Jump to content
Teegurr

Brazos Valley Palm Recovery Thread

Recommended Posts

Collectorpalms
2 hours ago, Centraltxpalm said:

There is another on lincoln doing well, this one is in Bryan. I'm not great at identifying them if they arent filled in with fronds.

The ones on Lincoln are going to be removed to expand the sidewalk and create a greenway free of trees.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
2 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

The ones on Lincoln are going to be removed to expand the sidewalk and create a greenway free of trees.

Oh good, more concrete.  :wacko:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
amh
8 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

The ones on Lincoln are going to be removed to expand the sidewalk and create a greenway free of trees.

Thank you Americas engineers and architects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xenon

There are at least 5 or so recovering CIDP in and around Texas and College Ave entering Bryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Teegurr

Saw this almost-robusta at the Shipwreck grill recovering on google maps - this was in April 2021. I wonder how it's doing now.

 

Screenshot (192).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Centraltxpalm
On 8/3/2021 at 9:21 PM, Teegurr said:

Saw this almost-robusta at the Shipwreck grill recovering on google maps - this was in April 2021. I wonder how it's doing now.

 

Screenshot (192).png

I think they planted some new ones around there, not sure if they left that one or took it down.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
On 8/3/2021 at 9:21 PM, Teegurr said:

Saw this almost-robusta at the Shipwreck grill recovering on google maps - this was in April 2021. I wonder how it's doing now.

 

Screenshot (192).png

This was the first tall Washingtonia to come back in our area . All the Older palms had survived, but the newer planted ones that were already 10-15 years old looked dead in Spring. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte

Some more information on Butia hardiness in Texas! 

Newly enlisted my toddling daughter for Powersports in College Station (highly recommend!) and was pleasantly surprised to discover a bunch of mature palms. The place is outside of the city and quite exposed, I would say. I am guessing they would have hit 3F as well, if not lower.

The upshot, I am getting similar survival ratio's as from my friends garden. Out of the nine Butia's (the last pic contains 4!), 7 seem to have survived. 

Butia rec 3.jpg

Butia rec 2.jpg

Butia rec 1.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
12 hours ago, Swolte said:

Some more information on Butia hardiness in Texas! 

Newly enlisted my toddling daughter for Powersports in College Station (highly recommend!) and was pleasantly surprised to discover a bunch of mature palms. The place is outside of the city and quite exposed, I would say. I am guessing they would have hit 3F as well, if not lower.

The upshot, I am getting similar survival ratio's as from my friends garden. Out of the nine Butia's (the last pic contains 4!), 7 seem to have survived. 

Butia rec 3.jpg

Butia rec 2.jpg

Butia rec 1.jpg

They had a mule for a long time. It must have died in 2018 after 14-15F because I didn’t see it there this fall prior to Feb 2021. I think it was just one that got mislabeled as a butia.


Butia of similar age and size the ones on the west side of town only about 1/2 survived.

 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Those guys were saved from the worst of the north wind.

297608A2-BA0B-4FFC-8992-DA333116767E.jpeg
 

Most of The ones at Chuy’s were more exposed to the north wind. Several were iffy last I checked this spring.

61857010-B5F1-4125-808F-2D9FBB8C8C09.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...