IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Advice for purchasing new trachycarpus fortunei (windmill)

jons0027

Long story short I'm in the market for a new trachy. I'm in central Virginia where they aren't unheard of, but still not always easy to find. 

At this point the options within my budget appear to be either getting a larger, more established tree, 15 gal, 4-5ft that was brought in from further south (i.e. FL, gulf coast, etc), OR a smaller tree that's been grown closer to my locality, i.e. 5 gal, 1-2ft. 

I've read conflicting advice about what's more important for hardiness & health: where it was grown versus initial size. Any thoughts or experience?

I'm usually a cheapskate with plants, often rescuing clearance stuff from shops, getting suckers from friends, and plucking stuff from the wild. I'd hate to drop coin on a larger trachy if it's a potential issue having it brought in from a far away reason. But I'm also impatient like every gardener and would love the instant results of a larger plant. Thanks!

Edited by jons0027

If you plant both of those there won't be that big of a size difference say 3 years out.  

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Do not buy from florida.. try to stay with a local grower. Try to find a grower thst is equal to your hardiness zone

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Not an expert but... Try to stick with local growers... at least the same hardiness zone as yours. I had great success planting right next to my house.. i guess the extra heat and lower wind helps... and of course southern exposure!! If you protect it in the winter, provide adequate ventilation.  

That's an awesome & inspiring palm! If you can pull that off up in NYC, really encouraging for my prospects down here in VA.

I can see you planted it extremely close to the house. Any issues with leaves getting torn up by the brick? My planting area is near a detached garage and about 6'x6' and currently empty. I could plant it this close or spaced further out. 

Edited by jons0027

No damage from the brick... over the years it seems to grow away from the house on a slight curve. 

O... and BTW... I purchased my trees from a company called chilly palms...North Carolina growers. they where delivered in pots... stay away from anything from warmer climates and not in pots... at least that's my personal opinion... like.i said im far from and expert... 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Allen said:

If you plant both of those there won't be that big of a size difference say 3 years out.  

100%%%%%

Don't buy a big one, I find the ones that are about 3'-4' overall height (fronds included) will go into the ground and not skip a beat.

When I first moved here and was excited I could grow palms I shelled out almost a thousand bucks on a big triple Trachy.  4 years later two of the palms have grown less than a foot, and the dominant one maybe two feet.  My small big box palms I planted the following year have caught up to them in height and to my eye are far better looking and hold on to all of their lower fronds.  I spent $50/each, and then the same year the other big box had small triple trachys for $30 each.  They are now about 8' overall height whereas my original Triple is 10' or 11'.

Don't buy the big one unless you need or want an immediate impact.  Save your money and buy 3 or 4 small ones and still have money left over.

• Like 3

I just dig them out of my yard and plant them where I want them . I found some a couple years ago and then the one in the second picture I happened upon  last year . I was surprised by finding them and am glad I've got a nice source for Trachys ; my own seeding trees .

Will

IMG_0048.thumb.JPG.443e1ea1a05b7312bad81decd186e220.JPG

IMG_0047.thumb.JPG.28fe12022b4fa2f2735938522182bb98.JPG

• Upvote 1

that's really cool Will. hope to be able to do the same some day!

On 4/29/2021 at 8:12 PM, bronxboynyc71 said:

This my trachy,  Bronx, NY

20210410_185943.jpg

How many feet of brick does it go up? Wider view? Most people don’t have brick higher than 2 floors, most 1 floor.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

How many feet of brick does it go up? Wider view? Most people don’t have brick higher than 2 floors, most 1 floor.

In the north our homes are mostly brick. Well not where I am now but previously. Siding was never used until the last 20 years, brick was the standard. 

I planted a 3 gallon in 2016, a 30 gallon in 2017 and a b&b in 2018.  Now they are almost at the same height. 

20200511_181321.jpg

20210502_191317.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Chad king NC said:

I planted a 3 gallon in 2016, a 30 gallon in 2017 and a b&b in 2018.  Now they are almost at the same height. 

20200511_181321.jpg

20210502_191317.jpg

Nice trachys! Love the grouping. 

Also, that's an amazing collection of agaves & yuccas you got there Chad! When I was looking at plants this weekend, I impulse-bought a rostrata, somewhat foolishly without doing any homework. It was WAY more than I typically spend on plants, but seeing one in person I couldn't resist its charms.

I see you got one of those in the back. Any planting/fertilizing advice? It looks like we are in similar zones/climates.  Also, were you able to buy any of the agave locally? Now that I have a rostrata, and being inspired by photos like this, I'm considering doing a tiny little xeriscape in a corner of my garden surrounding my rostrata. 

• Like 1

jons0027  the rostata is planted in a raised bed that has a very gritty mix.  I really don't fertilize the yucca or any agave.  Most of my agaves and cacti come from mail order,  PDN or ebay.  Sometimes I find cold hardy varieties at my local big box stores.