IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Brazoria

ColumbusPalm

1 hour ago, ColumbusPalm said:

Has anyone grown this in a Z6a or b for more than a few years? 

I'd be shocked if you got anything positive for being in 6a... They are meant to handle cold, but need some heat to recover should they go through a rough winter.  You'd be pushing the limits here IMHO.

• Like 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

At *5F mature ones start to get tip burn. They are less hardy than regular minors by 5-10 degrees. I would rate them a Southern warm zone 7a. Like Tennessee southward. 
I believe all Sabals really need soil temperatures above 70 and daytime temperatures in the 80s and well above to really grow fast.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

They just seem like they’d be a better bet than Trachys in a zone 6. I know people go through great lengths to pull them through a winter but Brazoria appears to have better foliage hardiness. Ohio summers from June-September are usually 80s+. August gets really hot here. I may be moving closer to the lake next year which is a 6b so was curious if anything beyond minors or needles would be worth trying. 

• Like 1

Sabal Brazoria did perform better than a Trachycarpus Fortunei that was next to it this Winter. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

6 hours ago, ColumbusPalm said:

They just seem like they’d be a better bet than Trachys in a zone 6. I know people go through great lengths to pull them through a winter but Brazoria appears to have better foliage hardiness. Ohio summers from June-September are usually 80s+. August gets really hot here. I may be moving closer to the lake next year which is a 6b so was curious if anything beyond minors or needles would be worth trying. 

Try Yucca Rostrata, And Sabal Louisiana. Possibly Sabal Birmingham ( but real slow) There are small leaf minor and large leaf minor eco types. 
Trachycarpus will have a longer growing season there. Probably grow fast now through mid fall So try them, just protect them.

If you can find a reliable Sabal Brazoria try it. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ColumbusPalm said:

The rub is that Trachy outgrow them by leaps and bounds.   So plant both.  LOL

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

7 hours ago, ColumbusPalm said:

I may be moving closer to the lake next year which is a 6b so was curious if anything beyond minors or needles would be worth trying. 

S. "Tamaulipas" was unblemished at -5F along with the Needles.  Most of my minors showed some damage.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

6 minutes ago, buffy said:

S. "Tamaulipas" was unblemished at -5F along with the Needles.  Most of my minors showed some damage.

Buffy! Will you have Tamaulipas seed your willing to share! 

• Like 1