ColumbusPalm

Sabal Brazoria

ColumbusPalm

Has anyone grown this in a Z6a or b for more than a few years? 

tlow
1 hour ago, ColumbusPalm said:

Has anyone grown this in a Z6a or b for more than a few years? 

I'd be shocked if you got anything positive for being in 6a... They are meant to handle cold, but need some heat to recover should they go through a rough winter.  You'd be pushing the limits here IMHO.

• Like 1

Collectorpalms

At *5F mature ones start to get tip burn. They are less hardy than regular minors by 5-10 degrees. I would rate them a Southern warm zone 7a. Like Tennessee southward. 
I believe all Sabals really need soil temperatures above 70 and daytime temperatures in the 80s and well above to really grow fast.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

ColumbusPalm

They just seem like they’d be a better bet than Trachys in a zone 6. I know people go through great lengths to pull them through a winter but Brazoria appears to have better foliage hardiness. Ohio summers from June-September are usually 80s+. August gets really hot here. I may be moving closer to the lake next year which is a 6b so was curious if anything beyond minors or needles would be worth trying. 

• Like 1

Collectorpalms

Sabal Brazoria did perform better than a Trachycarpus Fortunei that was next to it this Winter. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Collectorpalms
6 hours ago, ColumbusPalm said:

They just seem like they’d be a better bet than Trachys in a zone 6. I know people go through great lengths to pull them through a winter but Brazoria appears to have better foliage hardiness. Ohio summers from June-September are usually 80s+. August gets really hot here. I may be moving closer to the lake next year which is a 6b so was curious if anything beyond minors or needles would be worth trying. 

Try Yucca Rostrata, And Sabal Louisiana. Possibly Sabal Birmingham ( but real slow) There are small leaf minor and large leaf minor eco types. 
Trachycarpus will have a longer growing season there. Probably grow fast now through mid fall So try them, just protect them.

If you can find a reliable Sabal Brazoria try it. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Allen
6 hours ago, ColumbusPalm said:

The rub is that Trachy outgrow them by leaps and bounds.   So plant both.  LOL

• Like 1

buffy
7 hours ago, ColumbusPalm said:

I may be moving closer to the lake next year which is a 6b so was curious if anything beyond minors or needles would be worth trying. 

S. "Tamaulipas" was unblemished at -5F along with the Needles.  Most of my minors showed some damage.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Collectorpalms
6 minutes ago, buffy said:

S. "Tamaulipas" was unblemished at -5F along with the Needles.  Most of my minors showed some damage.

Buffy! Will you have Tamaulipas seed your willing to share! 

• Like 1