from actively collecting money from unsuspecting would-be customers.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker