IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Need a favor from anyone who grabbed a $89 mule from Lowes

Keys6505

I grabbed an 11 gal Mule from Lowes for $159 about a month ago.  I had a conversation with someone on here that it looked very close in size to the $89 6.5 gal Mule, so I didn't plant it for awhile in case I came across a 6.5 gal one and could compare sizes.  I finally got tired of waiting today so I planted it and as soon as I tipped the pot the perfectly intact 6.5 gal root ball popped out along with the extra dirt that filled up the difference.  I stuck it in the ground anyway but I'm going to see if I can bitch and moan my $70 back.  So, if anyone has one of the 6.5 gal plant would you be able to do me a solid and take a pic with a tape measurer showing the height so I can prove that I overpaid for a $89 plant?  It would be much appreciated.

20210426_131809.jpg

3 minutes ago, Keys6505 said:

I grabbed an 11 gal Mule from Lowes for $159 about a month ago.  I had a conversation with someone on here that it looked very close in size to the $89 6.5 gal Mule, so I didn't plant it for awhile in case I came across a 6.5 gal one and could compare sizes.  I finally got tired of waiting today so I planted it and as soon as I tipped the pot the perfectly intact 6.5 gal root ball popped out along with the extra dirt that filled up the difference.  I stuck it in the ground anyway but I'm going to see if I can bitch and moan my $70 back.  So, if anyone has one of the 6.5 gal plant would you be able to do me a solid and take a pic with a tape measurer showing the height so I can prove that I overpaid for a $89 plant?  It would be much appreciated.

20210426_131809.jpg

PM me

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

They certainty put a 7 gallon size in a large pot which is customary, but they didn’t give it a season or 2 to root out. It’s the ethic of it is the issue. It would be Acosta, the mule palm grower, not The Blue box store doing it on purpose. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

BigBoxStore (lowes) has a 1 year money back guarantee on plants. They will usually take them back provided you have a receipt of sale. 

They don't even ask questions most of the time. Just take it back and tell them your HOA didn't approve it. LOL 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

BigBoxStore (lowes) has a 1 year money back guarantee on plants. They will usually take them back provided you have a receipt of sale. 

They don't even ask questions most of the time. Just take it back and tell them your HOA didn't approve it. LOL 

This. Then buy the 6.5 gal one lol 

• Like 2

@Keys6505 Here is a Lowes 6.5 gal Mule.  On the tailgate of my truck.  Proper yardstick for size.  Ground to top frond arch is 63”, and width is about 48”.  Hope that helps your case. 4AB03494-F900-4B2E-A977-BD43B6775833.thumb.jpeg.b3b26f89ca292a907999c817c15f0be8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

It’s the ethic of it is the issue.

Exactly.

52 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

(lowes) has a 1 year money back guarantee on plants. They will usually take them back provided you have a receipt of sale. 

I actually took advantage of this after the freeze with a dead Bizzy. 

38 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

This. Then buy the 6.5 gal one lol

Problem is I haven't found any Mules since that first big delivery.  I was sitting on it in hopes that if they were close in size I'd just swap them out, but the Mules don't last long as each store usually only gets 1 or 2.

1 minute ago, jimmyt said:

@Keys6505 Here is a Lowes 6.5 gal Mule.  On the tailgate of my truck.  Proper yardstick for size.  Ground to top frond arch is 63”, and width is about 48”.  Hope that helps your case. 

Perfect, thank you sir!

I'm in construction and I've seen a lot of contractors bitch their way to a refund even if they were 100% in the wrong, which in this case I don't think I am.  You have to go through the 800 number not the store though.   We'll see.  If not I saved my dead queen trunk and they'll get that back in 6 months along with the Mule receipt and I'll get a full refund.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

If not I saved my dead queen trunk and they'll get that back in 6 months along with the Mule receipt and I'll get a full refund.

That my friend is genius and the best way to get back at them. What a shame honestly 

T J 

• Upvote 1

T J 

2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

That my friend is genius and the best way to get back at them. What a shame honestly 

T J 

Stick it to The Man :floor:

I would just plant it and forget about it.  You got scammed.  Is it worth the hassle to jump through a bunch of hoops to get a few bucks in a refund.  I would just plant it and chalk it up to lesson learned, they tried to scam me by stuffing some extra dirt in a bigger pot.  Oh wells. 

2 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

Is it worth the hassle to jump through a bunch of hoops to get a few bucks in a refund.

Yup.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

I would just plant it and forget about it.  You got scammed.  Is it worth the hassle to jump through a bunch of hoops to get a few bucks in a refund.  I would just plant it and chalk it up to lesson learned, they tried to scam me by stuffing some extra dirt in a bigger pot.  Oh wells. 

Of course it's worth the hassle. This is tyranny!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

I completely agree (buyer beware).  When a plant is returned to Lowe’s or Home Depot- the loss comes out of the supplier’s profits- not the box store’s.  

@Keys6505, that sucks what they did.  I have noticed some of the big boxes doing the same thing that you experienced.  Probably because the demand is high now and supply is low, but they are taking advantage in your case.  On a positive note, I managed to find the last 6.5 gallon mule in stock and was willing and expecting to pay the $89.  It had a dead frond and another half green/half brown, but they were older fronds and that's what they do.  It looked healthy otherwise.  The clerk on her own called a manager over to the register and had them mark it down 50% to $45.  So sometimes it works the other way...

1349564134_rsz_newmule.thumb.jpg.a5051cf7894940bd884eec405529a3bb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Jon Sunder

I have had that happen to me as well.  I go in expexting to buy full price and they decide on their own (without me asking) that they are going to give me 50% off.  That sucks what happened to you.  That being said Lowe's wasn't the one who did that it's the supplier which in this case is cosata.

23 hours ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

I completely agree (buyer beware).  When a plant is returned to Lowe’s or Home Depot- the loss comes out of the supplier’s profits- not the box store’s.  

I agree that it is the supplier's responsibility to ship their plants when they have filled out the pot.  Lowe's isn't a nursery; they're a retailer.  I suspect the grower did this to meet demand, knowing the palms weren't ready.

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 1

If anyone is desperate for a slightly overpriced ($159) and generously over potted mule, I just saw them unload a truck at League City Lowes and there was about a dozen mules in there.  They also have a lot of R. Rivularis that are 6'+ and just starting to trunk for $49.  I picked up one of these a few weeks ago but it was thinner, some of the ones that were there today had actual trunks forming.

Thanks maybe they shipped some 7 gallon somewhere. I need to check inventory. 

One decent 6.5 gal Mule still at the Waco Lowes as of last pm.  Lowes will eventually neglect it to death, or burn it up the the Texas summer sun! :crying:

49 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

One decent 6.5 gal Mule still at the Waco Lowes as of last pm.  Lowes will eventually neglect it to death, or burn it up the the Texas summer sun! :crying:

The one at Waco Lowe’s was turning golden yellow. I was hoping they would clearance it out. But the person in charge wasn’t there.

On 5/3/2021 at 7:41 PM, Keys6505 said:

If anyone is desperate for a slightly overpriced ($159) and generously over potted mule, I just saw them unload a truck at League City Lowes and there was about a dozen mules in there.  They also have a lot of R. Rivularis that are 6'+ and just starting to trunk for $49.  I picked up one of these a few weeks ago but it was thinner, some of the ones that were there today had actual trunks forming.

Thank you for the info I stopped by Lowes TC on the way home from work and the palms were wiped out. Glad to hear they still have some majesties left since I have been kicking myself for not buying a couple last time I was there. 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

@Collectorpalms. Yeah the garden department does not take very good care of their stock at the Waco Lowes.  They also got a few Butia 2 gal/5 gal in stock too!  They may eventually put the Mule on the discount rack but it may be too late for it by then.  

The Lowes here kinda sucks to be honest.  They bring in palms sporadically, one year there will be a hundred and the next nothing, the one after that maybe a dozen.  Home Depot is much better, each year they bring in more quantity and variety as they sell out quick.   And putting them on clearance!!  That will just never happen here, unless one sad one is hanging on into September.

10 hours ago, Chester B said:

Home Depot is much better, each year they bring in more quantity and variety as they sell out quick

That is the total opposite here in South Houston. HD doesn't even bother to compete with Lowes in the palm dept. Lowes was loaded back up today with large Foxtails and queens and a bunch of over potted mules for sale. I picked up two insanely stretched out R.Rivularis today. Hope I can keep them wet enough in full sun here haha.

20210505_180336.jpg

• Like 3

T J