WaianaeCrider

Plant Tags that Last for Years

WaianaeCrider

If you have some old Venetian Blinds don't throw them away.  They make great plant tags depending on what they are made.  I think these are some kind of plastic.

I write in pencil on one side the name and date planted.  On the other side I use a PAINT PEN to put down the same info but it's easier to read than pencil at a glance.  I have some of these marked with the PAINT pens that look as good as new after 11 years.  I get mine at a hobby shop, but I'm sure amazon has the as well.

20210501_120430.jpg

20210501_120437.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

jimmyt

I have the metal painted version of these(cream or white).  I just use #2 pencil to write on them.. Tin snips to cut points if desired and a metal hole punch if I need to wire them to the plant.  The graphite does not fade or wash off.  These last decades! Good idea!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Steve Mac

Good idea Steve and Jimmy, I did find that pencil lasts much better than 'Permanent markers', but I didn't know about the paint pen.

John hovancsek

They kinda remind me of the ones that I use but you use a regular pen to write and it leaves the name engraved in the tag

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

jimmyt

@John hovancsek   I have some of those permanent aluminum engraveable ones too.  I save those for the prize longterm plants.  The window blind/pencil version can be reused, the aluminum ones only once! Recycle and repupose!

• Upvote 1

Reyes Vargas
3 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

They kinda remind me of the ones that I use but you use a regular pen to write and it leaves the name engraved in the tag

image.jpg

Where do you buy those?  I have some cacti in pots that I don't want to forget the names of.

Reyes Vargas
12 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

@John hovancsek   I have some of those permanent aluminum engraveable ones too.  I save those for the prize longterm plants.  The window blind/pencil version can be reused, the aluminum ones only once! Recycle and repupose!

Where do you get your aluminum tags Jimmy?

John hovancsek
3 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Where do you buy those?  I have some cacti in pots that I don't want to forget the names of.

I got them from a nursery here on the big island here is the label you can probably find on Amazon 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Silas_Sancona
3 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Where do you get your aluminum tags Jimmy?

3 minutes ago, John hovancsek said:

I got them from a nursery here on the big island here is the label you can probably find on Amazon 

image.jpg

Amazon, Ebay... Some nurseries still sell them as well. Impress-O used to sell them in boxes, up to 100 count( think they've stopped manufacturing them ).  Use them for my Plumeria, other special things. Great product.

jimmyt

@Reyes Vargas  I did not intend to ignore you but I got busy shining my aluminum plant tags! :D  The others are correct.   Amazon, Ebay, online nursery retailers.  A few specialty nurseries may carry them in store.  I have never seen them in a store around BF Texas where I hang out though!  

• Upvote 1

msporty

I’ve been using aluminum tags that are indented using a ball point pen and secured with zip ties. Unfortunately the plastic  zip ties degrade over time...

I’ve noticed a few gardens (e.g. Huntington and Quail) use embossed tags on a metal stake. Anyone know what metal and gauge are used in the stakes in this application?

This would be my desired labeling method.F7CCA3B5-394F-4AAB-91C6-191D6FAD4446.thumb.jpeg.18d5bc4f2020bffc3b052749a9c25b59.jpeg

• Like 3

Palmarum
On 5/1/2021 at 6:29 PM, WaianaeCrider said:

If you have some old Venetian Blinds don't throw them away.  They make great plant tags depending on what they are made. ....

They make excellent plant tags. You can write on them with a pencil, china marker or various paint markers. Old blinds are on my misc. grab list when I check out yard sales and flea markets. They can be broke, bent, whatever and they still work and are usually super cheap. I typically find them in the back of the flea market 'booth' and not priced as the vendor thinks they are one step from garbage and not a prime item to drag to the front...

"I'll give you a dollar for all those old blinds back there."

"Sold! Take 'em all."

-

Ryan

• Like 2