Jump to content

Recommended Posts

teddytn

Here’s all of them when I got them unloaded3650C593-C686-4023-B6B0-57037810EF95.thumb.jpeg.b78b7fd8a193545b4512cce8683b6dca.jpegThis is a 7 gallon sabal minor, begging to get planted9EF46777-81D2-4ED7-8865-1860958B78DD.thumb.jpeg.a3c396ca735e3f518a9d0fa65e7bfe7d.jpeg7328082C-E4A6-4BF7-B406-7186CEEB20C8.thumb.jpeg.c52ebfad8a0093933ef0990a33a3118b.jpegHere’s 2 sabal Louisiana 3 gallon B3DB598B-A398-45CC-A2E8-1CF25EF9DB44.thumb.jpeg.2b798cec1c602d85ff211b2ca6f1ceb7.jpeg29EF0416-3E48-4D5D-A043-0F135A97D8DC.thumb.jpeg.6d0c5a74391a6c6f4a7a7e1cadc410b2.jpegThat’s a palmetto on the right, sabal Louisiana center, and sabal minor 3 gallon left.BF01927D-BD91-4B00-98BB-9319F9FC8D42.thumb.jpeg.ee737de58f532963f09b513aacee9d93.jpegI’ve got 5 more sabal minors to plant, didn’t have all my spots ready for them and they needed to get up potted. Put them in deep 7 gallon pots, they are on the right. The smallest palm on the left is a sabal etonia, and the one to the right is a sabal mexicana. I didn’t really have a plan for those just couldn’t pass them up when I was at the nursery, they were in 1 gallon pots up potted them for now.

37C362B5-1F1B-475E-86AD-7989966CA530.jpeg

  • Like 11
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

@teddytn Very nice!  Keep up the good work!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reeverse

Nice! Happy growing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teddytn

How could I forget. 3 gallon needle palm3F8ED80A-99D9-4EA6-B134-A318777D7A2A.thumb.jpeg.22863fe465e0b1229ee890d6448f0605.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
On 4/27/2021 at 9:44 PM, teddytn said:

I didn’t really have a plan for those just couldn’t pass them up when I was at the nursery, they were in 1 gallon pots up potted them for now.

Damn I wish our nurseries sold more sabals !!! 

T J 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teddytn
2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Damn I wish our nurseries sold more sabals !!! 

T J 

That’s weird, when I think of nurseries south of here I picture rows of every species of palm tree in every size, cactus, agaves. Pretty much my idea of heaven lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teddytn

Sunday funday!!! Somehow this chamaerops humilis jumped on my cart at the store.....I was literally just trying to get some mulch I swear! LolB3AB7FCA-8D84-4B30-80D1-75086DF16341.thumb.jpeg.b7f80115e7e3c565785904c4f5cc12ce.jpeg45592E8B-C62A-46D0-90B0-B6ADF36CD09B.thumb.jpeg.5d28322b3138120080d94ff6cf60071a.jpeg1C7F07AE-520B-4CC8-965C-A45E99424D77.thumb.jpeg.cc98570af4f4d233dc9caa364aab990b.jpeg1A7DD185-DD02-4CA4-BD78-A70B1AC1648D.thumb.jpeg.b559c40a0d1d3aa940b039a0481621f8.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teddytn

3 Takils from jungle music!!! Don’t quote me, but pretty sure the last palms of the season....big one is looking rough, gonna have to baby these for a while. People weren’t lying about the alpine trunking nature of Takil, all three identical growth habit. Oh jeez almost forgot 6 fortunei that showed up the other day6B2A95F5-14EF-45D6-9062-A2CABE0252ED.thumb.jpeg.2e81166e0fa2250eb17363bdb54f489a.jpegE786B20D-3006-44F1-BA16-C79838A2DCE6.thumb.jpeg.ddfd8e08b5544b07d87be653df3085bf.jpeg1E5C0CE6-9301-4A44-8419-01173A54A65C.thumb.jpeg.07672d0f2f75a149632491fd33ec9a0e.jpegDDE44DA7-6925-4E88-A57C-60D45E4ABC7C.thumb.jpeg.e8319dde8dcc26e46c101dd1b6008b55.jpeg5FC77A6C-1889-4D9A-9122-0105323DB9EE.thumb.jpeg.34082e7e628a043fe7e7c3daf2c5d110.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teddytn

2 sabal minor Emerald Isle giants from plant delights. Thanks to @PalmatierMeg! Really happy, definitely bigger plants than I thought were going to show up!!! Going to stay potted for winter and plant out next spring.9BD8904E-2E60-4B19-A1FC-A22ABCF8F139.thumb.jpeg.50509f77a2486fc30ee1469b52feb1dc.jpeg8D579704-45D3-4CBC-A761-8E2627D44127.thumb.jpeg.a3381b0af718794b894ad5218c6f89bd.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmatierMeg

great looking plants. You'll love them. In the shade or on a cloudy, rainy day they are a mesmerizing blue tint. You can see hints of that color in your photos. Here is mine on a late Jan. evening this year

1409505980_SabalminorEmeraldIsleGiant0101-06-21.thumb.JPG.73d0fd165d7c821b8b1b5d37a84aa2a6.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teddytn
1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

great looking plants. You'll love them. In the shade or on a cloudy, rainy day they are a mesmerizing blue tint. You can see hints of that color in your photos. Here is mine on a late Jan. evening this year

1409505980_SabalminorEmeraldIsleGiant0101-06-21.thumb.JPG.73d0fd165d7c821b8b1b5d37a84aa2a6.JPG

That is gorgeous! Pictures are hard to tell, are the leaves as big as they say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmatierMeg

So far I haven't seen much the the "Giant" trait I was led to expect. It is about the same size as a couple of "regular" Sabal minors. Its coloration is its Wow Factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dartolution
On 4/29/2021 at 10:27 AM, teddytn said:

That’s weird, when I think of nurseries south of here I picture rows of every species of palm tree in every size, cactus, agaves. Pretty much my idea of heaven lol

Let me get this straight... you live in TN, and there are nurseries there that sell these? 

How is this... I live in the native range of most of those sabal species and yet... nothing here locally in a 70 mile radius. 

Am I missing something !?!?! :rant:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teddytn
54 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

Let me get this straight... you live in TN, and there are nurseries there that sell these? 

How is this... I live in the native range of most of those sabal species and yet... nothing here locally in a 70 mile radius. 

Am I missing something !?!?! :rant:

 

No no not at all lol! All the sabals at the beginning of this thread I drove to a nursery south of Atlanta to pick up. Snagged a few palms on my trips to Florida. Now and again odd ball stuff will show up locally like the med. I got from Home Depot. Which used to carry small blue pot trachys, and needle palms maybe 10 years ago. Pretty much everything else palm wise I’ve mail ordered. I may have worded that post poorly, when I said nurseries south of here I meant south of where I’m at, so close to where you live I would imagine they would be full of palms, whether it’s true or not is a different story. Definitely not rolling in palm diversity around here that’s for sure lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dartolution

@teddytn They have trachys, some butia, chammies, (sago's - cycad), and the rare saw palmetto pop up from time to time at my local lowes or at a nursery on HWY 280. 

Another nursery I usually go to north of me during the start of the growing season and load up on my annuals for around the property and my parents, has decided to start selling more palms this year. 

This year they had HUGE (12-18ft Chinese fan palms with trunk that they were installing in peoples yards in 7b.... no comment), Washingtonias, and trachys. 

Then they also had some bizzies, foxtail, adonidia, and bottle palms for sale in the greenhouse. 

 

The cold hardy palms at the location I mentioned above are outrageously priced - several hundred dollars for a butia in a 5 gallon pot. It's really robbery plain and simple. 

 

I usually go to a nursery south of here in Troy to get palms - although the last year or two they've been dealing with a rather nasty case of scale! :(

If you can get them right off the truck - they usually carry nice looking 2 gallon trachys for about $20, Butia's anywhere from 2gallon - 30 gallon. The 2 gallon I got in spring of last year was like $25. Silver saw palmettos, potted palmettos (small), potted sabal minors, chammies, etc.... 

They have good prices, and they are the only store locally (sort of) that I've found with any kind of variety. 

I activity seek out garden centers year round to see who has what. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teddytn
16 hours ago, Dartolution said:

@teddytn They have trachys, some butia, chammies, (sago's - cycad), and the rare saw palmetto pop up from time to time at my local lowes or at a nursery on HWY 280. 

Another nursery I usually go to north of me during the start of the growing season and load up on my annuals for around the property and my parents, has decided to start selling more palms this year. 

This year they had HUGE (12-18ft Chinese fan palms with trunk that they were installing in peoples yards in 7b.... no comment), Washingtonias, and trachys. 

Then they also had some bizzies, foxtail, adonidia, and bottle palms for sale in the greenhouse. 

 

The cold hardy palms at the location I mentioned above are outrageously priced - several hundred dollars for a butia in a 5 gallon pot. It's really robbery plain and simple. 

 

I usually go to a nursery south of here in Troy to get palms - although the last year or two they've been dealing with a rather nasty case of scale! :(

If you can get them right off the truck - they usually carry nice looking 2 gallon trachys for about $20, Butia's anywhere from 2gallon - 30 gallon. The 2 gallon I got in spring of last year was like $25. Silver saw palmettos, potted palmettos (small), potted sabal minors, chammies, etc.... 

They have good prices, and they are the only store locally (sort of) that I've found with any kind of variety. 

I activity seek out garden centers year round to see who has what. 

Same here. All the normal nurseries that do carry palms always stock palms that won’t survive. I’ve never seen a needle palm or sabal minor here for sale, but regularly see Bismarckia, Pygmy date palm, foxtails. Don’t get me wrong the whole deal here is to plant or keep palms as annuals (something I hate by the way). Too many people around Nashville with money to burn. I really wish I could find a place that sold Trachycarpus with in reasonable driving range. I’ve got a bunch of plant to plant quite a few trachies, but don’t want to pay crazy prices to mail order them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teddytn

@Dartolution I’ve got one Potted Sabal palmetto that has scale pretty bad, have you found anything that will get rid of it? Mainly just been using isopropyl and manual removal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dartolution

That helps initially. Coffee grounds has been shown to kill scale, and I believe imidacloprid as well. 

I had white scale pretty bad on a rescue silver saw this spring I picked up at a nursery. 

I've used imidacloprid granules and used coffee grounds and so far so good. 

Scale isn't something I've had to deal with previously however. Maybe someone here that has more pest pressure from scale can chime in. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • Will
      By Will
      Hey,
      I just got a small Sabal minor a week ago and was wondering if I can still plant it outside. Would it be better to wait for Spring so it can develop roots for a whole growing season or can I still plant it outside now?
      I am located in the Eastern parts of Austria, near to Vienna. So winters might get cold, but shouldn't drop below -12°C / 10°F.
       

    • ZPalms
      By ZPalms
      Sabal Palmetto has been in the ground since May 17th and it's already pushed out 1 strap leaf but working on another which looks different to me so maybe its going palmate? regardless it's cool it pushing out 2 leaves still in recovery mode! 
       


    • TobyM
      By TobyM
      Howdy yall. I’m making an effort to identify a beautiful Sabal which has been growing for at least three and not more than five years in a prototypical type locality of the North Texas palm: a mexican restaurant. I would have quickly assumed it to be a Sabal mexicana based on its size, depth of the costa, as well as the general abundance of this species hereabouts. But when I approached it I quickly noted the abundance of erect inflorescences, a quality reminding me more of S minor. Yet behold; the panicle is branched thrice, unlike minor.
      My next observation pertained to the plant’s performance during the ‘even younger dryas’ Texas Valentine’s ice age 2021. It is on a south facing stucco wall, protecting it from the wind during the ~141 hours below freezing with an ultimate low of -2F. It suffered ~65% defoliation but quickly recovered, making no delay in flowering this spring. Seems comparable to other S. mexicana in the area. 
      It is tied up to keep the fronds out of the drive-through, which I thought might be keeping the inflorescences upright. But my inspection left me feeling like the spikes are upright of their own accord, but of course I am uncertain. 
      The seeds are varied,  but larger than the S palmetto seed I have seen around here. The infloresence is quite stout. 
      Do you know if mexicana flowers before trunking? 
      Do you have a guess at the species? 
      Muchas gracias!
       





    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      For Sale in ONE LOT:
      Sabal minor Blountstown Dwarf year-old seedlings x 3
      Sabal minor Wakulla Dwarf year-old seedling x1
      Cost of palms = $20.00 for all
      Shipping = $10.00 via Priority Mail                 No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      TOTAL = $30.00
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested. Give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. I will PM back a quote. When you pay, tell me.
      NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.
      Photos

      Sabal minor Blountstown Dwarf


      Sabal minor Wakulla Dwarf

       
    • teddytn
      By teddytn
      Hoping anyone growing these can help. I’m picking up 2-5 gallon sabal Louisiana soon, just curious what everyone’s actual experience with them are. Are they just as cold hardy as sabal minor? Do they need to be protected in bad winters? Prone to spear pull? Thanks in advance!!
×
×
  • Create New...