newtopalmsMD

Sabal Birmingham problem?

newtopalmsMD

I am in zone 7a MD, which had a mild winter (I don't think any night was below 5F).   I also had about 6 inches of oak leaf mulch around the plant over the winter.  I planted this Sabal Birmingham in April of last summer, so this was the first winter in the ground.  I have clay soil.  It did fine in the summer and I fertilized with  Miracle Gro palm tree food.    As you can see the two newest fronds have brown tips.   Also the two oldest fronds are done.  Should I be worried about the condition of this Sabal and if so is there anything I should do?  Also I noted that a more established sabal minor has just the very ends of tips (half inch?) of newer fronds a bit brown, but don't see this on my trachys or needles.

Thanks

IMG_3955.jpg

• Upvote 1

Will Simpson

Your Birmingham is fine but you can expect some damage in the single digits mainly on older fronds  . I would mound mulch high on the trunk in winter pulling it off of the trunk during mild periods and then back on the trunk when another cold snap below 10F comes down . I remember when I had a 4F and a 5F for lowest lows several winters ago and Birminghams really don't like it that cold . They will live though , and with mulch covering the trunk by several inches your plant should survive that kind of cold . It's a quick easy protection method that will keep your growing bud much warmer than the surrounding air temperature .

Good luck .

• Like 1

Allen

It looks fine.  it will take one year in the ground to get established , expect it to grow better next year.  But they are slow.

Steve in Florida

If the Miracle Gro is not diluted enough, it can burn the tips of new leaves.

Matt N- Dallas

It looks like cold damage as ‘Birmingham’ will burn in the single digit events.  They are very slow growers.  

Chad king NC

They are so slow that it will be worth your effort to give it extra protection till it gets a going.

• Like 1