Sign in to follow this  
sandgroper

Worm farm

sandgroper

Does anyone else have a Worm farm? I reckon they're great, we throw all our veggie scraps into this thing along with paper, cardboard - virtually anything organic other than meat scraps and the Worms make it into a fantastic fertiliser. This set-up produces "Worm tea" which when watered down is amazing, you can see the difference on plants watered with this in a matter of days. The beds provide an incredible fertiliser once the Worms have finished with it, it's like a really rich compost that produces very impressive results when dug in around the plants.  This Worm farm is pretty easy too as you rotate from bottom to top and as the Worms finish their work on the bottom tub they move up to the next level. My wife and daughter got this thing for my birthday last year and I love it, I never would have thought that I'd get so much enjoyment from farming Worms but they're great, couldn't recommend them highly enough.

Screenshot_20210426-110921.png

Screenshot_20210426-110950.png

Screenshot_20210426-110901.png

• Like 5

Butch

Cool idea. 
Butch

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      So I looked at the top of the soil that I have my Sabal minor in and there is a weird slime. I thought it was mold or something so I put it in the sun (to hopefully kill it) and when I put it in the sun I noticed it looked like it was sparkling, like water in a lake. I looked closer and there are these tiny worm or maggot things in it. Does anyone know what these are and how to get rid of them? Are they harmful? 

• nicholas99
      By nicholas99
      We planted 12 small Livistona decipiens (formerly decora) in their endemic range here in Australia about 9 months ago with a combination of potting mix and the local good organic/clay soil on a moderately steep slope in full sun. A couple of them show individual palm fronds/leaflets that are quite "ruffled" (see photos here: https://goo.gl/photos/KE6GSVR29h48oRfS9 ). Is this a normal growth variation or indicative of a deficiency such as Calcium or Boron? If a deficiency, what's the best solution? 

BTW, we also have a triangle palm in a pot under greywater irrigation in almost full shade with a somewhat similarly ruffled frond/leaflets
      (see photos: https://goo.gl/photos/uZUFe5mb8GKmb4HU7 ).

If you know what causes this please let me know. 

• Phil Wright
      By Phil Wright
      Hello everyone,
      I have a question about the rather dull subject of fertiliser.  In particular fertilising palms in containers.  Having done a little reading (and confused myself as much as clarified matters) I’ve tried to set out below the problem and what I believe is the answer.  If anyone can help I’ll happily summarise the responses so others can learn from this.
      Many thanks,
      Phil
      ---
      I’ve been growing palms in a greenhouse for a number of years now as well as gradually moving them outside and re-potting into large grow-bags as they mature.  They’re growing well but don’t seem to be growing at the pace they could be.  In the past we’ve used rotted bark as potting mix but have now switched to quality potting mix.  I’m also sure we’re not using the right fertiliser (it’s been recommended but I’m doubtful as to whether it’s right for palm trees).
      The climate in northern NZ is maritime, warm-temperate (night/day16/24C in summer, 8/16C in winter, rare light frosts, damp and humid).  There are two groups of palms (all grown in grow-bags); young palms several years old in 2-15 litre bags, older palms in 40-120L bags.  The smaller palms are in an unheated greenhouse, the medium sized palms in a shade-house and larger ones outside with some or no protection depending upon the species.  The palms grow well (a little yellow in spring if exposed to frost) but don’t grow very fast.  Some of this may be due to water and being kept in small bags for too long (we’re resolving both of these problems) but I don’t feel they’re growing at an optimum speed.
      We’ve recently switched from using rotted bark to using a quality potting mix with someone called CAN (Calcium ammonium nitrate).  We’re also using Yaramila Complex slow release during the growing season and recently started using Nitrosol liquid fertiliser on the leaves every few weeks.  Details on the two fertilisers below.
      This is where I get stuck.  Fertilising seems to have many complex rules and exceptions to these rules.  I’m trying to find a general ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution (albeit with refinements for the age and location of the palm) that I can then improve on over time.
      What I know so far has mostly been picked up from Timothy Broschat’s excellent book ‘Ornamental Palm Horticulture’...
      ·         High Nitrogen is required: ideally an NPK ratio of 3:1:2
      ·         Dolomite is needed to release Mg and Ca
      ·         Sulphate forms of Mn, Zn, Cu, and Fe are also required
      ·         Other trace elements required are B, Cl
      ·         It’s practically impossible for the amateur to figure out what trace elements are missing from a sick palm (symptoms of practically all deficiencies look the same to me) so best to ensure a good mix of trace elements.

The fertiliser we’re using is:
      Yaramila Complex
      ·         NPK analysis 12-5-15
      ·         Nitrogen (N) 12.4%
      ·         of which nitrate N 4.9%
      ·         and ammonium N 7.4%
      ·         Phosphorus 5.2% (water-soluble P 65%)
      ·         Potassium 14.7%
      ·         Sulphur 8.0%
      This seems to have the wrong NPK balance to me.
      Nitrosol (liquid fertiliser)
      “Designed as a total replacement, one-step fertiliser containing:
      ·         A balanced supply of the major nutrients N. P. and K. (8.3.6.) - all readily plant available to feed through BOTH the foliage and roots.
      ·         The organic matter from blood and bone includes amino acids, albumin, globulin, cholesterol, humates and protein, the building blocks of life.
      ·         A carefully balanced formulation of all the essential trace elements and minerals
      ·         Two naturally occurring growth promotants”
      A better balance but I’m not sure we can rely upon this alone.  Also, it’s time-consuming to apply.
      We’re also considering YaraBela CAN:
      ·         Nitrogen (N) 27%
      ·         of which nitrate N 13.5%
      ·         and ammonium N 13.5%
      ·         Magnesium 2.0%
      ·         Calcium 4.0%
      ·         Bulk density 1.04 kg per litre
      No idea about this one but I’ve been told that many growers use high nitrogen fertiliser mixed with other things.
      My question is relatively simple; if you were in my position, what one or two things would you do differently?  Or, put another way, what’s the one (or more than one!) thing I’m doing that just looks plain wring to you?  My guess is that Yaramila Complex isn’t right for palms but I’m happy to be corrected.
      Thanks again.
      Phil