PalmatierMeg

Corypha umbraculifera in Ft. Myers Park

PalmatierMeg

Last Sunday afternoon my husband decided to drop in on a Ft. Myers Palm Park, the one by the former railroad museum, to see what was up. Overall, the palms look okay but rather ungroomed, likely because of covid issues. But some of the palms were seeding and we scarfed some Copernicia baileyana and prunifera seeds that had escaped being cut down last year.

We also saw a juvenile Corypha umbraculifera that is already well on its way to dominating the rest of the park. It is already larger than my Sabal causiarum. My husband immediately fell in love with it. But I don't plan on getting one. I already have a young Tahina spectabilis and one giant monocarpic palm is enough. My husband took the following photos of that choice Corypha.

Corypha umbraculifera juvenile, Fort Myers, FL 2021

1670263050_Coryphaumbraculifera04042521.thumb.JPG.34be6d7bd1374c05c9a7eb433f1db6a5.JPG2134836700_Coryphaumbraculifera0104-25-21.thumb.JPG.c0e938e2cb0d73303578638bf525e509.JPG201162834_Coryphaumbraculifera0204-25-21.thumb.JPG.87fe519cd2fcd7d9e4bb6d5097d579ee.JPG

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

Palmarum

Very cool find to see in a city park. Would have turn my head around more than once if I was driving by. Probably would have gotten whiplash.

Ryan

• Like 2

RedRabbit

Thanks, that’s the biggest one I recall seeing in Florida.

• Like 1

OC2Texaspalmlvr

What a spectacular palm,  dream palm for a dream garden haha 

T J 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Coryphagrowers
      By Coryphagrowers
      Hola! 
      Wanted to share the batch of mature seeds we started recollecting from an adult Corypha Umbraculifera 
      It’s been a year since this palm fruited and now its the time when all fruits are mature and start falling to the ground. And we set ourselves on the mission to gather as much as we can. We collected one part pf the whole production, there are still a lot that have not fallen yet.
      Last year we recollected from another adult palm, having a lot of success in germinating them, we tested two different kinds of soil, one was more sandy and the other one was more clay. They liked the sand way better than the other clay soil, where most of the seedlings died.
      Can anyone share tips or recommendations on germinating these talipot seeds? 
      Does anyone have experience shipping seeds or plants from Costa Rica? We are very new at this so any suggestion or comment would be appreciated. We have so many seeds and won’t be able to plant all of them, but want to preserve and reproduce this amazing palm.
      Here some pictures:

• Coryphagrowers
      By Coryphagrowers
      Hola! My name is Paola and I live in Costa Rica.
      Long story short...almost a year ago my partner and I got curious about some massive palms that had a huge flower on top, months later we saw that one of them was bearing fruits, so we started researching on the internet because it was not a common species found in our country, so we found out that these palms where possibly Talipot palms or Corypha umbraculifera, due to the characteristics that they had. Not so many people know about this here in our country, so this exclusive event of nature, ended up not being noticed, and the neighbors didn’t got too impressed either. We also read about the unique way in which they reproduce, so we felt that we had to honor this palm genetics, so we gathered a lot of seeds, and seedlings that where germinating under the dying palm mom. 
      Since these palms are not native to Costa Rica, we wanted to understand a bit more of how they got here to the pacific coast of costa rica, so if someone has knowledge about this it would be interesting to know the history if these amazing palms.
      Also, we are just nature and plant lovers, so we don’t have any experience on growing these type of palms, so we would appreciate if anyone has recommendations about light exposure, fertilizers, or any tips that you can give us, so we can get to have them healthy and growing in good conditions.
      And since it is so hard to reproduce these beautiful palms, do you guys know if there is any conservation program for these species? Or if you think they can be transported to a specialized nursery or something like that?
      Any comments would be appreciated.
      I will attach some pictures, from the adult palms as well as the seedlings and young palms, I just feel they are magnificent and they need to be admired:

• BS Man about Palms
      By BS Man about Palms
      This is an update on the palm that the "PRA team" discovered several years back and posted. Mssrs Matty, Paul and Bob stopped by and posted this amazing find by Bob and accomplishment by Mike Edwards the owner!
      I saw the owner Mike outside as I drove by and stopped to chat. He said he got it MANY years ago as a seedling at a Palm Society meeting. He said he had picked up a seedling to look from a trayful and moments later Mardi Darian swooped in and grabbed the whole tray declaring "you can't grow those"! Well, I never saw one at Mardis...
      He then told me his secret! He said he barely got it up to a 1 gal size and had a Avocado tree near where this is, he said the leaves and mulch he had underneath were starting to make some warm compost, he decided to clear an area and plop the palm down right there! It wasn't rocket, but it responded well!

• Matthew92
      By Matthew92
      I guess this is a Corypha umbraculifera- at relatives place in Homestead. Planted in the early 2000's, had to be removed last year- had gotten way too big for the space it was in. Was taken out whole and transplanted somewhere else.

Reportedly in Wilma, the huge leaves were especially susceptible to tattering in the wind, and in the 2010 FL freeze, I was told it did get burned a little.

Earliest picture I have of it from mid-2003 can be seen on the far left:

• Moose
      By Moose
      Just received this e-mail from the South Florida Palm Society, Talipot Palm Begins to Flower at Pinecrest Gardens The Talipot Palm, Corypha umbraculifera, is a giant of the plant king- dom. It produces not only the largest leaf of any plant – 15-20 ft. in diam- eter – but also the largest inflorescence. That fabulous flower stalk sits atop the palm like a tropical Christmas tree, reaching 18-25 ft. high. It has been many years since a Talipot Palm bloomed in a public location in Miami-Dade County, but you can see one developing now at Pinecrest Gardens. The palm was planted at the former Parrot Jungle in 1965 by its horticulturist, Nat DeLeon, who from 1964 to 1966 served as the fifth president of the International Palm Society. The Talipot occupies a specialized niche among palms: It flowers only once before dying. In botanical parlance, it is said to be hapaxanthic. With pollination, flowers are replaced by fruit; a plant that produces fruit just once before expiring is referred to as monocarpic. A Talipot Palm lives roughly 30-80 years before starting its transition from vegetative to repro- ductive growth. In advance of flowering, the plant produces progressively smaller leaves until suddenly a singular inflorescence pops out above the crown. Over the next 12-18 months, it develops, flowers profusely and, with successful pollination, produces about a ton of golf ball-sized fruit. Folklore has it that the huge inflorescence holds a million flowers, but that number is exaggerated by a few hundred thousand. That still leaves a lot of flowers with the potential to produce fruit. Corypha has caused excitement even in the business world. When a Talipot Palm at Fairchild Tropical Garden flowered in 1984, The Wall Street Journal sent a reporter and sketch artist to the Garden to cover it. The resulting article, entitled "The Talipot: Bloom and Doom," was perhaps an allegory for bull markets. Unfortunately, pollination was poor, and just a few hundred fruits matured. A much more successful Talipot flowering occurred about three years later on New Providence Island in The Bahamas. The site was The Retreat, home since 1925 of Arthur and Margaret "Wumpsie" Langlois, dedicated palm collectors. By 1987 both of them had died, but their property had long since been transferred to the Bahamas National Trust, an organization cre- ated in 1959 to conserve natural resources in The Bahamas. (The 11-acre Retreat is now not only a national park, but also the Trust's administrative headquarters and educational center.) Supporters of The Retreat proposed that the Talipot fruit be sold to raise funds to help defray costs of maintaining The Retreat. Stanley Kiem, a board member of the South Florida Palm Society and a longtime friend of the Langloises, suggested that the fruit could be mailed to buyers more eas- ily from the U.S. than from The Bahamas. The parties agreed that the SFPS would take on sales and shipping duties, then remit revenues to The Retreat. That decision led to a once-in-a-lifetime experience for at least one per- son – a desk clerk at the David William Hotel in Coral Gables. One of the Langloises' old friends liked to come to Miami once in a while to shop. She offered to bring the cleaned fruit on one of those visits. On arrival at the David William, she phoned me to say that she would leave the seeds in a suitcase at the front desk of the hotel while she went away for the day. She asked that I bring a box to take the seeds, because she wanted the suitcase back. Late that afternoon, following work, I drove to the hotel and walked in with a cardboard box. The only person in the small lobby was the elderly desk clerk. When I mentioned the guest from Nassau, he produced the suit- case and set it on his counter. I unzipped the suitcase, and what I saw was thousands of seeds, stuffed into baggies and heavily dusted with fungicide. What the desk clerk saw was DRUGS!!! As I lifted each baggie out of the suitcase and placed it into the box, his eyes opened wider and wider. I did not offer an explanation. Upon finishing, I thanked him and left with the box of valuable cargo. I have always imagined that the clerk went home after his shift and told his wife that he had just stumbled onto a huge international cocaine smuggling operation. The distribution of the Corypha seed around the U.S. was not as dramatic, but it proved to be a very successful fundraiser for The Retreat. And surely a good number of Talipot Palms made their way into the ground in the warmer parts of the United States. If you'd like to follow the progress of Pinecrest Gardens' Talipot Palm, drop by any day. Winter hours are 10:00 - 5:00 Monday through Friday and 9:00 - 5:00 Saturday and Sunday. Admission is $5; $3, for visitors 65 and above. Leonard Goldstein