IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycads through epic freeze events

Swolte

Any Cycads that surprised you through freeze events?

After the big Texas freeze of 2021 (went down to 3F here), my unprotected Ceratozamia Hildae is showing growth!

bamboo cycad.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Cool, mine is in a pot, but if yours survived this freeze, I wont be afraid to plant mine.

Now I just need to buy more.

Several C. Revoluta (also unprotected but close to the house) are also returning. 

sago.jpg

• Like 7

Does anyone have a report for Zamia floridana, various Dioons, Cycas taitungensis, Cycas panzhihuaensis, or Cycas debaoensis hybrids?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, amh said:

Does anyone have a report for Zamia floridana, various Dioons, Cycas taitungensis, Cycas panzhihuaensis, or Cycas debaoensis hybrids?

My young Zamia floridana, Taitungensis, and Panzi were protected by a bit of straw and a frost blanket (no heat source) and returned from being defoliated. Still waiting on the Debaoensis hybrid that received the same protection... (fingers crossed). 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Swolte said:

My young Zamia floridana, Taitungensis, and Panzi were protected by a bit of straw and a frost blanket (no heat source) and returned from being defoliated. Still waiting on the Debaoensis hybrid that received the same protection... (fingers crossed). 

Good news.

6 hours ago, Swolte said:

I honestly think its near impossible to kill a Coontie. Surviving the heat here thru summer, and me not watering my colony of them often -in a pot- is impressive. Surviving the degree of cold you all had this year is even more impressive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, necturus said:

Have a small Stangeria that's coming back, but it's below the ground.

Where did you obtain your stangeria?

33 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I honestly think its near impossible to kill a Coontie. Surviving the heat here thru summer, and me not watering my colony of them often -in a pot- is impressive. Surviving the degree of cold you all had this year is even more impressive.

The coonties are bulletproof, they can tolerate both sun and shade. All of mine are in pots, but they have experienced low teens with no defoliation, I had a few in the ground, but the pigs decided to eat them.

Just now, amh said:

The coonties are bulletproof, they can tolerate both sun and shade. All of mine are in pots, but they have experienced low teens with no defoliation, I had a few in the ground, but the pigs decided to eat them.

Bet the pigs will regret eating them, lol.. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Bet the pigs will regret eating them, lol.. 

I sure hope so, luckily they leave the other cycads alone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I brought everything in at Austin, except 3 Encephalartos Ferox Seedlings I forgot. They are dead.

In Houston my parents had a Lepidozamia Perryoffskyana seedling I planted come back from 15*F. It’s already grown 2 fronds.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2021 at 5:00 PM, amh said:

My zamia florida probably died, but I had purchased them as tiny seedlings years ago and they never thrived.  My sago palms are doing fine. 

I've got a few sago weeds (seedlings) through out my landscape.  I don't know if they survived or not.  They never grew much beyond one true leaf, so it will be a while to determine. 

• Like 1

I'm seeing a few local sagos flushing, if the majority survive, I would consider them hardy to 7A.

• Like 1

Cycas panzhihuaensis did better than Cycas revoluta, 
and Dioon Angustafolia didn’t even defoliate at Zilker Gardens in Austin.

Several Cycas Revoluta in and north of College Station are dead. Mine appear alive. The ones that I wrapped have flushed, the ones I didn’t have not flushed, but their crown still appears firm.

I found most were dead in Waco when I checked their crown.

I honestly wasn’t sure how hardy they were but now I learned something.

B12011DF-9ADD-4CAC-9D33-57790573B532.jpeg

5C6D2536-25D8-4B3F-B713-64A17FC3455C.jpeg

D79B7B14-C95A-42BC-8367-54CE694FBA8F.jpeg

3FA7216C-714E-419F-9847-4101AAFF30AD.jpeg

C482B2E1-03DF-4A82-9AA6-4980B939D8DB.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

20 hours ago, amh said:

I'm seeing a few local sagos flushing, if the majority survive, I would consider them hardy to 7A.

They might survive a 7a winter, but will probably decline in with lows of 5 degrees every winter! 

• Like 1

Here is something kinda funny or not:

I have bunch of sago palms all over my yard.  Many I purchased as little "house plants" for real cheap.  Anyway, I pruned a little 4 frond one.   Unfortunately, I ended up doing a bunch of work on other plants in the vicinity and since it was pruned, I didn't see it.    I ended up stepping on it and crushed it.  

I'm not pruning any more of small ones..LOL

I have a little 4 fronder that is flushing already. 

Edited by PricklyPearSATC

1 minute ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

Here is something kinda funny or not:

I have bunch of sago palms all over my yard.  Many I purchased as little "house plants" for real cheap.  Anyway, I pruned a little 4 frond one.   Unfortunately, I ended up doing a bunch of work on other plants in the vicinity and since it was pruned, I didn't see it.    I ended up stepping on it and crushed it.  

I'm not pruning any more of small ones..LOL

ouch!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Cycas panzhihuaensis did better than Cycas revoluta, 
and Dioon Angustafolia didn’t even defoliate at Zilker Gardens in Austin.

Several Cycas Revoluta in and north of College Station are dead. Mine appear alive. The ones that I wrapped have flushed, the ones I didn’t have not flushed, but their crown still appears firm.

I found most were dead in Waco when I checked their crown.

I honestly wasn’t sure how hardy they were but now I learned something.

I'm hoping the cycads in my area fair better, there was over 7 inches of snow, so I'm hoping that helped. Also the area is dryer, well drained and accustomed to cold temperatures and prolonged freezes.

• 4 weeks later...

I was surprised to stumble on a new flush of the Cycas Debaoensis x Revoluta hybrid today! Had given up on that one!
:D

cycas Deb x Rev.jpg

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 5

Visited friend today and his hybrids were doing great! He did protect them (but no heat source, just some leaves). 

Deb x Rev.jpg

DebxRev1.jpg

• Like 1

And more evidence that coonties, bamboo cycads (Ceratozamia hildae), and Panzi's are tough as nails!
:D

Coontie.jpg

Hildea.jpg

Panzi.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Swolte said:

Visited friend today and his hybrids were doing great! He did protect them (but no heat source, just some leaves). 

Up above you said these were Deb x Rev, is that the correct order?  Normally I see Rev x Deb (female Revoluta) and I haven't seen the reverse offered for sale.

That's great recovery on them, it just goes to show the saying is true.  Don't give up on a cycad until it rots and falls apart!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Merlyn said:

Up above you said these were Deb x Rev, is that the correct order?  Normally I see Rev x Deb (female Revoluta) and I haven't seen the reverse offered for sale.

I double checked and you were right. These are Rev x Deb! Thanks for pointing that out!

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Swolte said:

What temperatures did your friend experience?

He lives not far from me and I got down to 3F the worst night. Several days of freezing temps. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Swolte said:

He lives not far from me and I got down to 3F the worst night. Several days of freezing temps. 

Okay, just making sure they weren't located on the coast.

Great thread.

• Like 1

Did anyone have any plants of the Macrozamia genus in the ground, if so, did they survive?

11 hours ago, amh said:

Did anyone have any plants of the Macrozamia genus in the ground, if so, did they survive?

I have a pair of Macrozamia moorei in the ground and they got scorched pretty badly at 22-23F but survived. They’re coming back slowly, they grow more like palms and don’t do a massive quick flush of growth like most cycads.

• Like 1

Zamia furfuracea just started flushing new leaves after 9F in February in one of the smaller caudices as two rotted.  Bigger caudices are still solid so hoping they'll follow soon.  Cycas revoluta looks normal again.

IMG_20210603_164025.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 1

Jon Sunder

I brought all of my plants indoors, but the majority of the neighborhood sagos have returned.

My cycas taitungensis with about 3 ft of trunk has died. It was unprotected. The top has completed rotted off. It never made pups, so it’s a total loss. A nearby Common sago female has returned but the fronds are uneven so it was damaged. Two other common sagos have not rotted or returned. Otherwise, all other Cycads were protected and have flushed. 
An unprotected Cycas Panz. Returned for a friend, so I think it must be more hardy than regular common sagos.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

My cycas taitungensis with about 3 ft of trunk has died. It was unprotected. The top has completed rotted off. It never made pups, so it’s a total loss. A nearby Common sago female has returned but the fronds are uneven so it was damaged. Two other common sagos have not rotted or returned. Otherwise, all other Cycads were protected and have flushed. 
An unprotected Cycas Panz. Returned for a friend, so I think it must be more hardy than regular common sagos.

What kind of low temperatures did you see?  My recollection was that Taitungensis was similar in hardiness to Revoluta, and Panz. is significantly hardier.  So that would make sense, unfortunately.

9 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Where did you acquire the taitungensis?

They are supposed to be as or more hardy than revoluta.

Edited by amh